Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does this small rubber seal go on Vent Window (57 GHawk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Where does this small rubber seal go on Vent Window (57 GHawk)

Hi!
    I've just completed disassembly, polishing stainless frames, and starting assembly of new rubber in all of my framed glass for my 1957 Golden Hawk. I bought the complete rubber kit, and I'm unable to find or figure out where this one small piece goes on the Vent Window.
    It is 307546 and 307547, vent window lower extension seal (?); catalog says it is for EXTERIOR of the vent window.... it is about 5" long, and for the life of me I can't find any photos of Hawks that show this, or anything in the catalog except exploded view and I don't see where it would go from that.
    Here is a photo; can anyone describe (or better yet a photo?) where this little bugger goes?
    Thanks!
    BarryClick image for larger version

Name:	seal photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1744502

If it is what I think it is it inserts between the vent window frame and door metal on the outside. It sort of slides down in the small gap between the two and seals the gap that is there.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
      If it is what I think it is it inserts between the vent window frame and door metal on the outside. It sort of slides down in the small gap between the two and seals the gap that is there.
      thanks; that would mean I can ignore these pieces until I actually am working on putting the car back together.

Only working on getting glass done and in their frames now, my neighbor has an Auto Glass company and is closing/retiring in October, so need to get these pieces to him and get it done. At this point, after modifying rubber notches for vent windows, installing new pot metal ventwindow shafts (like everyone else apparently!), and having to completely disassemble so I could sand and polish the stainless, not much left for him to do! But since he lives next door, it is still nice to have a pro put the rubber pieces in the 'tough spots' with their tricks of the trades, fit the vent window, rivet in the 'metal strip'.... and cut setting tape/rubber to correct lengths allowing for shrinkage, etc..

I recall when I did my Model-A Ford glass the first time, it fit perfectly in the rear-coupe window when I was done, and a year later had a 1/4" gap between the ends of the rubber where it had shrunk, right where water would leak in at the bottom :-)

Comment

There are many times and places where RTV is your friend. You can seal gaps with it, work the surface so it looks like the rest of the rubber, and fix certain types of leaks.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
        X