Vin ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Vin ID

Got home late last night with the new to me T Cab. Can't locate the engine and vin # site, so I'll ask here.
    Truck is dressed as a 62, has wide bed straight fender stainless but Vin or Serial # E5-131214 and model 6E-112, Firewall tag 6E-T6.
    Has a replacement engine with Part #1566003, Plant 8 Eckman St. Sasco, SerA9489(I think) Code 040. E5 is 61 I'm sure, but curious to know how far into the production run is it. The engine has pcv on the passenger side of the block. Don't like the ohv 6s, but it's here, so gonna see what it does before putting 259/289 in.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kim

No vin # on Studebakers. The serial number plate is under the left door latch on the cab. Model number 6E-112 means 1961 112 is the wheelbase I think. the # E5-131214 means (E5) 6 cylinder 1/2 ton and serial number, they started with

Comment

Kim
      The T 6 on the firewall tag indicates the deluxe cab . This would include the stainless fender trim, windshield trim and probably a sliding rear window. You may also have gotten the stainless hub caps. If your truck doesn't have overdrive-you may want to consider adding it before going through an engine swap. OD certainly makes driving more fun! Good luck with your truck.
      Rob in PA.
      PS Does your truck have the 2 piece fender trim? Also are there indents above the rear window near the roof?

Comment

Thanks Guys,
        I know the serial numbers weren't called Vins then, but not everyone knows that. Newer members and newer to Studebakers may not. I'
        ve done body off resto on 2 T Cabs, a 64 and involved in with a 62 At the Steve Cade resto shop. It doesn't have the kicked up stainless that 61 s have and has a yellow valve cover. In looking at the pictures before purchase I thought it must be 62. Had the owner give me serial number off the door opening, I figured to be 61. Steve Cade and I are of the notion that the Dodge bed started in 62, which is what mine has. It has straight fender stainless. It is a deluxe cab, I'd forgotten what ID'ed it as such. Has chrome grill, headlight doors, sliding window and does have overdrive. Also has heavy duty rear bumper along with most the factory optioned rust.
        I've had 2 of the ohv engines and have had problems. I'm gonna get it running and drive before disposing of the 6. I want to do more than what the 6 will let me do. I'm gonna use it as a truck, haul, pull and have fun.
        Part of the reason I listed the serial # is find out where in the production run it fell. I suspect it was late in the run. Want to know what the numbers on the engine tell.
        One more thing, It's better to help, not criticize. That behavior has run too many folk from this forum and Studebakers. If you posses vast knowledge, use to help and encourage, not criticize and correct.
        Thanks,
        Kim

Comment

The One Hundred and 18 THOUSAND 254th (118254) '61 6E5 Built? Hmm, why do I not believe that?

OK, looked it up. The Starting Serial Number for 6E5 was 129601 so subtract that from 131214 = 1613th. 6E5 Champ Truck built in '61 Model Year.

Carrying that one step further; starting Serial Number for 1962 7E5 was 132601 -131214 = 1387

That is about as close to the Middle as you will get!

However the 601 Numbers being the same, makes me wonder if they never used up all of those numbers before rolling it to the next closest even Thousand?
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-21-2014, 07:53 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich, That helps

Comment

Kim, the "Dodge" (P-2) or "Spaceside" bed production started on January 14,1961. It was introduced at the Chicago Auto Show on Feb. 18th.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Most Studebaker factory "service" engines were new with all standard size parts. Your engine's part number doesn't show up until about 1969 (parts price book 'F') and it is listed as "remanufactured". It probably has an oversized bore and undersized journals.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                X