Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Headlights

Anyone try any of the new HID's or LED lights lately? Thoughts?

Over the last two years the replacement of them has become more affordable and seem to improve the quality of efficiency as well...

I would be leery of HID's but using LED's require a lot less power so it's less of a burden on the wiring & switches. If I see a set-up for a retrofit to the regular round headlamps I might go for it.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Using HID's in one of my motorcycles.
      They actually are much cooler running thAn the "high powered" halogen styles. And the light...wonderfull. Most OEM headlights for motorcycles are easilly over driven, even in the "high beam" mode. The HID's...not so much.
      As long as you stay around the 57K range (white beam NOT into blue), it's pretty difficult to find a point where the bike is overrunning the lit-up road.

"BUT"..........for their best use AND respect for others vision, the headlights MUST be properly adjusted.

Actually thinking seriously about them myself for my 54 wagon driver.

I do know that LEDs are getting better, but I'm not sure they are really ready yet, at least for me. And they DO run warm. The better bike LED's actually have tiny little fans within the bulb..! Harley is the main bike running factory LED's right now. And I know they aren't quite up to snuff, light emiting wise. And they also have a bit of a problem with thier longevity.

Mike

P.s. - All modern motorcycle bulbs are Halogen (mostly 35w).

Comment

I'm planning to put the HID's on my 74 Avanti. I've done a fair amount of reading and I'll agree with Mike V. Initially use the white light 6000K for best visibility as he says.

As far as battery draw, they run directly off the battery through a relay so the existing wiring should handle actuating the relay if the wiring is in good shape. You'll want to shop around as they are offered from$39 to $1000+ a set so be sure you know what you are buying.

Just Google HID 6024 replacement or projection and you'll get more information than you can ever imagine.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X