Put Double Brake Pedal On 56

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put Double Brake Pedal On 56

I sure like this better than a single pedal for automatic transmission.

What is the advantage of this set up ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Type 'A' utilized the unused clutch pedal...Type 'B' adapted a 'new' pedal directly to the original brake pedal. Both systems utilized the Studebaker 'Put Your Foot On It' brake pedal pad, that spanned the two pedals allowing for easy left OR right foot braking!

Comment

Ed, so can I assume the pedal pad is a different part # from what the factory intalled,and must be a wider pedal also.
        Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        Type 'A' utilized the unused clutch pedal...Type 'B' adapted a 'new' pedal directly to the original brake pedal. Both systems utilized the Studebaker 'Put Your Foot On It' brake pedal pad, that spanned the two pedals allowing for easy left OR right foot braking!
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
          Ed, so can I assume the pedal pad is a different part # from what the factory intalled,and must be a wider pedal also.
          Yes. On every '53 Coupe I have owned with the factory automatic transmission, the wide brake pedal with the two rods going through the floor was standard.
          It was nice for Studebaker Corp. to do it like that, because on a '53 you needed that big pedal for BOTH feet. No <G> here.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Huh, I don't remember My 55 Pres HT with auto having that feature.
            Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
            Yes. On every '53 Coupe I have owned with the factory automatic transmission, the wide brake pedal with the two rods going through the floor was standard.
            It was nice for Studebaker Corp. to do it like that, because on a '53 you needed that big pedal for BOTH feet. No <G> here.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
              Huh, I don't remember My 55 Pres HT with auto having that feature.
              That's because the smaller pedals 'across the board' started in 1955.
              (I think)
              My parts book is around here somewhere...

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

My 51 has a dual rod wide brake pedal. I agree you need that big pedal so you can put both feet on it to get it stopped!
                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Was this an option?

Comment

No. It was standard with the automatic tranny. I think.

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                    Was this an option?
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                      My 51 has a dual rod wide brake pedal. I agree you need that big pedal so you can put both feet on it to get it stopped!
                      Well, my '51, with automatic, has it also, but I've never put both feet on the pedal. A few years ago, we had a discussion here titled "over engineered." The double rod brake pedal is an excellent example.

I would have liked to have a video of the Studebaker staff meeting where design engineers, bean counters, and production were deciding how these models were to be constructed. I can hear some skeptic blurt out..."What are we going to do 'bout all the floor pans with the hole punched out for the clutch pedal rod?" The "materials manager" (getting kickbacks for buying the floor panels) pleads his case for keeping all the panels with the extra hole, and then for the supplier of the extra clutch pedal rods (also slipping money "under the table") in order to keep his benefactors from taking a huge loss and endangering future sleazy volume-buy kickback schemes.

I know this is a rather cynical speculation, but I recall Bob Bourke relating a story of some purchasing scandal where sub-par door latches were approved over engineering objections. Over the years, stories of such practices are legendary.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I think we're missing the point on why Studebaker offered this brake pedal setup. Today most folks work the accelerator and brake pedals with their right foot only. Back in the early fifties, when automatic transmissions were still unfamiliar to many people, braking with the left foot was considered quite normal. (two-foot driving) Some folks still prefer to operate their vehicles this way today!....but the true reason for Studebaker's extra wide pedal was ease of left foot braking.

Comment

Ed,that's kinda where I was with this . I always thought We were taught NOT to use the left foot for braking "and even before My time People were NOT supposed to do that". but this just adds to the list of times I've been wrong ,so now in 2014 I'm gonna drive My Champ from back in the day - and use My left foot all over Town .
                          Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          I think we're missing the point on why Studebaker offered this brake pedal setup. Today most folks work the accelerator and brake pedals with their right foot only. Back in the early fifties, when automatic transmissions were still unfamiliar to many people, braking with the left foot was considered quite normal. (two-foot driving) Some folks still prefer to operate their vehicles this way today!....but the true reason for Studebaker's extra wide pedal was ease of left foot braking.
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Well...I recall my dad and older brother criticizing drivers using their left foot on automatics as we drove down the highway back in the '50's and 60's. You could always tell when following someone, doing the "left foot" thing, by the brake light fluttering on and off as they unconsciously allowed their foot to rest too heavy on the brake pedal. This is what my dad (a professional truck driver) called "riding" the brakes. In worse cases, you could smell the hot brakes. In 1951, we got our first family car. It was a 1951 straight 8 powered Pontiac Woodie station wagon. My dad taught my mom to drive, and I recall him instructing her to not use her left foot for braking. (I was in the third grade then.)

Later, in 1962, I took driver's training in high school. Although our training car was a '60 Plymouth with manual shift (and dual controls)...we were instructed to never use our left foot for brakes (when driving automatics) because of the tendency to ride the brakes. My first car was a 1955 Buick, automatic, with a fairly large brake pedal (no dual shaft) and my second was a 1960 Pontiac, automatic, large brake pedal, no dual shaft. Unless someone produces a document or person who "was there" for the decision, I'll always think the dual pedal shafts were simply another case of "over-build." Whether "single foot" or "two foot" the dual shaft was an unnecessary feature. I have a Lark with a single shaft peddle, and (I think) the unrestored 55 President coupe in my man cave is single shaft brake peddle.

In 1969, I taught my girlfriend (now my wife) to drive. She refused to learn on a manual, so we parked my four speed Falcon Sprint, and used her mother's 67 automatic Mustang. I taught her to use only her right foot for brakes. I've watched the NASCAR foot cams and understand why those guys need the brake and accelerator coordination/response that demands two foot controls, but for every day driving, no.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              Well...I recall my dad and older brother criticizing drivers using their left foot on automatics as we drove down the highway back in the '50's and 60's. You could always tell when following someone, doing the "left foot" thing, by the brake light fluttering on and off as they unconsciously allowed their foot to rest too heavy on the brake pedal. This is what my dad (a professional truck driver) called "riding" the brakes. In worse cases, you could smell the hot brakes. In 1951, we got our first family car. It was a 1951 straight 8 powered Pontiac Woodie station wagon. My dad taught my mom to drive, and I recall him instructing her to not use her left foot for braking. (I was in the third grade then.)

Later, in 1962, I took driver's training in high school. Although our training car was a '60 Plymouth with manual shift (and dual controls)...we were instructed to never use our left foot for brakes (when driving automatics) because of the tendency to ride the brakes. My first car was a 1955 Buick, automatic, with a fairly large brake pedal (no dual shaft) and my second was a 1960 Pontiac, automatic, large brake pedal, no dual shaft. Unless someone produces a document or person who "was there" for the decision, I'll always think the dual pedal shafts were simply another case of "over-build." Whether "single foot" or "two foot" the dual shaft was an unnecessary feature. I have a Lark with a single shaft peddle, and (I think) the unrestored 55 President coupe in my man cave is single shaft brake peddle.

In 1969, I taught my girlfriend (now my wife) to drive. She refused to learn on a manual, so we parked my four speed Falcon Sprint, and used her mother's 67 automatic Mustang. I taught her to use only her right foot for brakes. I've watched the NASCAR foot cams and understand why those guys need the brake and accelerator coordination/response that demands two foot controls, but for every day driving, no.
                              Great story!...by the way, you mentioned your Falcon Sprint..I'm not really a fan of the Falcon, but the other night I attended a cruise in and parked beside a PRISTINE
                              '63 Ford Falcon Sprint convertible just up from Florida....260 (I believe) V8 with four speed transmission. Champagne in color with matching interior....it was far and away the nicest Ford Falcon I've seen in many years.

Comment

Working...
                              X