Japanese Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Studebaker?

...sure looks a lot like it even thou it aint, found the pic on a Swedish site:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	62StudebakerParkPrototype.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1744593

Originally posted by Nox View Post
    ...sure looks a lot like it even thou it aint, found the pic on a Swedish site:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]37318[/ATTACH]
    The wheel discs look like 64-66 Studebaker discs.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Nope! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=sparrow

Craig

Comment

The Sparrow was a cute little Car and would have been YEARS ahead of the Corolla, Corona and Datsun 510 Sedans, just what people wanted around '73-'75 after the Oil embargo escapade!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You forgot the Carina, Rich!
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I had a 69 Toyota Corolla in the early 70's and I swear it was the smallest car at the time except for the first Honda's or the German 3 wheelers. It had a 60 hp 1100 cc engine that I would normally shift at 5-6,000RPM, 12" tires and wheels. 6" brake drums and never got under 28mpg no matter how hard I drove it and would get up to 40mpg when I kept my foot out of it. Got better mpg mileage than the VW's that 3 of my friends owned. It was a fun little car, in a fun time a long time ago. Wish I had never sold it, I am sure the Sparrow would have been a bigger version of it.

Comment

It's interesting this should come up at this point in time. I have been contemplating what to name my 59 Lark and I thought because it has the Hawk emblems on the grille and horn center I would call it a Sparrowhawk. http://www.pbase.com/wes242/kestrels

I just can't believe that the name 'Sparrow" was already take by one of Studebaker's prototypes. I guess they had the same idea. So if you see a car called "Sparrowhawk" that is a 59 Lark it is mine.

Len.

P.S. I have seen some of those photos before but was unaware of their Studebaker significance.

Comment

Its neither here nor there, but "Sparrowhawk" was the nickname of a Navy pursuit plane (F9C) by Curtiss Aircraft in the 1930s. It was designed to launch from and be retrieved by an airship, such as the USS Macon. Navy pilots perfected a trapeze hook-on process, which had to be an incredible feat of precision flying.

I'm a BIG fan of the old rigid airships (zeppelins). They were relatively impractical, but majestically beautiful. Sort of like a Studebaker, I guess. It also shows how aircraft and car names can interchange.
                Last edited by Lothar; 08-24-2014, 07:43 PM. Reason: Correct syntax.
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

I guess I have a need to have names for things. I do like the engine names that Studebaker used but can't seem to find any for the early Lark V8's. My favorites are the Bearcat and Wildcat, both of which are aircraft as well. One of these days I will put a name and logo list together for the engines but some like the "Power Thrust" for the 259 of later Larks is nonexistent. Skybolt is an air-launched ballistic missile (ALBM) that Studebaker had some connection to. It's all very interesting to me.

Len.

Comment

Bob, this was Toyota ?
                    Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                    You forgot the Carina, Rich!
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                      Its neither here nor there, but "Sparrowhawk" was the nickname of a Navy pursuit plane (F9C) by Curtiss Aircraft in the 1930s. It was designed to launch from and be retrieved by an airship, such as the USS Macon. Navy pilots perfected a trapeze hook-on process, which had to be an incredible feat of precision flying.

I'm a BIG fan of the old rigid airships (zeppelins). They were relatively impractical, but majestically beautiful. Sort of like a Studebaker, I guess. It also shows how aircraft and car names can interchange.
                      USS Macon (ZRS-5) crashed into the ocean off Monterey CA.

When National Geographic photographed the remains awhile ago, two Sparrowhawks were still attached to their mooring frames.

Comment

Working...
                      X