Rockne production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockne production

I watch "American Pickers" on TV frequently. The other night they uncovered a Studebaker /Rockne sign that was valued at $6500. They gave what I thought was bogus info on the Rockne. The info they presented was that the Rockne was only produced 1 year, that he died before the car was introduced, and his death resulted in Studebakers financial collapse. What was the actual production year(s) and did Coach die before the first Rockne was produced?

bhap

They were produced in the 1932 and 1933 model years (1932 in Detroit and 1933 in South Bend). Yes, Rockne was killed in an airplane accident near Bazaar, Kansas (along with 7 others) on March 31, 1931 about nine months before Rockne production began. His passing had little or nothing to do with Studebakers going into receivership in 1933. At the time he was head of Studebaker Sales Promotion. My Rockne sign below. Got it much cheaper than $6500!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rockne knute with 32 pc copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1692061 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2829 copy.jpg
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1692063
    Attached Files
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

That picture with Knute was cut and pasted, probably by the ad dept.! Notice his shadow. Definitely superimposed someway.

Comment

This one was at a winter car show I attended

Name:	1932 rockne.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1692066Click image for larger version

Name:	rockne interior.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1692067
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          They were produced in the 1932 and 1933 model years (1932 in Detroit and 1933 in South Bend). Yes, Rockne was killed in an airplane accident near Bazaar, Kansas (along with 7 others) on March 31, 1931 about nine months before Rockne production began. His passing had little or nothing to do with Studebakers going into receivership in 1933. At the time he was head of Studebaker Sales Promotion. My Rockne sign below. Got it much cheaper than $6500!
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]37661[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]37663[/ATTACH]
          Richard,
          You should send them an e-mail with the correct info. $6500 was the asking price for the sign, they didn't offer that much. I don't know who does the research for the show, but they often have bad data.

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
            That picture with Knute was cut and pasted, probably by the ad dept.! Notice his shadow. Definitely superimposed someway.
            Not the ad dept., just me having a little fun in Photoshop!
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The most detailed articles I have seen on the history and production of the Rockne appeared in The Antique Studebaker Review, Vol.3 No.4 of Nov-Dec, 1973 by Terry Cannon and Vol.14 No.6 of March-April, 1985 by a variety of contributors; Richard Quinn, editor.

If anyone has a question that wasn't answered in those two issues...I don't know what to tell you.

Name:	Rockne pickup.jpg
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1692082 Click image for larger version

Name:	Rockne name.jpg
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1692083
              Last edited by rockne10; 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
              X