Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experiences: Fiberglass Studebaker Parts Places?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Experiences: Fiberglass Studebaker Parts Places?

Has anyone had any experience with various Studebaker fiberglass parts? I'm particularly wondering about the fiberglass Hawk dashes offered by several venders.
    I've seen reference to:

Class Glass and Performance, Inc
    Cumberland, MD

and

The Glass Shop
    Belair, MD

Anyone know of quality differences between the two places? Strange that they're both in MD. Maybe they are one in the same and just changed names?

Thanks for the help!
    Wayne
    Wayne
    NEW Studebaker owner
    1953 Champion 2-door Sedan(project)

1954 Studebaker Commander Coupe

You need to be careful about what kind of Studebaker you are getting fiberglass for.
    Most of the 'glass companies are building race bodies, along with some street weight 'glass parts.
    Best to call them direct and ask them.
    If it is a stock 'glass Hawk dash you are looking for...Many have a few stored (hoarded)......
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What are the mounting provisions on the stock Hawk dashes? All of the glass shops sell them with no mounting provisions at all that I've seen. I'm looking for something that would be a blank slate for the 54 coupe without modifying the body mounting of the car at all. Basically looking to unbolt the stock dash and put in the Hawk unit with custom gauges and such so i need something with no gauge holes to work off of. But I'm expecting to need to change the mounting on the Hawk dash piece.
      Any thoughts given this info?
      Wayne
      NEW Studebaker owner

Comment

I have seen multiple folks put the fiberglass dash out of a 56-64 hawk into 53's and 54's. I have been told it is a fairly easy swap. Hopefully someone will post that has done the swap. hawk dashes are fairly available, just check with the parts vendors like Barry Hackney in Houston
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Do the stock ones already have gauge holes and things? I'm trying to do something fairly simple and clean, though not exactly sure what yet.
          I have a lead to a glass shop one that is <$100 + shipping. Most others I've seen are $250 + shipping .
          Not sure what the going rate for a hoardered one would be?
          Wayne
          NEW Studebaker owner

Comment

Not too long ago I took a 57/61 Hawk dash and filled all the holes and slots and built a blank one to put a gauge or two in there...

Started out ugly.....

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Nice! Certainly well instrumented!
              Was that open area around the steering column "tunnel" the way they are or had you cut that out? If that's the way they are i assume the overlay panel covers it in stock from?
              Wayne
              NEW Studebaker owner

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker-Buick View Post
                Nice! Certainly well instrumented!
                Was that open area around the steering column "tunnel" the way they are or had you cut that out? If that's the way they are i assume the overlay panel covers it in stock from?

The '56/'61 Hawk dash has slider controls for the heater and defroster, as well as toggle switch positions...all along the bottom edge.
                Since my switches are elsewhere, I chose to smooth over the bottom edge of the dash.
                Just a different way of doing things... No right or wrong...

Jeff

Comment

I like the 62 and later dash because of the "pod" setup. This one is bolted into my 54K. It's fiberglass just like the earlier ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1691818

So it can be modified as Jeff did. Bob

Comment

All the hawk dashes are fiberglass and will bolt into any 53-55 rather easy and they all came with some kind of over lay and they are very easy to work with and make your own creation, how many do you want? I have both style 56-61 and 62-64 just hollow fiberglass no gauges, no switches, no nothing just fiberglass.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Do you have any pictures of the 56-61 versions?
                      Thanks!
                      Wayne
                      NEW Studebaker owner

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        I like the 62 and later dash because of the "pod" setup. This one is bolted into my 54K. It's fiberglass just like the earlier ones.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37203[/ATTACH]

So it can be modified as Jeff did. Bob
                        Well...I spent most of yesterday (in over 90 degree heat) adding an extension wing on my barn. This morning, while resting my sore body, I thought I'd take a little time and check the forum.

Bob, this is the first time I recall seeing your dash. While I favor the analog look of the original GT instrumentation, I love what you have done with yours. Especially how you made that steering column and steering wheel blend in. So often, I see folks upgrade the steering column and leave those '80's steering wheels just like they were in the cars they were ripped from.

From the picture you've posted, the whole dash area blends so well. Tell us a little more about the steering wheel.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Jeff...what....no clock?
                          Bill Foy
                          1000 Islands, Ontario
                          1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Billy View Post
                            Jeff...what....no clock?

Oh...It has a fancy schmancy clock.....And I don't want anything to do with it
                            (But it's better than the one in my head)

Jeff

Comment

Not a dash, but an entire hood for my 1959 Silver Hawk. I bought it from Class Glass & Performance. It was perfect (except for a scratch that occurred during shipping.) The black gel coat was mirror smooth and the hood was a perfect fit to my car. The piece was thick enough to hold its shape well, but still light. I would definitely buy from this company again.

Comment

Working...
                              X