Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparent Bargain 1953 Commander Starliner sells At Mecum Monterey

The Thursday bargains are definitely showing up

Page Not Found. Here are some quick links to the top Mecum Auctions pages to get you back on track quickly.

Four more Studebakers coming up on Thursday and Friday, including an R1 GT Hawk, 51 Champion, 87 Avanti and 52 Pick up

Not Stude related but also saw a 1991 Corvette ZR1 with less than 16k miles sell for $14,500
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Hmmm a "239" and a Bearcat. Maybe it was upgraded to a 259?
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

'53 Starliner sold for $7500, 87 Avanti Convertible sold for $14,500 and the '51 Champion sold for $4000.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Yep, the 1955 Bearcat 259 2V would have more like 172 HP not 130, under-advertised. Very nice Car, a steal at 7500.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I can't help it I just love the 53 coupes!
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
            I can't help it I just love the 53 coupes!
            Don't fight it. You're in good company.
            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
            jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

A 1961 Hawk with 4 speed sold for $15K.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That 1953 was a mid-year car built in South Bend that made its way to California.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                  '53 Starliner sold for $7500, 87 Avanti Convertible sold for $14,500 and the '51 Champion sold for $4000.
                  Was the 1987 convertible white? There was a white one at the previous Mecum Auction that was reported as sold for $18K.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Yes, the Avanti was white. The restomod/custom pickup was bid to $25,000 and did not sell. The R1 GT Hawk sold for $33k, which I think is good money based on other sales at this auction. Watching on Thursday and Friday I saw a lot of "Bid Goes On" auctions along with quite a few "well bought" or bargain buys. Seems like buyers were keeping their money pretty tight. Studegary, I think that 61 Hawk was from last years Mecum Monterey. One of the other channels was replaying the 2013 auction while this years was going on, confusing!

This is car week in Monterey, but I think a lot of emphasis there is on more exotic cars. Based on auctions I saw I wonder if maybe there would be a better auction for American classics, muscle cars and hot rods. Might be a good place for buyers of those cars, for sellers not so much. Just my observation.
                    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 08-16-2014, 05:56 AM.
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Speaks well for having a reserve. Anything can happen at an auction. That 53 was a definite give away.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                        Yes, the Avanti was white. The restomod/custom pickup was bid to $25,000 and did not sell. The R1 GT Hawk sold for $33k, which I think is good money based on other sales at this auction. Watching on Thursday and Friday I saw a lot of "Bid Goes On" auctions along with quite a few "well bought" or bargain buys. Seems like buyers were keeping their money pretty tight. Studegary, I think that 61 Hawk was from last years Mecum Monterey. One of the other channels was replaying the 2013 auction while this years was going on, confusing!

This is car week in Monterey, but I think a lot of emphasis there is on more exotic cars. Based on auctions I saw I wonder if maybe there would be a better auction for American classics, muscle cars and hot rods. Might be a good place for buyers of those cars, for sellers not so much. Just my observation.
                        Yes, you are correct. After switching around to three different networks, I discovered that two had the 2014 auction and one had the 2013 auction. It had me, and probably others, confused for awhile.
                        I also noticed a higher than usual percentage of "bid goes on" vehicles and only about two that had mention of an afterblock sale.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by FAK View Post
                          That was fast...
                          It's still a nice car and I don't see a reserve, so it would seem the seller expects it to go for quite a bit more than the purchase price. I would expect so too.

Bob

Comment

That 53 is beautiful and I love the color combo. I predict the ebay seller will double what he paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X