Now to make it stop !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now to make it stop !

My rule has always been make it stop then make it go. So, on the Speedster Turner Disc brakes were one of the first projects once I had the frame off the body. New hoses, new lines etc. and since I didn't want a hole in my new carpet a remote reservoir was in the plan. Did the dual master cylinder and followed Bob Johnstone's instructions to tap the dual master cylinder for a remote.

However, the remote had to wait until the body was back on and enough goodies were in place to know where I could put it. Last week I settled on the spot and mounted the reservoir and snaked a brake line to the master cylinder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140901_213018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1744631
    Did the same trick as on the Champ. Plugged the plunger end of the original single master cylinder and drilled a 3/8" hole from the main reservoir into the plunger cavity. Simple, cheap and looks like it might even belong there.

The gotcha was when I filled the reservoir. Fluid poured over the top of the dual master cylinder as the cap had a lousy seal. Sealed the bottom side of the rubber diaphragm with Permatex blue... still leaked. Sealed the top and bottom side of the rubber diaphragm with Permatex blue... still leaked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140831_162507.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1744632
    Last resort.... threw away the diaphragm and sealed the cap on with JB Weld. No leaks !!! Now if I can find where I put the cap for the old master cylinder/my new reservoir.

Maybe this week I can bleed the system and deal with any bad flaring on the new lines.

I had the same leak situation when doing the brakes on my car. I replaced that MC with one from an Eclipse. So if anyone wants to copy your solution I have a new MC which I will sell cheap. Of course it does not need a remote reservoir to work if one only wants the dual circuit feature on the car.

Comment

5brown1 ,

I have one from an Eclipse also. I have not done the install yet so I was wondering what size was the one you used. I believe there are 2 sizes.

Len.

Comment

The "frame off the body"....!?

You rolled the car over and lifted the frame off of the body ?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
          The "frame off the body"....!?

You rolled the car over and lifted the frame off of the body ?

Mike
          I'll try it your way the next time.... I lifted the body up and dropped the frame off the body so I could roll it out from under and work on it .... and roll it back under quick when the HOA cops rolled by or the sun went down!

Comment

Len, I used one with a 1" bore. I can probably find out the part number if needed.

Comment

Working...
            X