Help finding a paint code? 1953 Chippewa Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Help finding a paint code? 1953 Chippewa Green

I tried to order a can of paint for my 53 the other day and after much difficulty the store told me they couldn't find a paint "recipe" I've tried searching online but don't really know what I'm looking for. What would a paint recipe look like and does anyone know where to find them? They have a chip book but apparently that didn't help.

Here is the Info available on line:

StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is a link with an outstanding paint cross reference and current formulas..

Click Here for 1953 Studebaker ==> Paint Cross Reference

I see your Chippewa Green there for Ditzler PPG and ACME..

1953 Studebaker Paint Velvet Black, A Salem White, E Nocturne Blue, F Tahoe Green, I Ivory Mist, J Coral Red, K Manchester Maroon, L Monterey Beige, M Olympic Gray, O Chippewa Green, P Lombard Green, S Tacoma Gray, X Bombay Red, Z Maui Blue, Alamo Tan, Bell Blue Gray, Bell Green, Cherokee Red, Chrome Yellow, Clover Green, Forest Green, Harbor Green, Iroquois Blue, Midnight Blue, Normandy Gray, Swift Red, Tuscin Tan, Yukon Gray

Comment

I'm still a little confused here, say I were to write it down to bring into the store, what specifically am I looking for? The number "41379"?

Comment

The number 41379 is a PPG Paint Code, the P-2447-C or P-2463-C are Studebaker Paint codes all for 1953 Chippewa Green.
          The DAL & DQE are noted at the top of the Page as the 2 available types of paint for that Color IN THE DAY, today they would be different base types of Paint.

They have to transfer that to the Color formula to mix it in their current system, if you go with PPG Paint, it should be a more direct crossover to current numbers and Formulas.

If Dupont or another Brand, they have to cross it over to their completely different system.
          Only use National Brands of Automotive Paint to get high quality, correct paint.

Usually the best way is to have them scan a known correct, un-faded piece of metal like a Gas Door, or inside a Trunklid or Door Jam.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had Chippewa Green mixed in Dupont Centauri in 2002. The paint supply place mixed it to what they looked up in their books. I have a dried up can of the left overs at home. I'll go take a look this evening at the label and post the numbers.

I think Dupont brand paint was sold to someone and has a different name now though.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks, I would appreciate that.

Comment

Here is the label:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chippewa Green Paint label.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1691747

Somehow I recalled this had a formula (qty of different pigments) on it but does not. Also got the year wrong. I painted the car in 2001.

Centari is single state acrylic enamel.

I can tell you the color I got was pretty much dead to rights correct.

Hope this helps.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Helps a ton, thanks for the effort and great looking car by the way!

Comment

Dupont automotive paint is now know as Axalta.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I phoned in my order today, they said it was a good number!

Comment

Working...
                      X