Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You ID This Pickup?

Howdy All,
    I've always wanted a Studebaker pickup, and I found one for sale in the area. The sign simply says "1947", but after some research I've decided that I believe this is perhaps a '49 or '50. I've attached a couple of photos - can you help identify it? I've got a call into the guy, but he hasn't answered back yet. I'm not sure if it's got the original engine, but if it does, can I get your advice on a good price range? It's behind a fence so I haven't looked at it close yet, but I'm looking for some expert advice on what I should be looking for and anything to watch out for. I'd love to restore this, so would appreciate any feedback. Thanks much - Wade
    Attached Files

1949-53 2R5. See if you can get the serial number and we can narrow it down. Here are a couple of restored ones: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=nelly

It would be interesting to know if that Chrome Yellow is the original color of that one.

Craig

Comment

Looking at those photos, especially the front view, I get the impression the body is sitting on a too-narrow chassis of some kind.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Doesn't the rear window make it a 53 or newer?

Comment

Four-lug wheels ?
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I second the opinion that it is on the wrong chassis. Looks like it has 4 lug wheels.

Comment

You want to check the inner steps/thresholds and the upper floors for rust/rot.but based on what's seen in the pics it may be quite solid all through out.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Lots of room for big tires up front, wrong frame for sure.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by 57hawk View Post
                  Doesn't the rear window make it a 53 or newer?
                  The small back window makes the Cab 1954 back to 1949. The Front Clip/Grille is '49-'53, without a serial number that is all that can be determined.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good call, that. I didn't even notice the wheels. Judging from the lug-nuts I'd say someone switched a Toyota chassis to this truck for a more "modern, economical," operation. My friend Dave is prone to this kind of stupidity. The owner has likely stopped taking calls because no one wants to pay him very much.
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Whatever that frame is, it looks like a mistake. One has to hope that the body and bed was not hacked up to set it on there.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

It's a shame it's on the wrong chassis it looks like it may be in good shape plus that's a great body style imo.

Comment

Wow, that's a real bummer - I thought the wheels looked sorta funny but assumed they were too-small from another vehicle, there's at least 1 wheel in the bed. But I hadn't thought about the wrong frame/chassis. Is there an easy way for a rookie to measure or observe if this could be the right chassis, or is the consensus is "don't bother" since it's obvious? Sure would hate to pass on this, but I'm not interested in only getting half a Studebaker! Still no call from the owner, not sure what's up. Wade

Comment

Both the narrow tread and the 4-lug wheels (Stude half-ton trucks had a 5x5" bolt pattern) prove that both axles have been replaced. The front frame horns also appear to be too close together, which is consistent with all new underpinnings. And if the body was dropped on a brand X frame, it's likely that the brand X engine is still there, too. If he ever calls you back, just ask what's going on with the frame and drive train. As noted above, the almost rust-free body parts are surely worth saving, but the truck as a complete vehicle may be beyond hope.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

A newby would probably be better of with a complete original truck unless you have access to a well equipped shop and some experienced help. If the body is not hacked too badly it could be placed on another chassis, but it is not a good first project.
                              "In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X