Whats the deal with this Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the deal with this Hawk

It says it's a 60, but no fins, were there no finned Hawks in 1960? Looks more like a 56 but it doesn't have the parking lights on the fenders.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Looks like a hybrid: 62 front fender spears; 62-64 upper chrome strips, front to rear; 62 hood and "nostrils"; 59-61 nostril inserts; 56-61 grill; 60-61 grill badge, and a 53-61 'C' body. Would need to see a rear view to determine much more. Definitely a hybrid.

Comment

This car has been advertised for months (notice the snow in the pictures). This is a prime example of the seller's lack of initiative working against him/her. If the car is "Good running" as stated in the ad, why not move it out of the woods and photograph it in a better spot?

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
        This car has been advertised for months (notice the snow in the pictures). This is a prime example of the seller's lack of initiative working against him/her. If the car is "Good running" as stated in the ad, why not move it out of the woods and photograph it in a better spot?

Yes, really.

Comment

With the stainless wheel trim my guess 59 or 60 with fins removed and Gt fender trim added, hood is 57-62
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Bob,
            You must have better eyes than me. Even blowing up the pix, I still could not tell if the hood is 62 or 57-61. I am going by the point (or straight across) on the end of the hood scoop, toward the grill, where a chrome emblem would be for 57-61.

Comment

First off, there were NO Silver Hawks in 1960.
              To directly answer the original question - there were Hawk models built in Europe without fins that would have had fins in the US.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Don't think the hood is a 62. Look at the area below the grill. 62s are different? 62 grills go all the way to the bottom

Comment

there is no difference between the 57-62 hawks hoods they bolt right on and either grille also bolts on and I have seen factory hoods on 62's with the holes along the bottom that is required for the 56-61 grilles and that hood when used with a 62 grill you can see the row of holes through the mesh but every thing fits, also put on a 56 and it fits up to the 62 GT not so with the 63 and 64.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    there is no difference between the 57-62 hawks hoods they bolt right on and either grille also bolts on and I have seen factory hoods on 62's with the holes along the bottom that is required for the 56-61 grilles and that hood when used with a 62 grill you can see the row of holes through the mesh but every thing fits, also put on a 56 and it fits up to the 62 GT not so with the 63 and 64.
                    No, that's not correct. Hoods for 1962 are different than 57-61. The difference is the front edge of the rise in the top of the hood. The 57-61 hoods have a straight front termination. The 62's are finished with a canted, non-flat front surface. The earlier design accommodated the hood ornament.
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      First off, there were NO Silver Hawks in 1960.
                      To directly answer the original question - there were Hawk models built in Europe without fins that would have had fins in the US.
                      Gary,
                      I may be overlooking something, but do not see any reference to Silver Hawks, let alone 1960 as Silver Hawk.

Comment

There is one that has been on CL for a year that is listed as a 57 Hawk.
                        I don't know the differences that well but it's obvious it is not.
                        Only one pic and you can't see the front. But No fins and I can't see a Hawk grille.
                        Looks more like a 53-55 C/K.
                        Move seen others listed as 64 Silver or golden hawks when the pic clearly shows Gran Turismo on the side.
                        Buyer beware.

Comment

the CL ad shows 1960 Silver Hawk, apparently the owner thinks it is
                          sigpic
                          JohnP, driving & reviving
                          60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            No, that's not correct. Hoods for 1962 are different than 57-61. The difference is the front edge of the rise in the top of the hood. The 57-61 hoods have a straight front termination. The 62's are finished with a canted, non-flat front surface. The earlier design accommodated the hood ornament.
                            I blew the picture up and, to me, it looks like a '57-61 hood with the phoney scoop missing.
                            The car may be a hodge podge of Studebaker parts but if his ad is 85% correct, it's worth the money. IMHO.
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I'll bet that car was someone's pride and joy when he "built" it!
                              He got his Hawk HIS way, a bunch of Studebaker parts put together and it does not look half bad, it must have been a looker in it's day.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X