Throttle Control Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Throttle Control Rod

Hi, I'm trying to identify this part. I've been researching it online and in a manual and parts catalogue I have for my '63 Studebaker Cruiser, closest thing I've come to finding is throttle control bellcrank-to-carb rod assembly. Is this what it is called? I can't seem to find this part in either of my parts catalogues and was wondering if I can't find the specific part what alternative fix is there for this (cable/wire or stiff flexable rod rigged up)? Also any good reputable online parts catalogues? The ones I've browsed have only had a handful of parts and seemed kind of lacking in more than just having a small selection of parts. I've done everything on my Jeep but replace the engine but I'm not use to these older cars. (it's the silver-ish rod laying across everything)
    Attached Files

Studebaker Chassis Parts Book

Page 70. item 0312-20
    Page 116. part # 1539612
    Rod, Bell crank to carb. w/OD &AD - LHC

Studebaker West.

About $27.

Do you also need the "End" item 0312 - 23A, # 1547842 also on page 70 and 116 respectively.

Here are both.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2014, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Yep. Note that it's spring loaded and length-adjustable, and you have to set it to the proper length as specified in the shop manual before installation

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Cool thanks a lot, I found the proper length in my manual to set it to. Appreciate the help

Comment

Also if you need to replace it & want something anodized & shiny....,JEGS has one for a 67 - 69 Camero that works well (I have one in my 63 Hawk with Edelbrock 4 BBL),it's adjustable & doesn't use a spring....$29.95 + shipping. CheersClick image for larger version

Name:	New Engine-289R 011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1691756

Comment

[QUOTE=Stu Duglee;863516]Also if you need to replace it & want something anodized & shiny....,JEGS has one for a 67 - 69 Camero that works well (I have one in my 63 Hawk with Edelbrock 4 BBL),it's adjustable & doesn't use a spring....$29.95 + shipping. CheersClick image for larger version

Name:	New Engine-289R 011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1691756[/

Do you have a part number? I could not find it on the Jegs website.

Len.

Comment

I was able to find it & it is....#555-15795, Universal Throttle Linkage, 67 - 69 Camero. Max distance out is 12" & min distance is 9". Works good in my application.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Duglee View Post
                I was able to find it & it is....#555-15795, Universal Throttle Linkage, 67 - 69 Camero. Max distance out is 12" & min distance is 9". Works good in my application.
                Thats a nice piece but for the application he needs it would need to be spring loaded because of the automatic or overdrive transmission kickdown.

Len.

Comment

I have a FOM in my GT Hawk & the kick-down works fine without the internal spring in the throttle linkage.....I fabbed a make shift one up for testing before the JEGS model arrived & found no difference in kick-down, but everything else like the bell-crank & tranny linkage have to be happy too. I've been using it for 4 yrs & no negative issues.

Comment

I have a FOM in my GT Hawk & the kick-down works fine without the internal spring in the throttle linkage.....I fabbed a make shift one up for testing before the JEGS model arrived & found no difference in kick-down, but everything else like the bell-crank & tranny linkage have to be happy too. I've been using it for 4 yrs & no negative issues.
                    Cool, always thought it needed it..

Comment

I can see the need on an FOM equipped car, mainly for passing gear, since the FOM kick down lever has a longer throw than the carb linkage ear, especially if the "inner" hole is used at the bell crank. The spring action allows the linkage to continue to move the kick down lever on the tranny, after it has bottomed out on the carb and the butterflies are wide open. With the linkage connected at the outer hole in the bell crank the interference would be minimized, if even still existent.

I cannot see any reason it is necessary in an OD equipped car, unless the OD kick down switch, on top of the bell crank, were way out of adjustment. As you did, I fabed one for the 56J with OD several years ago, and it has always worked fine, but the OD kickdown is adjusted to match the linkage; it kicks the switch same time as the butterflies are all the way open.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        I can see the need on an FOM equipped car, mainly for passing gear, since the FOM kick down lever has a longer throw than the carb linkage ear, especially if the "inner" hole is used at the bell crank. The spring action allows the linkage to continue to move the kick down lever on the tranny, after it has bottomed out on the carb and the butterflies are wide open. With the linkage connected at the outer hole in the bell crank the interference would be minimized, if even still existent.

I cannot see any reason it is necessary in an OD equipped car, unless the OD kick down switch, on top of the bell crank, were way out of adjustment. As you did, I fabed one for the 56J with OD several years ago, and it has always worked fine, but the OD kickdown is adjusted to match the linkage; it kicks the switch same time as the butterflies are all the way open.
                        Joe, what if one wanted to run at WOT for some distance and not have the kickdown operate on an OD equipped car? Does the linkage allow for this or would the kickdown switch, as soon as the butterflies reached fully open, force the transmission to change down to third, non-overdrive? In my driving experience and WOT driving test of engines I have played with with OD transmissions, Flatheads and OHV sixes, I would like the transmission to remain in third overdrive even though the carb is wide open and wanted it to not kickdown unless I wanted it to. That is where the extra travel of the spring loaded rod is desirable. Or am I mistaken on adjustments and purpose of the rod?

Len.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                          Joe, what if one wanted to run at WOT for some distance and not have the kickdown operate on an OD equipped car? Does the linkage allow for this or would the kickdown switch, as soon as the butterflies reached fully open, force the transmission to change down to third, non-overdrive? In my driving experience and WOT driving test of engines I have played with with OD transmissions, Flatheads and OHV sixes, I would like the transmission to remain in third overdrive even though the carb is wide open and wanted it to not kickdown unless I wanted it to. That is where the extra travel of the spring loaded rod is desirable. Or am I mistaken on adjustments and purpose of the rod?

Len.
                          Len,
                          You are right on the money, and probably ditto for FOMs. But to me that would be like driving a 5-speed in fifth gear, and not downshifting for hills or passing, but just pushing the pedal to the metal. I suppose that may be desirable with a Stude six cylinder, and maybe for some folks with Stude V8. I set my ODs up as described above many years ago, and just got used to driving that way, and kick down is for passing, hills, and quicker high speed. But then I run tall gears with OD (3.54 in the GT and 3.31 in the 56J), and the tall gears work good in the above situations.
                          For example, with the 56J, I can come up behind someone doing 50 MPH on a country road, find a straight stretch, floor it and kick down to 3rd, and be running about 80 MPH when I pull back in front of them. That would not happen if it stayed in OD (2.38 final drive ratio). OTOH, if the same car had a factory 3.92, (2.82 FD) it may do better.

You are absolutely right though, and that may be more the reason S-P used the spring-in-rod linkage, rather than to compensate for differences in the bell-cranks' geometry, as I speculated above.

Comment

Working...
                          X