'56 President Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: '56 President Fuel Pump

I posted on this problem about a year ago, but I got busy and just finally got back to working on the car. The fuel pump was leaking fuel into the oil. I tried a replacement from o'reilly's. It did the same thing. Called Fairborn, but never did get instructions as to how to order and pay for a tweaked mopar pump. I dropped the ball on that one, but did end up getting a rebuild kit for mine. I rebuilt the pump, but I'm not getting any suction. Took it apart to check that I got everything in there correctly (I did.) Reading on a thread here yesterday, I now realize that the pump I have is a Carter 970 and not the original Carter that the rebuild kit was for.

I did contact one of the members here to see about purchasing a tweaked or rebuilt original pump. I've also been thinking about tossing the mech and going with an electric only. This is the one I'm looking at http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ic+-+universal . If I do go this way what's the best way to wire it?

My use for the car is just for fun...going to watch the local drags, a few car shows and drive-in night at the speedway.

I've had no luck with the Mr. Gasket pumps. Went through three of them before I modified a Mopar pump.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the pumps.

Comment

Yeah, MR G. is Junk....
        Fleabay is a crapshoot....

Comment

Rebuilding fuel pumps can be trickey, rebuilders do them in different ways. The original diaphrams are riveted to assure a seal, some will grind the riveted material off to remove the old diaphram and replace it with a threaded screw. I have rediaphramed several pumps by pressing the old diaphram off, thus retaining the riveted material and replacing the new diaphram and
          re-riveting the diaphram for a good seal. There are some vendors that sell good quality re-built pumps. That riveted point is the critical point if it is not perfect it will leak and fuel will get into your oil. There is a host of quality and inferior pumps out there. Electric pumps are ok and should be wired with an isolation switch. Most cars today have an impact switch and if you are lovetapped the pump will open and requires manual reset, but I think a simple isolation switch is adequate.

Comment

Contact Dave Thiebault, he did the pump and carb for my 57 Commander.

Comment

I've got this one on my Lark (259).
              Free Shipping - Carter Inline Electric Fuel Pumps with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fuel Pumps at Summit Racing.

Easy to install (comes with an installation clamp), quiet, comes with a filter, and yes, the 4psi is plenty of fuel for all but racing.
              This pump has been on my car (daily driver) for most of this year, working very well.

The Mr. Gasket pump you were looking at, they are sold by MANY....brand names including by the Stude International guys. While they provide an adequate amount of pressure, the volume of fuel required isn't there...in my experience. Way too small of a passage hole.

Mike

P.s. - The Carter can be found a little cheaper if you look around...

Comment

Working...
              X