X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find this car?!

Hello all.
    This is a real longshot.
    I am trying to find a 1950(possibly 1951) Studebaker Commander (possibly Champion) covertible that was in the family until around 1955 near Phoenix, Arizona. All I have is a fuzzy photo from 1953 or 1954 showing it parked in a yard with a tarp over it. I managed to identify it no closer than the description above. It appears to have been a light color with a dark convertible top. (Black and white photo). It does, however, have a 1952 or 1953 Arizona license plate in the picture. The plate number is V-13962. Does anyone know of such a car? I really would love to find out what happened to it!
    Thanks! -JB

This will be near impossible, unless you give more to go on. Was the car a flathead six or a V8? Do you have any old pictures that you could post so that we could determine the year and model. Best of all, do you have any old registrations, bills, title, etc. that give any of the numbers, such as; serial number, engine number? Have you tried contacting the Arizona DMV with that plate number, owner's name and year to see if you can learn more, like what number was used for the VIN (S/N or engine number)?

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

This will be near impossible, unless you give more to go on. Was the car a flathead six or a V8? Do you have any old pictures that you could post so that we could determine the year and model. Best of all, do you have any old registrations, bills, title, etc. that give any of the numbers, such as; serial number, engine number? Have you tried contacting the Arizona DMV with that plate number, owner's name and year to see if you can learn more, like what number was used for the VIN (S/N or engine number)?

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Truly - a needle in a haystack would be an easier hunt. At least with the needle, you'd know it was there to find.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Truly - a needle in a haystack would be an easier hunt. At least with the needle, you'd know it was there to find.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Gary. Unfortunately the answer to nearly all your questions is I don't know, no, no, no, no, no. The photo is all I have. No records, papers, no one alive who remembers it, nothing. I will scan the one photo I have and post it. I tried the Arizona DMV but so far they have been unable to help unless I give them a VIN or current license plate. Geez, I don't even know if the car still exists! As I said this is a real longshot! I'm hoping that someone on the forum says "hey! looks like my car!" or someone recalls seeing a similar car. Then we could possibly back-trace via DMV and see if we get anywhere. Heres the photo:

If it didn't load, here's the link:

Thanks, -JB

Comment

Thanks Gary. Unfortunately the answer to nearly all your questions is I don't know, no, no, no, no, no. The photo is all I have. No records, papers, no one alive who remembers it, nothing. I will scan the one photo I have and post it. I tried the Arizona DMV but so far they have been unable to help unless I give them a VIN or current license plate. Geez, I don't even know if the car still exists! As I said this is a real longshot! I'm hoping that someone on the forum says "hey! looks like my car!" or someone recalls seeing a similar car. Then we could possibly back-trace via DMV and see if we get anywhere. Heres the photo:

If it didn't load, here's the link:

Thanks, -JB

Comment

JB - You really don't have much to go on. It appears to be a 1950, not 1951 (incorrect trunk handle for 1951).

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

JB - You really don't have much to go on. It appears to be a 1950, not 1951 (incorrect trunk handle for 1951).

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

OK! that's a lot of help! It is clearly a 1950 Champion! [^]

Not that it helps to find it much though! But if you ever wanted to BUY a replacement, at least you know what it was!

Rich.

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK! that's a lot of help! It is clearly a 1950 Champion! [^]

Not that it helps to find it much though! But if you ever wanted to BUY a replacement, at least you know what it was!

Rich.

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jbxk150

Hello all.
                        This is a real longshot.
                        This is a real longshot too!!! Have you tried contacting the two SDC Chapters in Arizona? Apprears there was one/is one in AZ. Check it out here too: http://www.grandcanyonsdc.com/page6.html

Good Luck!

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jbxk150

Hello all.
                          This is a real longshot.
                          This is a real longshot too!!! Have you tried contacting the two SDC Chapters in Arizona? Apprears there was one/is one in AZ. Check it out here too: http://www.grandcanyonsdc.com/page6.html

Good Luck!

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Yup, StudeRich has it right. '50 Champion. The trunk emblem/handle is for a Champion. And it looks like the tailight surrounds are painted, rather than chrome. (well, I think that means Champion. Or did chrome come with DeLuxe or Regal trim only for either model??) The plain bumper (no center indent) also says "Champion."

Still, even with that much determined. . . good luck!

Paul

Paul

1950 Land Cruiser project

I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                            1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Yup, StudeRich has it right. '50 Champion. The trunk emblem/handle is for a Champion. And it looks like the tailight surrounds are painted, rather than chrome. (well, I think that means Champion. Or did chrome come with DeLuxe or Regal trim only for either model??) The plain bumper (no center indent) also says "Champion."

Still, even with that much determined. . . good luck!

Paul

Paul

1950 Land Cruiser project

I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                              1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Working...
                              X