Transmission mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission mounts

Stabbed my 289 motor in my 56 transtar yesterday. No problem there .The transmission mounts do not match up to the crossmember. I do not believe that either the motor or transmission are original to the truck, but even in the truck manual it shows these same transmission mounts. The transmission is a 2 speed flightomatic or a borg and warner. Any suggestions. I have both sets of the 2 different trans mounts also. Now I am still stuck with a dead truck.

Without a picture, my first guess would be that you've got the Detroit gear 3 band Studebaker Automatic engine mounts which is what COULD HAVE BEEN original a '56, but you have a Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic 2 band car Transmission you are trying to install!

Either way all Automatics are 3 speed, most car trannies (V-8) just start in 2nd. but all have 3 speeds using Low range (L).

Added: I think I've got it!... The answer is in the '49-'56 Truck Parts Catalog, Pg.18 ! There is a special "BRACKET" (looks like a large saddle) that goes under the Bellhousing to enable you to use a CAR Bellhousing in a Truck! The Studebaker Automatic takes a 683979, and the Flight-O-Matic takes a 1686126 bracket, you have the wrong bracket. [:0]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Without a picture, my first guess would be that you've got the Detroit gear 3 band Studebaker Automatic engine mounts which is what COULD HAVE BEEN original a '56, but you have a Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic 2 band car Transmission you are trying to install!

Either way all Automatics are 3 speed, most car trannies (V-8) just start in 2nd. but all have 3 speeds using Low range (L).

Added: I think I've got it!... The answer is in the '49-'56 Truck Parts Catalog, Pg.18 ! There is a special "BRACKET" (looks like a large saddle) that goes under the Bellhousing to enable you to use a CAR Bellhousing in a Truck! The Studebaker Automatic takes a 683979, and the Flight-O-Matic takes a 1686126 bracket, you have the wrong bracket. [:0]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Where can I find this truck parts catalog?

Comment

Comment

Apparently you are not receiving "Turning Wheels" or reading it!
            Most Stude. vendors at studebakervendors.com have the reprinted Original Parts Catalogs and Shop Manuals in book form or CD Disc.

I get $45.00 for Book or $20.00 for CD.

quote:Originally posted by bkz81

Do you HAVE a adapter (bracket) under the Bellhousing to bolt the rear engine mounts onto? [?]

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Apparently you are not receiving "Turning Wheels" or reading it!
              Most Stude. vendors at studebakervendors.com have the reprinted Original Parts Catalogs and Shop Manuals in book form or CD Disc.

I get $45.00 for Book or $20.00 for CD.

Do you HAVE a adapter (bracket) under the Bellhousing to bolt the rear engine mounts onto? [?]

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No I don't, but from what I understand that is what I need. Does this adapter bracket reach forward to grab the teardrop shaped mounts bolted to the bellhousing or the other rectangular mounts?

Comment

No I don't, but from what I understand that is what I need. Does this adapter bracket reach forward to grab the teardrop shaped mounts bolted to the bellhousing or the other rectangular mounts?

Comment

These are the Flight-O-Matic Mounts, the Detroit Gear Mounts have a lot shorter "mounting strap" to the Bracket. If you have the Shop Manual, it also shows the Installation under Studebaker Automatic and Flight-O-Matic section.

[img][/img]

Unfortunately, it is pretty clear to me that you did not start with a Truck that was factory equipped with a Flight-O-Matic, so you will need some rare, hard to find parts to make this installation "bolt in".

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

These are the Flight-O-Matic Mounts, the Detroit Gear Mounts have a lot shorter "mounting strap" to the Bracket. If you have the Shop Manual, it also shows the Installation under Studebaker Automatic and Flight-O-Matic section.

[img][/img]

Unfortunately, it is pretty clear to me that you did not start with a Truck that was factory equipped with a Flight-O-Matic, so you will need some rare, hard to find parts to make this installation "bolt in".

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think that this might be a flightomatic from a car.

Comment

I think that this might be a flightomatic from a car.

Comment

Working...
                          X