1953 / 1954 Stude Coupe Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 / 1954 Stude Coupe Roof

Any information as how to remove a roof on a 1953 / 54 coupe for replacement, please advise , Photo's would be a great help, Thanks

garnsej@sbcglobal.net

James Garnsey

I believe the factory recommended method would be to replace the body![:0]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe the factory recommended method would be to replace the body![:0]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Street rodder, rod & custom type magazines have articles on cutting and chopping the roof. Lots of pictures and information. You can't use too many braces on the body to keep the shape correct. Have fun.

Comment

Street rodder, rod & custom type magazines have articles on cutting and chopping the roof. Lots of pictures and information. You can't use too many braces on the body to keep the shape correct. Have fun.

Comment

It can be done but that is something only an experienced body man should attempt.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

It can be done but that is something only an experienced body man should attempt.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

I take it from your question James, that you either have serious metal damage, or rust issues with your roof section.
                This would be a major repair to most Stude owners, and many would just find a suitable replacement body tub.
                If you did find a suitable replacement, then cutting the old one off would not be impossible, but it would be tedious.
                The most important thing would be to stabilize the body in a 'square' position so it can't move during the replacement process (with bracing welded in as mentioned here on other replies.
                A good body shop with frame straightening equipment could do this for you, but at today's labor rates it will be quite expensive.
                Without more information in your question post, you will be getting a variety of answers.
                Try and ask a more specific question as to what you are starting with, and where you want to go with this project.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by garnsej

Any information as how to remove a roof on a 1953 / 54 coupe for replacement, please advise , Photo's would be a great help, Thanks
                James Garnsey
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I take it from your question James, that you either have serious metal damage, or rust issues with your roof section.
                  This would be a major repair to most Stude owners, and many would just find a suitable replacement body tub.
                  If you did find a suitable replacement, then cutting the old one off would not be impossible, but it would be tedious.
                  The most important thing would be to stabilize the body in a 'square' position so it can't move during the replacement process (with bracing welded in as mentioned here on other replies.
                  A good body shop with frame straightening equipment could do this for you, but at today's labor rates it will be quite expensive.
                  Without more information in your question post, you will be getting a variety of answers.
                  Try and ask a more specific question as to what you are starting with, and where you want to go with this project.
                  Jeff[8D]

James Garnsey
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for the reply sounds like it not going to be an easy fix .
                    quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Jeff[8D]

James Garnsey
                    James Garnsey

Comment

Thanks for the reply sounds like it not going to be an easy fix .
                      quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Jeff[8D]

James Garnsey
                      James Garnsey

Comment

James,
                        It's NOT that hard to do! Get all of the trim off including headliner and interior. Look around the edges for spot welds, first drill them out with an 1/8" drill bit, then buy a good spot weld drill bit, (might need 3 or 4) Most of the welds are pinch welds and will drill out easily. the hardest part will be the sean at the 1/4 panel. that you will have to melt out the body lead, and look for the seams. After the hail storm here in Indy last year, we must have put on a hundred roofs on the newer cars.

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

James,
                          It's NOT that hard to do! Get all of the trim off including headliner and interior. Look around the edges for spot welds, first drill them out with an 1/8" drill bit, then buy a good spot weld drill bit, (might need 3 or 4) Most of the welds are pinch welds and will drill out easily. the hardest part will be the sean at the 1/4 panel. that you will have to melt out the body lead, and look for the seams. After the hail storm here in Indy last year, we must have put on a hundred roofs on the newer cars.

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Makes me wince to think about the TWO coupe roofs I sent to scrap metal awhile back. Hated to do it, but since they're the last thing to rust out, I decided they'd never find a use in my lifetime.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Makes me wince to think about the TWO coupe roofs I sent to scrap metal awhile back. Hated to do it, but since they're the last thing to rust out, I decided they'd never find a use in my lifetime.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X