PDA

View Full Version : R2 GT Hawk milestone

JDP
10-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Well, with the owners 51K and my almost 10K invested, the 64 R2 GT project is winding down. I still need to pay a $500 balance on the bumpers I'm waiting for, maybe $500 more on new carpets and woodgrain and hopefully maybe $1000 for odds and ends. It's running and driving with just one used bucket seat until I get it all sorted out. I won't install the new Phantom interior until the last minute since it has NOS cloth inserts. I drove it up to the gas station to fill up with high test and found I needed to adjust the throttle pressure, and I did that. I also installed the new accelerator pump seal and that took care of the blower forcing gas out around the shaft. BTW, the $600 windshield belt line I bought on ebay is magnificent. It's kinda neat to drive with all that new stuff working, right down to the NOS clock.

http://stude.com/GTR2/Nov.jpg

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT cost to date
$60,222.25
63 GT Hawk
63 Lark 2 door
59 Scotsman
54 Starlight
52 Starliner
51 Commander
39 Coupe express
39 Coupe express (rod)

bams50
10-19-2007, 03:03 PM
That is a pretty car; but here's the problem with it for me: It's at a level that I would be uncomfortable driving it even to the gas station, for fear a stone might chip the paint or, God forbid, scratch that big-buck grille shell[:0][xx(]

I have no idea what you'd be willing to sell it for, but I could never justify a car from which I couldn't extract the number one benefit I need from my collector cars: The ability to comfortably drive it- long AND short trips- as it was originally intended!

That said, it is a beauty; and I understand not everyone will feel the same way as I.

Hopefully I'll be able to see it in person someday, and do what I always do with cars like this: Bend slightly at the waist to look inside and under the hood with both hands behind my back, snap a couple of pictures, and walk away.[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
10-19-2007, 03:03 PM
That is a pretty car; but here's the problem with it for me: It's at a level that I would be uncomfortable driving it even to the gas station, for fear a stone might chip the paint or, God forbid, scratch that big-buck grille shell[:0][xx(]

I have no idea what you'd be willing to sell it for, but I could never justify a car from which I couldn't extract the number one benefit I need from my collector cars: The ability to comfortably drive it- long AND short trips- as it was originally intended!

That said, it is a beauty; and I understand not everyone will feel the same way as I.

Hopefully I'll be able to see it in person someday, and do what I always do with cars like this: Bend slightly at the waist to look inside and under the hood with both hands behind my back, snap a couple of pictures, and walk away.[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

Roscomacaw
10-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Robert, I feel exactly as you do about it. It's the main reason I don't angst about having the right interior or hose clamps or whatever. Museum pieces/trophy-getters are fine - in museums anyway. But my simple approach is that the only reason they were built was to be used as transportation.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Robert, I feel exactly as you do about it. It's the main reason I don't angst about having the right interior or hose clamps or whatever. Museum pieces/trophy-getters are fine - in museums anyway. But my simple approach is that the only reason they were built was to be used as transportation.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

JDP
10-19-2007, 03:18 PM
You hit the nail on the head, even I won't keep it for that very reason. I can wash the car, and five minutes later I can see dust on the mirror finish of the paint and chrome. Open the hood, and leave a big finger print on the grill shell, want to work under the hood, wash your hands first. I won't even put some of the new chrome on under the hood until the last minute since even a brush with a shop towel would put minute scratches in the chrome. The one guy that seems most interested in the car wants it as a driver, a year or two of that and it'll get enough patina so that some of those issues will go away. It'll only be at it's best the first day it's done, sort of like when it was new.:)

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT cost to date
$60,222.25
63 GT Hawk
63 Lark 2 door
59 Scotsman
54 Starlight
52 Starliner
51 Commander
39 Coupe express
39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP
10-19-2007, 03:18 PM
You hit the nail on the head, even I won't keep it for that very reason. I can wash the car, and five minutes later I can see dust on the mirror finish of the paint and chrome. Open the hood, and leave a big finger print on the grill shell, want to work under the hood, wash your hands first. I won't even put some of the new chrome on under the hood until the last minute since even a brush with a shop towel would put minute scratches in the chrome. The one guy that seems most interested in the car wants it as a driver, a year or two of that and it'll get enough patina so that some of those issues will go away. It'll only be at it's best the first day it's done, sort of like when it was new.:)

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT cost to date
$60,222.25
63 GT Hawk
63 Lark 2 door
59 Scotsman
54 Starlight
52 Starliner
51 Commander
39 Coupe express
39 Coupe express (rod)

Bill Pressler
10-19-2007, 03:46 PM
John, that car is drop-dead gorgeous. It's my favorite Studebaker model, in my favorite Studebaker factory color, with the best Studebaker engine (in my opinion!) If it had a black vinyl Sports Roof, well.....I better stop now before I say something stupid like "I'd cash in my 401-K or something" (oops, too late!)

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT cost to date
$60,222.25
63 GT Hawk
63 Lark 2 door
59 Scotsman
54 Starlight
52 Starliner
51 Commander
39 Coupe express
39 Coupe express (rod)

Bill Pressler
10-19-2007, 03:46 PM
John, that car is drop-dead gorgeous. It's my favorite Studebaker model, in my favorite Studebaker factory color, with the best Studebaker engine (in my opinion!) If it had a black vinyl Sports Roof, well.....I better stop now before I say something stupid like "I'd cash in my 401-K or something" (oops, too late!)

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT cost to date
$60,222.25
63 GT Hawk
63 Lark 2 door
59 Scotsman
54 Starlight
52 Starliner
51 Commander
39 Coupe express
39 Coupe express (rod)

mbstude
10-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Beautiful car, JP. [^] The perfect color for it too.

The first thing I'd do, if it were my car, would be to DRIVE it on a long trip on some lonely backroads, to truly enjoy that 'new' Studebaker feel. [^]

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/siggy_pic.jpg

mbstude
10-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Beautiful car, JP. [^] The perfect color for it too.

The first thing I'd do, if it were my car, would be to DRIVE it on a long trip on some lonely backroads, to truly enjoy that 'new' Studebaker feel. [^]

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/siggy_pic.jpg