Need help ID'ing this component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help ID'ing this component

I have a 64 hawk, V8, 2bbl. This component was connected at the battery hold down bracket with 2 wires going to it. It is solid, no moving parts. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03388.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1744518One wire is going to the brake pedal switch. Could it be cruise control related. It was installed at one time on this car.

Yes, it is a mercury switch. It's a backup to the foot operated brake switch to disengage the cruise control. Avanti II's have them on the firewall near the brake booster.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thank you so much, that was driving me crazy. Now that I'm bypassing that can you help me on the hook-up with the 2 wires. I do not have any wiring diagrams yet to go off of. From the factory what kind of brake light switch was used on the pedal. The one on mine now is very aftermarket with a chain hooked to firewall to release switch when pedal applied.

Comment

It is a little hard to guess what you are looking at on a Hawk modified with an Aftermarket Cruise Control without Pics, but here is my best guess.

You are looking at more Cruise Control Parts to release cruise when Brakes are applied.
        I think you may have the Stock Hydraulic Brake Light Switch still on the left frame rail near the front of the Engine at the Brass splitter "T" in the brake line.

There should be a wire from the Brake Light Switch to the Column turn signal switch and one to the under dash fuse insulator board with the T/S Flasher and Two fuses, a Brake Lt. & Dome Light and also a Turn Sig. 14 AMP Fuse.

There should be no Pedal S/L Switch at all for non-Cruise Control Stock Hawks, however a mechanical one, can or COULD be installed by Aftermarket/Custom installation.

Do Stop Lights and Turn Signals work correctly?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I see no evidence of a stock switch at or immediately forward of the master cylinder. How would the switch work if it was near the front of the engine? All lights worked fine before I started on this rats nest. Trying to go slow, marking wires as I disconnect etc. Thanks for directions on the where the 2 switch wires need to go. Trying to get this thing to look more stock and not Frankenstein'd.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkjockey View Post
            I see no evidence of a stock switch at or immediately forward of the master cylinder. How would the switch work if it was near the front of the engine? All lights worked fine before I started on this rats nest. Trying to go slow, marking wires as I disconnect etc. Thanks for directions on the where the 2 switch wires need to go. Trying to get this thing to look more stock and not Frankenstein'd.
            Very simple, it is in line with the front wheel "feeds" from the Master Cylinder, and has line pressure when brakes are applied.

You are definitely going to need the '64 Hawk Model Wiring Diagram, here is one:
            https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...-hawk-wire.jpg
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Very simple, it is in line with the front wheel "feeds" from the Master Cylinder, and has line pressure when brakes are applied.

You are definitely going to need the '64 Hawk Model Wiring Diagram, here is one:
              https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...-hawk-wire.jpg
              I see where you are talking now, just below the #1 cylinder. So it is not a mechanical switch but a pressure switch. I just checked out that diagram you forwarded to me. Awesome thanks again.

Comment

/Cut/ I think you may have the Stock Hydraulic Brake Light Switch still on the left frame rail near the front of the Engine at the Brass splitter "T" in the brake line.
                Originally posted by hawkjockey View Post
                I see where you are talking now, just below the #1 cylinder. So it is not a mechanical switch but a pressure switch. I just checked out that diagram you forwarded to me. Awesome thanks again.
                I thought that was pretty clear in Post #4.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I thought that was pretty clear in Post #4.
                  It was, my wife says I don't do very well at looking for things either.

Comment

Working...
                  X