Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm giving Studebaker a little national exposure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm giving Studebaker a little national exposure!

This is fairly exciting, and I could hardly wait to get over here and share the news.

I think a lot of you know I've been losing weight and getting in shape. I've been on this journey for a little under 8 and a half months, and thus far I've managed to lose a little over 190 pounds as of today. (If you want to see my latest progress picture, here's a link.)

Anyway, I guess some folks find this impressive. As a result, I got an email, followed by a phone call from the corporate offices of my gym. As fate would have it, they're the sponsors of The Biggest Loser, and this is the time of year they kick into high gear and start a bunch of marketing projects to feed off the momentum of being the sponsor of one of the most-watched shows on TV.

Long story short, they asked me if they could come to Omaha and film my story to share on a new web project they're starting, and I said yes to that. But here's where it gets cool, and the Studebaker content starts coming out:

The marketing agent who asked me about my story was asking about areas of significance in my life, and so I told him about my grandpa, the impact he had on my life, the void his much-too-early death from his smoking habit left, and ultimately my wake up call and desire not to do the same thing to my kids and future grandkids through eating. I brought up that he got me into cars, and that I had a '63 Lark which thanks to my progress is now much easier to work on and drive.

He loved all of this, and felt like my car should be a fairly integral part of my story when they come to film. This is awesome, because this is going out on their national media. At the very least it will be on the web through a national campaign they're going to kick off, and it sounds like some of these stories may be used to advertise this campaign during ad spots on The Biggest Loser. If any part of my story gets to that point, it will put a Studebaker on TV sets in millions of homes. Even if in never goes on the TV, it sounds like the web exposure alone will be fairly massive.

I've got to say, I'm pretty stoked about this. Since I started this journey I've really felt a desire to help others start turning their life around, and getting my story out there might help motivate some folks to do that. But the icing on the cake is that a car make which has always been very near and dear to my heart (and probably yours!), and not just another Chevy with a belly button, will be featured as the "hot rod of choice" of a with-it younger adult who's doing amazing things with his life. (The marketers tell me that's me. I'm skeptical!)

They'll be in town next week to film, and I have no idea how long it will be before they start airing these videos, but I'll keep you guys informed, at least if the Studebaker truly does get to be my partner on screen.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Man!!! A hundred and ninety pounds!!! You've lost a whole ME! In fact, right now, you've lost more than a whole me. Congratulations.

I started out early this spring (after a winter of watching TV, snacking, etc.) weighing around 196, but with the garden, building an addition onto a barn, and other outdoor activities, I have sweated my way down to 174. Of course, I can re-hydrate myself back up two or three pounds over-night. I hope you realize some great health and longevity benefits for all your efforts. I have not watched a lot of that particular program, but my wife (a nurse) has. I'll relate your post to her and ask her to look for your story if it makes it beyond the editing stage. Thanks for the heads up and keep us updated.

I've enjoyed your posts and wish you continued success with your Studebaker along with your professional and personal life.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Amazing story Jim! Great Stude connection, but your story is an inspiration for all! Keep up the journey!
      '57 Silver Hawk
      '57 Golden Hawk
      '51 Champion

Comment

Wow, that's great! I gripe about the 10 lbs I'm not losing...though I admit I am not trying very hard. Keep up the great work!
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

That is very exciting. I never miss biggest loser so I'll keep an eye out for you! Keep up the hard work!

Comment

Absolutely amazing. You are an inspiration to many, whom you will never meet. Please keep us posted !

Comment

Good things come to good people, congrats on the weight loss and a reward for doing it. The Studebaker is secondary but neat. Bob

Comment

Awesome job! I ran a Spartan Race in July and met several past contestants from The Biggest Loser who were taking part. Anyone with that kind of dedication is inspirational for sure.

Comment

Congratulations on your successful efforts in weight reduction. Your reward will be better health and sense of well-being. Also, you will enjoy your family, friends, and Studebaker longer. We will watch your postings for dzte and time as the opportunity firms up.
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Jim - The Studebaker exposure is great but your personal achievement far outweighs it! Thanks for sharing it with us and keep up the hard work.

Randy
                    Randy Ridenour
                    Frostburg,MD
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    sigpic

Comment

Congratulations Jim!
                      Though I'm happy about the Studebaker exposure, it pales in comparison to your better health and having your positivity here on the forum. Good on you!
                      Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

I also congratulate you on the weight loss and thank you for the forthcoming Studebaker exposure. If there are any SDC resources you can use shoot me an email, Jim.
                        sigpic
                        Bob Shaw
                        Rush City, Minnesota
                        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I won't recognize you when I come to Omaha next time. Good job.

Denny L

Comment

Awesome story!

Comment

Mighty cool indeed!!!
                              I'm that kinda lucky guy who always been able to eat whatever I want & done that too but these days -I'm 54 now- I'm really worried 'bout pals who's been gaining to much weight:
                              A friend I've known since we were 7 years old had a stroke just before reaching 50, that's 'bout 4 years ago now & I used to go on about eating healthy food (that once opened my own eyes when I was 23 & worked with a guy that was 49 but looked MORE than 10 years younger & told me he didn't eat red meat & especially not pork & if red meat then only wild/"game") but my friend just went on about how good it tasted...
                              & I said "yeah but not every day & think about when we were kids what we used to favour, it wasn't pork or cow + everything fried..."
                              So I am really happy when ever I hear of someone who's turning his/hers life into a lighter future.
                              I also have a daughter who's been a sugar-adict since about 3 years of age, born -88 she finds herself adult enough to refuse to see all this.
                              & I feel guilty most of the time; I shouldn't say anything since I'm like a stick myself...
                              (But I'm also crazy 'bout Studebakers!!! )

Comment

Working...
                              X