Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1950 Studebaker Starlight Prototype from Proving ground graveyard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Studebaker Starlight Prototype from Proving ground graveyard.

Hi everyone im new here.

I live in Melbourne Australia and am the owner of a 1950??? Studebaker Starlight? Coupe.
    After getting very little response from the Studebaker car club in Australia i thought i would check out the American forum.
    I was surprised and shocked to read about a prototype 1953 owned by a guy called Chris and further surprised to notice the body similarities and construction on Chris's car when compared to the vehicle i own.
    I would like to make contact with Chris if he is reading this.
    This is why:

Im 40 years young and own a 1950 Studebaker Coupe.
    I bought this car here in Australia in 1990 as a sixteen year old teenager with the help of my late father and have had it ever since.
    The car was a left hand drive import out of California and this is what I was told by the seller:

The body was pulled from the Studebaker testing ground or dumping ground for test cars in the early 1970's and was one of two starlight coupes removed and stored away, the body was bare, no running gear. In the early 80's it was sent to California for "Major" restoration and rust repairs.
    The body year was unknown but somewhere around 47-52.

The restored body was finished in the mid 80's assembled using a 1950 Studebaker as a donor car, it was painted black and from a photo i have taken in the 1980's it looked like a restored car, at least on the outside.
    In the late 80's the guy I bought it off was bringing a lot of cars into Australia from the States and lived about 10 mins from me in the Macedon Ranges, he said he bought the vehicle off a guy named Randell Hodgson or similar , will have to go through my notes to confirm actual spelling who lived in America and use to sell a lot of American cars in the 80's.
    Randell told him the history of the car and thats what was passed on to me in 1990 when i bought it for $2000 Aust.
    Ive always taken this story with a grain of salt up until now when i read about the Studebaker grave yard and Chris' s car. My car was imported with a chassis and engine number, it has no body tags or plates etc.
    Even though it has a bullet nose at the front it also bares some striking similarities to Chris' car.
    If you are reading this Chris i would like to discuss this with you or if anyone else can shed some light on this I would appreciate the assistance.
    The vehicle is still left hand drive and a running driving older " restoration ".
    I believe the donor car was a clean original example if the interior in my car is anything to go by, it looks to be original. It is also a 6-cylinder and 3 speed manual.

Thanks in advance,

Damion, Australia.
    Last edited by studefan1970; 09-09-2014, 01:20 PM. Reason: Add information that may help identify

Hi Damion,

We can probably give you a lot of help with this interesting car if you can post a few photos.

Otherwise, PM me with contact details.

Thanks,

Chris.
    STUDEBAKER of AUSTRALIA

Comment

Hi Chris, i will take some photos next week when i get back from Port Douglas.
      I will PM you my details also. Do you know of the gentleman im trying to get a hold of? His name is Chris and ownes a 52-53 prototype out of the same place mine came from. I am looking to head over to the States at some point and want to head over to South Bend.
      Have you got a contact in Melbourne? I notice your in Qld??
      I am an ex member of the Macedon Ranges car club which host's the Picnic at Hanging Rock car show.
      I haven't been a member for a great many years though, it was the 1990's when i was most active with the club.
      The Studebaker is still a runner driver, it has a Commander bullet front and I believe it probably was a Commander prototype body to begin with. It has a 6-cyl side valve and three speed manual gear box, there are some quite noticeable irregularities with the body but i just don't know how much is original anymore. From what I've read and what i was told by previous owner as past down by the American guy Randall the car was removed as a fairly complete body with some interior but no chassis or running gear.

Do you know anything about this story?

Comment

The man you want is Chris Dresbach. He is one of our Forum moderators. You can reach him on the Forum under Chris_Dresbach. He is a firefighter in the South Bend area and also works for Studebaker International in South Bend.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Chris bought that 1952/53 car from me on ebay.
          It is an interesting car and came to me via Brad Kuchan who rescued it.
          Neither Brad nor me had the resources to do the car justice but both of us knew it was special.
          It was brought to me on an original cart marked Studebaker which was probably used in the styling department to move bodies on.
          The car did not have a chassis.
          I still have the cart if someone would be interested in saving it.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Here are a few pictures of Chris' prototype that I took when he had it on display at the 2012 International Meet in South Bend. Hopefully Chris will chime in with more info.
            Attached Files
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Is anyone able to shed more light on the proving ground grave yard or what cars were removed in the 1970's?

Someone on the forum here must have some knowledge of what has left the dumping ground.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                Here are a few pictures of Chris' prototype that I took when he had it on display at the 2012 International Meet in South Bend. Hopefully Chris will chime in with more info.
                Great photos of this prototype, any reason this car has taken so long for restoration to commence? ?

It couldn't be too hard with a donor car , could it?

I read about a plastic body Wagon, does anyone know what happened to it?

I can't for the life of me work out why these car bodies were removed and then fell into private hands. They are Studebaker history and should be treated as high priority.

Comment

I would be interested in the cart.
                  I have a friend heading to U.S in next month.
                  I can organize the transport and shipping to Australia.
                  If you can PM me your details i will forward you my contact details.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                    Chris bought that 1952/53 car from me on ebay.
                    It is an interesting car and came to me via Brad Kuchan who rescued it.
                    Neither Brad nor me had the resources to do the car justice but both of us knew it was special.
                    It was brought to me on an original cart marked Studebaker which was probably used in the styling department to move bodies on.
                    The car did not have a chassis.
                    I still have the cart if someone would be interested in saving it.

Yes i would be interested in saving it Robert. As per msg bellow, please PM me your contact details.
                    Cheers, Damion

Robert Kapteyn
                    Yes i would be Keen to save it Robert as per msg bellow.
                    Please PM me your contact details and I will organize the transportation etc to Australia.

Comment

Here are more photos of it.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        Here are more photos of it.

Craig
                        Great photos mate! Very similar in the body to my car , no sun roof though. :-(

Comment

I don't think ANY of us will live long enough to even see the restoration started. stupak

Comment

It seems we are missing pictures for comparison.

Post them up!?!?

Dean.

Comment

Email me at studebaker@mac.com.
                              I had a stroke in January and can not deal with shipping this cart.
                              I can ask friends to work with your contact.
                              Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
                              X