SDC elections for Regional Managers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDC elections for Regional Managers

In case Forum members are not aware, I have been appointed SDC Elections Coordinator. In this regard, over the past few weeks I have been confirming the intentions of the current Regional Managers for re-election.

However we have no candidates confirmed for the following areas;
    HAWAII, NEVADA, UTAH, PENNSYLVANIA, NEBRASKA, ALABAMA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, MISSISSIPPI, NORTH CAROLINA, SOUTH CAROLINA.

The term of office will be for 2015-16 and 2016-17 and elections will be held later this year. Serving as Regional Manager gives members an opportunity to become more involved with SDC and even serves as a stepping stone for higher office if one so desires. Please think about it and if interested send me a PM through the Forum and I'll get back to you. If there's someone in your area you'd like to nominate then send me a PM with your thoughts.

Stu Chapman

Stu, THANK YOU for stepping up to fill that important position. In looking at the list of open RM positions I see that there are forum members from many of those states who have been very involved vocally on these forums regarding SDC operations. What a wonderful opportunity you have to put your ideas and SDC dedication into action as a Regional Manager. Please consider volunteering for Team SDC.
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Stu - Is it safe to assume that you know that Regional Manager is an optional position? All areas do not have to have one. I have found that they are not really needed in areas that are well covered by chapters. Of course, there is no harm in having one if someone wants to step up and do the job.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        Stu - Is it safe to assume that you know that Regional Manager is an optional position? All areas do not have to have one. I have found that they are not really needed in areas that are well covered by chapters. Of course, there is no harm in having one if someone wants to step up and do the job.
        Agreed Gary. However we're going to try and get as many candidates as we can.

Stu Chapman

Comment

For those of us who have never served in any official capacity in the club, what sort of commitment is required, in terms of time, activity attendance, etc? One of the downsides to my occupation is that I get time off rationed out by the eyedropper, otherwise I'd have probably run for club president by now
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Since I am the current Kansas Regional Manager, I'll list a few of the responsibilities and duties:
            (none of them are hard)

The RM maintains a current list of active and forming chapters in the region, and forwards them to the SDC.
            The RM assists in the formation of new SDC chapters.
            The RM forwards information from the Zone Coordinator to Chapter Presidents in the region.
            The RM evaluates regional problems before requesting help from the Zone Coordinator.
            The RM calls expired SDC members for feedback as to why they left the club.
            The RM keeps recruiting materials on hand (such as copies of TW), and membership forms for the SDC and local chapters.

There are more duties (and some dont's), but you get the idea. You are a conduit of information for the region, and a servant if needed. A computer is a necessity (for communication). After all you don't want to snail mail some of the big files you get.

I burn some cellphone minutes as RM, and use a few stamps. And I am not required to attend National or Regional meetings, like officers farther up the chain.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

A few years back we had an opening for the California Regional manager and it didn't look like they were going to get any so I figured why not, but after I gave my name I found that another guy and a lady had also said they would run , at the time I knew the guy Don Cox's and I figured if he got it that would be good as he is very active with the club in So-Cal and the lady at that time I did not know but as it turned out the Lady won and I said "A Lady bit Don and myself for the job, who was that lady you ask? the none and only Mimi Halgren and as it turned out we could not have gotten a better person for the job but she didn't last long there as she had bigger fish to fry and every thing she has touched turns to gold, thanks Mimi for beating me out.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                For those of us who have never served in any official capacity in the club, what sort of commitment is required, in terms of time, activity attendance, etc? One of the downsides to my occupation is that I get time off rationed out by the eyedropper, otherwise I'd have probably run for club president by now
                Thanks to Chris Pile in Post #6, there are all the responsibilities. Nothing really onerous. I would encourage you to run for Nebraska where we have an opening for RM. But it gets you more involved in SDC. Send me a PM and we can discuss further.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                  Since I am the current Kansas Regional Manager, I'll list a few of the responsibilities and duties:
                  (none of them are hard)

The RM maintains a current list of active and forming chapters in the region, and forwards them to the SDC.
                  The RM assists in the formation of new SDC chapters.
                  The RM forwards information from the Zone Coordinator to Chapter Presidents in the region.
                  The RM evaluates regional problems before requesting help from the Zone Coordinator.
                  The RM calls expired SDC members for feedback as to why they left the club.
                  The RM keeps recruiting materials on hand (such as copies of TW), and membership forms for the SDC and local chapters.

There are more duties (and some dont's), but you get the idea. You are a conduit of information for the region, and a servant if needed. A computer is a necessity (for communication). After all you don't want to snail mail some of the big files you get.

I burn some cellphone minutes as RM, and use a few stamps. And I am not required to attend National or Regional meetings, like officers farther up the chain.
                  Thanks for this Chris. PM sent.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                    In case Forum members are not aware, I have been appointed SDC Elections Coordinator. In this regard, over the past few weeks I have been confirming the intentions of the current Regional Managers for re-election.

However we have no candidates confirmed for the following areas;
                    HAWAII, NEVADA, UTAH, PENNSYLVANIA, NEBRASKA, ALABAMA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, MISSISSIPPI, NORTH CAROLINA, SOUTH CAROLINA.

The term of office will be for 2015-16 and 2016-17 and elections will be held later this year. Serving as Regional Manager gives members an opportunity to become more involved with SDC and even serves as a stepping stone for higher office if one so desires. Please think about it and if interested send me a PM through the Forum and I'll get back to you. If there's someone in your area you'd like to nominate then send me a PM with your thoughts.

Stu Chapman
                    We also would like to have candidates for PUERTO RICO and MEXICO.

We now have candidates who have stepped up for FLORIDA, NORTH CAROLINA and SOUTH CAROLINA. Thank you.

Now how about some of you enthusiastic Studebaker fans in the above areas to think about serving your club. Check Post #6 for the duties.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Since I did not run again for the Regional Manager post in Pennsylvania in 2012 because if iur pending move to Virginia no one has stepped to the plate. Paul and I both have asked individuals to run but to date no one has. Maybe there are a few folks on here that know someone who is interested in the role in PA. If you do encourage them to run or to contact me outside of here and I will fill them in on the details. It really is a great job and you sure do meet lots of interesting people. By the way, my email address can always be found in Turning Wheels.
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Posted earlier were the "duties of an RM"...
                        Contacting non-renewers is no longer on the list. Henry Votel (coincidently RM in Minnesota) is the person that does that for ALL of the SDC. He gets the contact info from Cornerstone Registration & goes from there and reports back to the SDC.

Comment

Contacting non-renewers is no longer on the list. Henry Votel (coincidently RM in Minnesota) is the person that does that for ALL of the SDC. He gets the contact info from Cornerstone Registration & goes from there and reports back to the SDC.
                          Good to know.
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                            That's interesting Duane. Obviously that information didn't get passed on to me. That would make the RM job even LESS onerous.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Henry's contract was discussed in the SDC Boar Meeting in Dover and was approved with a review in six months. It is good to have a central point of contact in lieu of having the RM's do ti. As currently established, the RM's role is that of a sounding bosrd and a place where local chapters can go for assistance ans they deem necessary. It is really a great role and you can interact with lots of people.
                              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                              X