View Full Version : road draft to pcv

rusty nut garage
09-26-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm putting together a early 289, customer has purchased the aluminum finned valley cover and vlv covers. The cover is set up for a road draft tube but we'd like to go to a pcv valve.
Anybody ever done this and if so can you clue me in on the details. The original valley covers have a baffle the aftermarket alumn does not. I'm a bit concerned that with out the baffle it may try to pull oil thru the pcv valve. Also were mounting the partial flow filter on the firewall and I need a good place to return the oil without running hoses all the way to the timeing cover and dumping it there. My idea was to put a fitting in the valley cover for both the return and the pcv valve, but again with the oil return that close to an unbaffled PCV fitting it might use oil. Any ideas are appreciated.

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

1956 Hawk
09-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Since the valley cover has the cutout for the road draft tube, you need what I think Studebaker called a PVC adaptor. It bolts up like the road draft tube but has a 3/8" tube on the side. Then you just get an inline PCV or one that screws in the carb. Both of my cars are setup with inline PCVs. Don't know about not having the baffle under the valley cover though.

09-27-2006, 02:43 PM
I know what you're talking about, personally if I were using either a road draft or PCV with the aluminum valley pan I would look into making a baffle for it, I was thinking of a sheet of stainless bent into a "hat" shape and then screwed to the underside of the valley pan. I was going to do this for my car but then I ended up swapping in an R1 where the PCV connects to that big tube going down to the side of the oil pan, so it's all academic now.


55 Commander Starlight