62 GT Hawk - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 GT Hawk - Opinions?

I went to a local car show and not one but two 62 GTs were there, both very nice. This one is for sale and I might be interested but I am looking for opinions. The paint is not an original colour but the black cherry seems to suit the car very well. The paint is of good quality but unfortunately does have some scratches and nicks from being parked in a condo parking garage. I would think 80% of them could be buffed out. The bright ware is perfect! The interior is also virtually perfect. Not sure I like the rims but they are full spoke wheels that do have some rust on them. I'd say the car is a good #3 on the exterior and a #2 on the interior.

There is what appears to be a pretty good oil leak. The car was driven 2 hours to the show and had been sitting for several hours when I saw it and there was oil about the size of and average hand under the car. Does that sound excessive? If it is a crank seal are they difficult to replace?

Except for paint colour, the radio, rims and the steering wheel the car seems original and in an overall nice condition.

He is asking $19500 Canadian. Does that seem a little high or is he priced correctly?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Personally I like that color for a G.T. Hawk. It's different but not overdone. I notice it has power windows too with the switches placed neatly in the door panels. The seats have been redone but kept the original look. The aftermarket wire wheels along with the modern" radio would be a minus to my taste. I would personally prefer the original wheel covers & for tunes a hidden system. The oil leak would also be a point for your negotiations but may or may not be the rear main seal, although it most likely is. It could also be the front crankshaft seal, valve cover(s) or the flex line for the oil pressure gage may be getting ready to let go. Does the a/c blow cold? Does it have a sight glass on the receiver/drier? Bubbles seen there when its on? Is it still an R-12 system or been converted to R-135? How is the underbody? Signs of quality repair or patchwork? Those wide rocker moldings have been known to hide some serious rust issues.

I don't know what the current exchange rate is but isn't the Canadian dollar just about on par with the U.S. or maybe worth even more these days? I would compare the asking price to ads in Hemmings or Turning Wheels or even what some have gone for on Ebay, although that too is hard when you cant see the cars themselves.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

IMHO 1962 is a very good year for GTs, but then they all are. Looks like someone set that one up to drive, with the power windows, aftermarket AM/FM radio, and smaller steering wheel (though not sure what the later would accomplish). I am guessing the original color was white?

Most Studes leak a little oil, but that one's seems a bit excessive, and indicates a need to drop the oil pan and address a few common issues. Not rocket science, but unless you can do it yourself, it may be hard to find someone who can do it well, and labor hours are a $ consideration.

A key question: does it have power steering? If not, you probably would not enjoy it near as much.

As for price, that seems top dollar, and there are probably a few mechanicals to deal with, if the leak is a "tip of the iceberg" sign. I'd wanna see the car in operation, including drive train operation, oil pressure, function of dash gauges, brakes, etc..

How old is the seller, and why is he/she selling? If the seller has grown too old to enjoy the car, it is likely the mechanicals have been neglected for several years on. If he/she talks about work done on the car, receipts including when & where would be important.

Its a very nice looking car !

Comment

I like the car and you would be surprised with what a good guy with a buffer could do with it. most studebakers leak a little oil. Kind of like a harley they like to mark their spot. Joe are you sure about the no power steering? My hawk leaked so much oil out of the ram that the po had taken the belt off. I thought that it drove just fine with out it. as long as you moved it just a little you could turn it with easily.

Comment

I don't know anything about the exchange rates on your Canadian money either,but I vote yes for buying the car. I think that color fits the GT very well. As swvalcon says,a good body shop or detail man could wet sand and buff that car and it would really be sharp!
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
            Personally I like that color for a G.T. Hawk. It's different but not overdone. I notice it has power windows too with the switches placed neatly in the door panels. The seats have been redone but kept the original look. The aftermarket wire wheels along with the modern" radio would be a minus to my taste. I would personally prefer the original wheel covers & for tunes a hidden system. The oil leak would also be a point for your negotiations but may or may not be the rear main seal, although it most likely is. It could also be the front crankshaft seal, valve cover(s) or the flex line for the oil pressure gage may be getting ready to let go. Does the a/c blow cold? Does it have a sight glass on the receiver/drier? Bubbles seen there when its on? Is it still an R-12 system or been converted to R-135? How is the underbody? Signs of quality repair or patchwork? Those wide rocker moldings have been known to hide some serious rust issues.

I don't know what the current exchange rate is but isn't the Canadian dollar just about on par with the U.S. or maybe worth even more these days? I would compare the asking price to ads in Hemmings or Turning Wheels or even what some have gone for on Ebay, although that too is hard when you cant see the cars themselves.
            Yes, the colour certainly looks good on the car. As for the radio and rims, I totally agree and would address that at some point if I had it, especially the rims. I will investigate the oil leak. I know of a SDC member in this area who is a Hawk expert so hopefully I could get him to look at it and give an opinion.

I spoke more with the owner of the second GT at the show who is a friend of the owner and knows the car well. He claimed the air blew ice cold. So cold in fact you had to run it on a low setting! I did not know of the sight glass but that is definitely something to look at as well as determining if it has been converted to R-135.

From what I could see the underbody looked good but as you say, lots can be hidden. The paint was not new but in very nice condition. There were no bubbles or obvious flaws in the finish. I didn't have a magnet as I had just gone to see a car show not anticipating seeing a car I might be interested in buying!

$19.5G CDN is about $18G US these days. I recently saw a very nice 62 GT in Florida sell for $16G on eBay. It appeared absolutely pristine but as you say it is not always easy to tell just with photos. It may have had oil leaks etc.. as well. I sure wouldn't pay $19.5 for this car from what I have seen watching eBay etc.. but I don't think it is just driver quality either. I will research the issues you have brought up and go from there.

Thanks so much for the great advice.

Comment

I couldn't stand my Hawk if it didn't have PS. The 19 G is cheaper than mine. cheers jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

In this day and age, this Hawk looks like a pretty good deal to me....I like your mention that it was DRIVEN two hours to that show!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  IMHO 1962 is a very good year for GTs, but then they all are. Looks like someone set that one up to drive, with the power windows, aftermarket AM/FM radio, and smaller steering wheel (though not sure what the later would accomplish). I am guessing the original color was white?

Most Studes leak a little oil, but that one's seems a bit excessive, and indicates a need to drop the oil pan and address a few common issues. Not rocket science, but unless you can do it yourself, it may be hard to find someone who can do it well, and labor hours are a $ consideration.

A key question: does it have power steering? If not, you probably would not enjoy it near as much.

As for price, that seems top dollar, and there are probably a few mechanicals to deal with, if the leak is a "tip of the iceberg" sign. I'd wanna see the car in operation, including drive train operation, oil pressure, function of dash gauges, brakes, etc..

How old is the seller, and why is he/she selling? If the seller has grown too old to enjoy the car, it is likely the mechanicals have been neglected for several years on. If he/she talks about work done on the car, receipts including when & where would be important.

Its a very nice looking car !
                  Not sure why the smaller steering wheel either. It does have power steering but I didn't get to drive the car yet (as it was in the show) but everything appeared in order. The seller is older 80+ and I spoke more with his friend who had the nice aqua 62 GT beside this one. He claimed that the owner had made every safety upgrade he could such as Turner brakes and improved rear axles. I believe the current owner is the one who had the car restored probably about 10 years ago. You may be right in that the car may not have seen as much attention over the last few years as he is now living in a condo in downtown Toronto. He is selling for the reasons you suggested. He is using a cane and just doesn't have the mobility to get around any more. I didn't get to see the car in operation so I don't know about gauges etc.. but I certainly will look at those closely.

I think the price is high as well, at least in this current market, especially if main seal changes are required. No doubt he has put a lot of $$ into the car and who doesn't think they should get every cent back? Doesn't seem like a good time to be trying that!

I'd be happy to be the new "steward" of this nice car but I am VERY budget conscious so I will proceed carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                    I like the car and you would be surprised with what a good guy with a buffer could do with it. most studebakers leak a little oil. Kind of like a harley they like to mark their spot. Joe are you sure about the no power steering? My hawk leaked so much oil out of the ram that the po had taken the belt off. I thought that it drove just fine with out it. as long as you moved it just a little you could turn it with easily.
                    I know a very good body shop who I am sure could get the paint back to nearly perfect. all of the chrome has been redone and the stainless was removed and polished. There is no pitting any where on the trim.

Comment

The guy I bought my 64 Daytona from told me it needed a rear main seal he even included the parts with the sale. Turns out there was no distributor gasket.
                      61 lark cruiser
                      64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
                        I don't know anything about the exchange rates on your Canadian money either,but I vote yes for buying the car. I think that color fits the GT very well. As swvalcon says,a good body shop or detail man could wet sand and buff that car and it would really be sharp!
                        Works out to about $18G US and I agree, with a good wet sand and polish it would be spectacular. It looks good as it is !

Comment

Originally posted by studerodder View Post
                          The guy I bought my 64 Daytona from told me it needed a rear main seal he even included the parts with the sale. Turns out there was no distributor gasket.
                          That is the problem with oil leaks. Not easy to trace with acursory look. I know leaking oil is not unusual for these cars but it did seem excessive..

Comment

That oil leak, if it does turn out to be the crankshaft rear seal, is really not that big of a deal on a '62 Hawk. The oil pan needs to be removed, but it drops right down between the dual exhaust pipes with no other interference....almost a pleasure to do!

Comment

The fabric seat inserts look like original but I think the pattern is from a 63 so maybe the seats have been replaced?
                              Peter Bishop

Comment

Working...
                              X