No announcement yet.

Automatic Transmission cooling for 1964 Lark Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Automatic Transmission cooling for 1964 Lark Daytona

How is the transmission cooled, do not see any cooling lines running to the radiator?

It is air-cooled if it is a standard-duty Flightomatic, as are most of them.

Only if you ordered a Powershift floor automatic or column-shift Heavy-Duty Flightomatic did you get water cooling with the coolant lines running to the radiator as you are used to seeing on most other cars. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

On my truck, which came with a 259 and auto, Has a tranny cooler installed by the transmission. The water lines run from the motor thru the cooler and back to the motor. There are also trans oil running in and out of the cooler. I had to find a new one as mine was rusting out and combining water and oil together plus leaking on the ground. These a very hard to find. After 3 days of calling every vender and all leads I finally found one. The only one I know of anywhere. If you need pictures send an e-mail.

Comment

The Truck setup would be way overkill and too complicated and trouble prone for a car.
        IF you had a H.D. Trans. case it would be a simple connection from the case to the Oil cooler in the bottom tank of the radiator and back, OR on to an aftermarket external Oil Cooling Radiator in front of the Water Radiator and then back to Trans. This would be the "Trailering" setup for a car.

For normal driving your Daytona should be fine as built, with Air Cooling from the large Air opening on the right side of the Converter Housing.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There should also be a "shield" on the right hand side of the bell housing that forms a scoop to aid in cooling the converter. It is found in the parts book under section 0230-16, part # 1549244. This should be by the large air opening Rich spoke of.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thank you all for your response.

Comment

Working...
            X