Blowing fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Blowing fuses

I have a problem with blowing fuses in my '64 Champ. The fuse in question is the one which affects the brake and interior lights. I will not drive the truck until I get this figured out. I disconnected the interior bulb to isolate that as a possible cause-blew a fuse! I then disconnected a wire from the brake light switch on the MC-blew another fuse. I also deactivated the glove box light I am in the process of tracing the black wire from the post which appears to go into the harness, possibly the turn signal switch. Could the turn signal switch be the culprit? Could I have a short in the column wiring? I might add that when my Dad and I rebuilt the Champ we installed gauges from a '63 Daytona along with the speedo by hogging out the bezel. All has been good for many years-until now. Your thoughts are welcome before I tear out even more of my thinning hair.
    Rob in PA.

It is obvious something is shorting to ground. And as you are finding it can be confounding. Perhaps you should check the alternate gauges you installed. perhaps something has come loose - and is shorting. Otherwise yes, you should trace down each wire. For what it is worth I had a Datsun 240 Z years ago. I was rummaging around under the dash one day and found a disconnected connector with electrical tape over the end. I pulled the tape off out of curiosity, looked the connector over and then just left if hanging - or so I thought.

The next day I was blowing a fuse when I turned my lights on. And one after the other they blew upon insertion. Hours later I deduced that the connector I had observed the day before was for the fog light option (not installed). When I pulled the tape and then let the connector dangle the head of a near by screw had worked its way just enough into the connector to short it out upon powering the lights. The odds of the connector touching a screw on the mostly carpeted section, being able to get deep enough into the connector, and touching the 12 V + side of the connector were probably 99.9 to 1, by they did.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Just remember that when you disconnected that wire, it was still hot all the way back to it's source, so did not prove much at all. Removing the Bulb does nothing either to isolate the short.

The problem could be in the Dome Light switch, disconnect the Power coming into the Dome Light Switch from the under-dash Fuse board and re-connect the Stop Light Switch.

Yes the Stop Light Wire from the Brake Light Switch does go into the turn Signal Switch and could be crimped in the steering Jacket, but that job, pulling the wheel etc. is not the easiest, so eliminate all the other possibilities first.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Just remember that when you disconnected that wire, it was still hot all the way back to it's source, so did not prove much at all. Removing the Bulb does nothing either to isolate the short.

The problem could be in the Dome Light switch, disconnect the Power coming into the Dome Light Switch from the under-dash Fuse board and re-connect the Stop Light Switch.

Yes the Stop Light Wire from the Brake Light Switch does go into the turn Signal Switch and could be crimped in the steering Jacket, but that job, pulling the wheel etc. is not the easiest, so eliminate all the other possibilities first.
        StudeRich
        I'll give your advice a shot and get back to the pos
        Thanks
        Rob in PA.

Comment

My guess is somewhere in the dome light circuit. That is most common. Check the door activator switches and the wiring through the cab. Start by disconnecting that entire circuit. If you no longer blow a fuse, than you can look along the circuit/wiring for the problem. It may be just a wire with a worn spot, but that is enough and sometimes hard to find. As has been said, taking out the bulb does no good.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

pull off the driver's side w/s garnish mldg. and chase the cloth covered/waxed wire from dome light to fuse block.....

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              My guess is somewhere in the dome light circuit. That is most common. Check the door activator switches and the wiring through the cab. Start by disconnecting that entire circuit. If you no longer blow a fuse, than you can look along the circuit/wiring for the problem. It may be just a wire with a worn spot, but that is enough and sometimes hard to find. As has been said, taking out the bulb does no good.
              Unless it has been "upgraded", Champs Deluxe with a Dome Light or Std. Cab with none, have no Door switches.
              And if they did, they would not short out as they will only Light the Light, because they are grounds.

This is a partially good suggestion for Cars with lights that will not shut off, but not for Trucks.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Unless it has been "upgraded", Champs Deluxe with a Dome Light or Std. Cab with none, have no Door switches.
                And if they did, they would not short out as they will only Light the Light, because they are grounds.

This is a partially good suggestion for Cars with lights that will not shut off, but not for Trucks.
                Thank you. You are correct!
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

To all of the above -thanks for your input! I have to admit that I am a D/A in that when my Dad and I rebuilt the T Cab we wired in the door switches. I remembered that when the switch was in the manual light switch mode the fuse would blow. I had some time today to check the switch position and noted it had been changed to manual(downward position). I flipped the switch (upward) no problems and the brake lights worked as well. Now I need to figure what we did when we rewired the truck so it works even in the manual mode. Thanks again for all your expertise. I'm sure I'll still need some help.
                  Rob in PA.

Comment

The Dome Light and it's switch is tricky, the Door switches Ground the light when in the OFF position, when in the Manual ON position, you are switching the Hot Power Circuit on! You have it crossed up, creating a direct short!
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich
                      Thanks for the info. I'll take care of it as I put things back together. Thanks for all the input from everyone.
                      Rob in PA.

Comment

If I recall correctly all Studebaker interior lights that are operated by the opening of a door are only turned on or off by switching the ground. That includes the switch that is mounted on the light which also switches the ground.
                        Even the Avanti which runs two wires to the door switch; turns the light on and off by opening and closing the ground circuit.
                        Ron

Comment

Ron
                          Thanks for the input. Once I get the truck back together I'm going to try and find why the rear interior lights aren't working on my Dad's '64 Avanti! That's for another day as well as another thread!
                          Rob in PA.

Comment

StudeRich
                            I switched the wires at the light itself. The door switches as well as the dome switch work now as they should. NO MORE BLOWN FUSES! I owe you and others a cold one! My wife and I are planning on coming up the Left coast in late Sept./early Oct. perhaps we can get together. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!
                            Rob in PA.

Comment

You are Welcome. You will be glad you did if you get here in the Northwest by the 13,-14, Weekend, any chance you can make it earlier?

Info here:
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...d-in-September
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 08-29-2014, 02:56 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X