Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need functioning WCFB for a 55 President. Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need functioning WCFB for a 55 President. Thanks.

Please if you can help. cheers jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Jim,
    Have you looked on eBay? I believe I saw a nice one that would fit a Studebaker just a few days ago. I don't remember what they wanted for it, however.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Check with Barry Hackney, I gave him one to sell, running when removed, needs rebuild.

Comment

Thank you/ jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

OK, I love to know what a WCFB is?
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
            OK, I love to know what a WCFB is?
            Carter 4 barrel carburetor, used on Studebakers '55 - '62.

(Now I know that AFB stands for "Aluminum Four Bore" but considering that a WCFB has a cast iron base, a zinc middle section, and an aluminum top - I don't know if WC refers to anything specific.)

Comment

W. Carter four barrel. W. was his first name. Sounds good to me.

Comment

I read that WCFB meant "white cast four barrel" for the material used in the casting process.

Comment

I think I recall reading it stands for Walter Carter's Four Bbl. Josh took the WCFB off his 60 lark and put on an Edelbrock. He might sell his. What's it worth?
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Willie Carter Four Barrel.
                    61 lark cruiser
                    64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Hi Jim,
                      I will check with my bro-in-law on the one I mentioned to you in MV last weekend. Will swap it onto the 56J for a bit and check it out, then send it your way. But I gotta warn you, no matter if its working perfectly, its still a WCFB, and is sure to disappoint.

As serious as you are about driving Studes, have you considered an Edlebrock, Holley, or Demon carb? Not correct, but if you ever have to call a tow truck, it will not be due to one of those carbs' failing.

Comment

"...sure to disappoint."? In what way? I guess if one just wants a big boost in performance, the smallish WCFB would be a disappointment. However, the WCFB does add some additional acceleration when its secondaries open and, yet, it is capable of delivering pretty good gas mileage, especially the earlier version like he is wanting. The secondaries are hardly any larger than the primaries. I have had WCFB carbs on every Studebaker I have owned except my Hawk, which came with an AFB. I have one on the '64 Cruiser that is my every day driver. I rather like those small 4-barrel carburetors. They have given me good service over hundreds of thousands of miles of driving and never once have I had to call a tow truck because of carb trouble. ~Dale

Comment

I have been running a WCFB on my Silverhawk for more than 30 years.I have yet to be dissapointed. I was disapointed by the AFB on my GT.I replaced it with an Edelbrock. Same with the Quadrajet on my Avanti II. It also now has an Edelbrock.
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

Most of my experience with WCFBs has been on 56Js. The 385 CFM is just not enough flow, and causes the 352 to begin wheezing at much above 3500 RPM. Other than on 352s, if a Stude V8 owner does not mind fuel starvation on turns, motor dying on hard stops, sticking floats, rough idle, inconsistent idle return RPM, difficult hot restarts, and mediocre fuel mileage, there's absolutely nothing wrong with WCFBs. There couldn't possibly be anything better anyway, or Studebaker woulda thought of it 50 years ago

While most of us can learn to live with the above idiosyncrasies, once a better carb is tried, its hard to go back to WCFB; I tried a couple of times, but took them off again in short order. That's why I gave the one mentioned above to my bro-in-law, and now offer to get back from him (since he's not using it) and give it to Jim. I'd feel guilty if I charged a nickel for it from anyone.

There are some recognized experts in our world who claim to be able to cure all of the WCFB's maladies---for several hundred bucks. I had a conversation with one of those folks a couple of years ago at SB, but walked away when it just got too deep for me.

Just my experience and resultant opinion. Of course other folks have their own.

Comment

Joe, All these symtems you describe,I have experienced with the worn out AFB that was on my GT.That is why I changed to the Edelbrock. But I have never had those kind of problems with the wcfb on my SilverHawk. But I have always used premium gas,eth.free when possible and added some lead. I have had very good luck with the little 4bbl on other cars also.Admittedly,the wide open throttle response is not as great as the AFB,but as far as the "Get in it and go"factor, I love my WCFB. It beats the Stromberg 2bbl all over the place. But as you say,I don't have 352 cubes to feed.
                              Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X