Size of v-8 in 62 gran turismo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of v-8 in 62 gran turismo

What size is the V-8 in the 62 Gran Turismo? And, does it have solid lifters-the one I just bought is very noisY.

Thank you to any one who can help me out.
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Typically, the engine in the Gran Turismo is a 289. And yes, it does have solid lifters. Studebakers are notoriously noisy when it comes to their lifters. Though, if its making serious clacking noises it probably needs an adjustment.
    sals54

Comment

Congratulations on your purchase. If the lifters are noisy I suggest adjusting them first. There is a method of adjusting them cold that you can find here using the "search" option. If when you remove the valve covers you find heavy deposits of crud from lack of oil changes then I suggest cleaning the oil pressure relief valve also. It is located at the right (passengers) front of the block to the side of the water pump manifold. A large nut will uncover a spring & a piston which may or may not be easy to remove. Remove that piston & clean out the bore well with carb cleaner, then reinstall the piston making sure it goes in the same way as it came out, then the spring & seal with the large nut. When all done change the oil & filter (if its a late 62). You know about ZDDP I'm sure since you have a bullet nose in your signature. Wishing you all the best with your G.T. I have always felt it being one of Studebakers best looking cars.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thank you for all the information, I really need it!
        sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana
        1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Working...
        X