PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker international raising prices

davette59
08-08-2014, 10:35 PM
If you have the existing catalog and are going to order parts, be sure to either go on line or call for current prices. I was going to order the chrome exhaust tips for my Avanti which were priced at $45 each last month. They are now $60 each. Guess I'll be getting my existing ones re-chromed. This is just so you don't get a shock when you check your credit card bill.

Chris Pile
08-09-2014, 12:14 AM
No surprises there.

61Lark
08-09-2014, 09:38 AM
I just placed an order online yesterday noticed that also. There were a few things that had gone up by $5 to $10, not a huge deal.

What shocked me was carpet had gone up from around $250 to $310. So I just didn't order it.

sweetolbob
08-09-2014, 09:40 AM
If you have the existing catalog and are going to order parts, be sure to either go on line or call for current prices. I was going to order the chrome exhaust tips for my Avanti which were priced at $45 each last month. They are now $60 each. Guess I'll be getting my existing ones re-chromed. This is just so you don't get a shock when you check your credit card bill.

Just a thought Dave, but you might want to check the price of re-chroming before you put down the order blank. Bob

davette59
08-09-2014, 11:18 AM
I wish we had some fore warning of the price increase, we could have ordered while the cost was less. I guess what I don't understand is that many of these items are the same ones that were bought by SI years before and their cost on these items already in stock should not have increased that much. I do understand that overhead and cost of doing business goes up somewhat but not 30% or more. It's like the gas stations that buy gas at $3.00 a gallon and store it in these huge tanks and when the price goes up they sell it for the increased cost of $3.80 even though they paid a lot less.
I do, however, love SI and they have always treated me very well. I guess I'm just bitter about the greed of big business such as selling the same old product, using a much smaller container selling it for the same price, while putting the " new and improved" label on it.
Oh Well! Fun to just rant once in a while. I guess I'll probably get blasted for speaking my mind but that's OK.

davette59
08-09-2014, 11:21 AM
I had my headlight trim re-chromed for half of what the new ones cost, but I'm sure that's not always the case.

swvalcon
08-09-2014, 11:47 AM
The price on everything seems to just keep going up. Everything but wages they go down. I just had a price to have my tail light housings rechrome by Jerry here on the site and chrome work is not cheap. What I do like about it is the part was made here in the USA and will fit and I know Jerrys chorme will last as long as it did from studebaker. Not like the stuff from over seas that you have to butcher to make fit and 2 years later it's all pitted and peeling.

53commander
08-09-2014, 01:32 PM
I noticed the price increase at Dover when I went to by some trim pieces. When I mentioned it to Ed he said all prices were going up but he gave me the parts at the old prices.

BRUCESTUDE
08-09-2014, 01:53 PM
SI is a family run business, specializing in STUDEBAKERS! Everything seems to be going up again, so I am not suprised by the increases, but it will not stop me from buying parts from them as their parts availability and customer service is excellent.

bezhawk
08-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Parts for your new car are much more expensive. Ed' can't live off his good looks alone! He has to pay rent heat and wages to help just like any good business. Do you want his help to starve?
At least we have parts!

Gunslinger
08-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Utilities go up, real estate taxes go up, business taxes go up, health care insurance costs go up...and on and on. That has to be recovered somehow to maintain profitability and keep employees in their jobs. If past retails are maintained and SI becomes unprofitable to the point of going under...who are they helping?

mmagic
08-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Ed's prices have been static for several years and remain more than competitive on parts like water pumps that can be had elsewhere. We did a save from the crusher on a '62 Galaxie convertible 2 years ago and I quickly appreciated SI pricing. You would have thought everything we bought for that car was made of gold!

Praise God for the sources we are blessed with.

Corvanti
08-09-2014, 06:29 PM
i agree with BRUCESTUDE, Brad Bez, Mr. B (Gunslinger) and Mervin (mmagic)!!!:!:

i use the "latest" S.I. catalog to look up parts, then purchase online. i did notice the Avanti exhaust tip (AC-3339) was priced as "Davette59" stated - $45 in the catalog and $60 online.

so, what can be done? perhaps Mr. Reynolds could start making a yearly catalog available - at a higher catalog purchase price to provide for the labor costs of doing so. not to mention many parts that are still being accounted for and may be added. or he could "dump" the catalog and go totally online. that would "tick off" a bunch of "us" in the Studebaker world that don't (or won't) use a computer. there is no easy solution.

i appreciate S.I. and all other Studebaker Vendors that provide us with what we need - in a professional manner!

Gunslinger
08-09-2014, 06:50 PM
I don't have a copy of the most recent SI catalog close, but I would think it would have a disclaimer the prices are subject to change.

Corvanti
08-09-2014, 07:15 PM
I don't have a copy of the most recent SI catalog close, but I would think it would have a disclaimer the prices are subject to change.

Page 4, lower left hand corner.;)

JRoberts
08-09-2014, 07:30 PM
The prices on everything else is this world are going up, why should we think Studebaekr parts wouldn't have price increases as well?

StudeRich
08-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Not that Ed really needs any help managing his Business, but:
I think I've GOT IT! Why not do as Studebaker of Canada did; "No costly annual design changes"! :cool:

Just get ALL of the Newly inventoried SASCO South Bend Parts in the Catalog and the 2014 Price increases (or no prices), print it, and then issue Annual or semi-annual Price (only) Booklets just the way Studebaker Automotive Sales Corp. Plant 8 Parts Depot did for many years until Newman & Altman bought them out.

jnormanh
08-09-2014, 07:42 PM
No surprises there.

It's just capitalism at work.. Buy low, sell high. Supply and demand.

When you've got something people want, and no one else does, the price can get pretty high.

I saw one great example recently. Original Sprite steering wheels weren't very durable, and none have been made new since the early 1960s. When they were available new they were about ten bucks. There haven't been any, anywhere, for at least two decades. Recently a NOS one did actually show up on eBay. The asking price was $1400. Whether it sold or not, I don't know.

The market for them is probably not more than a few dozen per year, so nobody is going to tool up to make new ones.

Silverplate
08-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Parts for your new car are much more expensive. Ed' can't live off his good looks alone! He has to pay rent heat and wages to help just like any good business. Do you want his help to starve?
At least we have parts!

I totally agree. It's great to pick up the phone and get what I want for old car. There are a lot of other brands with much more expensive parts and hard to find. Looking forward to SI's new catalog due out any day now I believe.

ddub
08-09-2014, 08:12 PM
We need SI to be profitable so they stay in business, so, Ed, charge what you need to.

rusty65
08-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Roscomacaw
08-09-2014, 08:31 PM
CASO - CASO - CASO - CASO..... LOL! I had a fella call me just the other day. Wanted to know if I had a vent wing glass in clear. His car has one vent glass that's colored and it's buggin' him big time. I didn't have it, but suggested he try SI since I was willing to bet they'd have it. Then the whining started... "They may well have it but this damned Wagonaire is bleeding me to DEATH with the cost of the various parts I've had to round up. I can't BELIEVE how stupid I was to think I could afford to restore this thing....."

I didn't lecture the guy - I don't really care. I had sold him the tailgate switch and body for the power window awhile back - sold it to him for maybe a quarter of what such a thing (with nice chrome to boot!) was worth.

I still think about that GLEAMING, SWEET-RUNNING '60 Lark VIII hardtop I refused for one hundred dollars! WHAT was I thinking??? Oh - that's right - it was 1975. Those days are GONE. All that's left is memories like the Lark I just mentioned and wishful thinking.

63t-cab
08-09-2014, 09:43 PM
What does that have to do with the cost of the PARTS - going up :confused:

Not that Ed really needs any help managing his Business, but:
I think I've GOT IT! Why not do as Studebaker of Canada did; "No costly annual design changes"! :cool:

Just get ALL of the Newly inventoried SASCO South Bend Parts in the Catalog and the 2014 Price increases (or no prices), print it, and then issue Annual or semi-annual Price (only) Booklets just the way Studebaker Automotive Sales Corp. Plant 8 Parts Depot did for many years until Newman & Altman bought them out.

63t-cab
08-09-2014, 09:47 PM
It's always an "AW" when prices go up,but then I think :confused: - what does it cost Ed,the instant He turns the lights on at either location :eek:

StudeDave57
08-09-2014, 11:05 PM
s
What does that have to do with the cost of the PARTS - going up :confused:

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do know enough about the StudeParts business to be dangerous. :yeahright:

The cost of printing a huge catolog like SI's must not be cheap. If other costs of doing business also go up- parts prices, paid for or not- have to make up the difference. But doing the catalog like Dad suggests could help reduce the cost of printing said huge catalog, and therefore (might maybe) help keep the cost of those other expenses from affecting parts prices.
And BTW~ Dad's idea IS how it is done elsewhere in the parts business World. Had you read all of what Dad posted- you'd know that it was also how Studebaker did it back in the day... :ohmy: :rolleyes:
:cheers:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

BobWaitz
08-09-2014, 11:31 PM
I don't begrudge Ed a dime. Ed and the other big vendors that saved lots of parts when they would have gone to the scrap yard pay employees, rent/property taxes, heat, electricity, gas, etc. to hold on to parts for years and years so someone call call up and get something that isn't available anywhere else for a car that was made 60 years ago. If we were driving something from the big 3 it would be a simple matter of calling any of a dozen places for a brand new gas tank or fender. Heck you can build a 5-6-7 Chevy stock where not one single part is original. I can list a dozen guys that I've had the pleasure to meet in South Bend that have gone out of their way to save parts, reproduce parts or make new parts for us. That's worth a lot to me.

StudeRich
08-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Joe, it helps the current situation a lot, the prices have raised but the New Catalog is not in the hands of the buyers.

But what I was getting at is, instead of everyone being in between Catalogs and unsure of pricing, a quick, easy and cheaper "Price List" could be updated, printed and mailed MUCH Quicker than a full Catalog.

I understand it is a big project, very time consuming to add all the "New" parts, update the prices, and very expensive, so Dave's thought of it being a huge cost saving would also have to help.

stude dude
08-10-2014, 04:58 AM
Did anyone notice quite a few parts actually went DOWN in price when the 2012 catalog came out?

Most of this comes down the the supplier network, or the cost of materials which is going to constantly change.

Chris.

AC0J
08-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Thanks to this forum, I found SI.
their prices were CHEAP compared to what I had found elsewhere.
I was looking for door glass "u" channel and door weather strips. SI was less than 1/2 the price of anywhere else I had found.
Even with the recent price updates, they are still a bargain one stop shop for all things stude.

63t-cab
08-10-2014, 12:20 PM
I did read everything Dad said,might/maybe = equals wishful thinking. bottom line is EVERY THING goes up in price eventually,including PARTS prices regardless of catalog design.just because We were so spoiled for so many years on cheap CASO prices in the Stude world apparently doesn't hold water too what's going on now.

s

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do know enough about the StudeParts business to be dangerous. :yeahright:

The cost of printing a huge catolog like SI's must not be cheap. If other costs of doing business also go up- parts prices, paid for or not- have to make up the difference. But doing the catalog like Dad suggests could help reduce the cost of printing said huge catalog, and therefore (might maybe) help keep the cost of those other expenses from affecting parts prices.
And BTW~ Dad's idea IS how it is done elsewhere in the parts business World. Had you read all of what Dad posted- you'd know that it was also how Studebaker did it back in the day... :ohmy: :rolleyes:
:cheers:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

davette59
08-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Everything goes up as time goes on to keep up with the increased cost of living. The problem I have is when things take a huge jump such as 33% higher. That is much higher than an average cost increase for the cost of doing business. A 10% increase would seem a lot more reasonable.
I agree with everyone that SI as well as many other vendors such as Clark's Corvair Parts have a business that we could not do without and do us a great service by being in business. Where would we be without them? In my opinion it is their suppliers that are getting a little greedy and simply passing it through businesses like SI. So, I don't think it is our favorite supplier that is creating some of these large jumps. However, most places will sell their inventory that they purchased at the lower price using a modest, cost of doing business, increase until that inventory is depleted.
I am simply stating an opinion and in no way am I blasting SI. I am a great fan of them and could not do without them. With that said, with an item that has jumped over 33%, I would be forced to try and locate it at a more reasonable cost. A case in point would be the exhaust tips where a similar item could be purchased locally at half the cost of a " made for original " one. Again, I think most of these increases are out of SI's control but I also need to watch my finances when something, I feel, is overpriced. I just use the exhaust tip for an example because that was to be my next purchase.
after all is said and done, I feel that SI is less expensive than most other vendors on items within their control and they try to maintain a reasonable profit margin. However, they cannot control the costs they have to pay to their suppliers.

JEWELL
08-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Ed has it, I need it, end of story.

Mark

pbrown
08-10-2014, 04:08 PM
... It's like the gas stations that buy gas at $3.00 a gallon and store it in these huge tanks and when the price goes up they sell it for the increased cost of $3.80 even though they paid a lot less...

I was thinking about that a while back. It annoyed me, until I realized that although when the going price elsewhere was $3.80, I expected them to sell me the gas (that they bought and stored at $3.00 a gallon) at $3.00 a gallon - But if they had to refill their big tanks at $3.80 and then the going price went to $3.00, that I expected them sell me that gas at $3.00 a gallon. too! Even though I try not to be a hypocrite, in that situation I wouldn't go back to them and gleefully pay the extra $.80 premium just because they were fair before.

Don't like it, but I don't know of any other way for it to work.Especially if you're planning on replacing your stock, you have to set current prices based on the cost of the replacements and what the market will bear.

BTW, I agree with your bitterness about the greed of big business... :)

Roscomacaw
08-10-2014, 05:51 PM
IF..... Studebaker had survived to today - and assuming they'd kept all their parts inventory from the past - would they be selling the stuff at early 60s prices???

Gunslinger
08-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Everything goes up as time goes on to keep up with the increased cost of living. The problem I have is when things take a huge jump such as 33% higher. That is much higher than an average cost increase for the cost of doing business. A 10% increase would seem a lot more reasonable.

I've no idea what profit margins SI or similar vendors operate on or need to operate on to stay profitable, but it's always possible they held the line on prices for too long and costs have increased to the point where they simply had to make a bigger than normal increase. I don't know if that's the case but I'm just throwing that out. I've been in business before and ran businesses for others in the past but one thing I found was pretty universal...businesses don't like to raise retail prices if they can avoid it. Yeah...some will do it but most would rather control costs before raising prices. Selling Studebaker parts isn't a huge enterprise...the vast majority of people don't buy Studebaker items. This is a very small market SI and others cater to and I doubt if any are out to rip anyone off. It's too easy to go out of business and intentionally ticking off your clientele is a fast way to failure in such a small world.

08-10-2014, 08:47 PM
It's just capitalism at work.. Buy low, sell high. Supply and demand.

And, thankfully, it works! I've never really begrudged profit to the vendors who do their best to keep us in parts. They take a risk and invest in inventory to get some things they run out of or have a lot calls for reproduced. I don't think many of us would have the stomach to order reproduction parts in the hundreds or thousands, and then sit on the balance we don't need. They pay to keep a roof over the parts they store and employees to care for and sell them. Without them, we'd all be searching for needles in haystacks. They also bring inventory and attend shows and meets so we can feel and touch what they sell, and they add to the atmosphere at events they attend. None of us should expect them to do this stuff for free. And, for the most part, I've found their asking prices to have remained reasonable.

I often refer to my time at a Chrysler dealer, when they absorbed AMC. Tax laws changed between 1963-6 and 1988. Chrysler was forced to destroy tons of parts to avoid tax penalties at the switch. I still remember our parts manager printing off a huge list of part numbers that were headed for the landfill after destruction, offering them to "us car guys" one last time before they permanently went NS1. Studebaker guys should be thankful the biggest part of our stash was preserved, and has been pretty much been continually available to us since the 1960's.

I redid a Corvair, and Clark's Corvair parts is really the only vendor outside the Studebaker vendor group that comes close to total dedication to a group of guys, reasonable pricing, and effort to reproduce needed stuff. Try finding parts for a B Body Mopar (Year One, hang on to your wallet!). No where near the variety and availability we enjoy.

Venture outside the Studebaker world and do some pricing. Sometimes we all need a reminder of how lucky we are.

njonkman
08-10-2014, 09:20 PM
One thing nobody has touched on is interest paid on inventory no mater how old has to be added on each year. And when not done each year will add up real quick over a few years. I know from experience. I sold woodworking supplies and reproduction antique hardware for many years and and didn't change prices for more than ten years. It comes back to nip you in the tail.
Nick

Bo Markham
08-10-2014, 10:15 PM
PERSPECTIVE FROM A VENDOR.

The cost to buy, transport, store, inventory, and in some cases clean and preserve these parts has become unreasonably expensive. These costs and even the cost to put up a building to store this stuff is something quit beyond our control. Combine this with the fact that supplies of most of this stuff is dwindling rapidly, as are the vendors stocking the stuff and you have a bleak picture that isn't likely to get any better.

I, myself, was surprised the other day when I looked at some of latest prices for certain NOS sheet metal items. $1,120.00 for an NOS 57-61 Hawk hood, $1,500.00 for a front C/K fender, $350.00-$400.00 for a Lark front fender and so forth. But, then I realized that it was 2014 and 48 years have come and pasted since these parts were last produced.

Sad, very sad.

Sdude
08-10-2014, 10:39 PM
I'm glad the majority of the comments here have been positive towards Ed Reynolds. Where would we be without his dedication to Studebakers. I do not begrudge him charging what he feels he needs to to stay in business. It wasn't that long ago that we were in fear of losing all those SASCO parts until Ed stepped up to the plate. Good for you, Ed, may you keep SI in business for decades.

showbizkid
08-11-2014, 12:13 AM
Try and buy an NOS fender for a '67 GTO... they ain't none. Reproductions? Sure, but they're expensive too, since they're low-volume parts produced in moderate quantities. Or, try and get sheet metal for a '62 Chrysler New Yorker. None. No way, no how.

Sure, I hate to see prices go up, but at least we can get what we need, which is more than proponents of other marques can say (think: Hudson, K-F, De Soto, even Mercury). I'm thankful for that.

BobPalma
08-11-2014, 05:35 AM
:) This certainly has been an interesting thread; over 1,000 views in less than 48 hours! :ohmy: I, too, have been happy to see the remarks generally positive toward Studebaker parts vendors overall, and Ed's enterprise in particular.

There was an astonishing amount of material to be moved again when Ed acquired the SASCO remains and, quite frankly, there didn't appear to be anyone else on the horizon with anywhere near the inclination or ability to do so....and those of us who remember the $9.95 V8 Chrome Dress-up Kits at the old Studebaker Salvage are, shall we say, being rotated off the planet such that newer, younger Studebaker enthusiasts are not encumbered with such -ahem- "reflections." (Get it? Chrome? Reflections? :yeahright: Oh, well...)

Keep up the good work, Ed. :D BP

candbstudebakers
08-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Good subject, it is about time "some" people hear a little about doing and staying in business. the old car parts business is a hard one and for those that choose to be in it my hat goes off to them, I have been dealing in Studebaker parts since 1993 most are used parts and have over the years collected most of what ever came my way just so they would be there down the road (like now) but some people think we that do this should save them forever no mater what it cost to do it, just because I have old used parts some think I should just give them what they need when they want it or for damn near nothing in most cases I do sell small parts cheap if I have them but larger items that are harder to store and handle will cost a little more but always a lot cheaper than any nos parts, Keep in mind when they are gone they are gone for ever. Studebaker's West is a large vender here in my area and they have more items than one can see on the surface but they also have a very large building and overhead to maintain so the prices have to reflect that, in the past I have had people come by to get something and if I didn't have it I would tell them to check with Studebaker's West in Redwood City that I was sure they have what you want, their reaction was I know they have it but their prices are so high that's why I came to you. My answer is always don't compare my prices with them or any large vender with that kind of over head and if we don't buy form them now and then and in more case now what is going to happen if they can't make it in business because not enough people use them? once one of them go out of business they will not be back and then what? where are we going to go? remember these parts on a whole are not reproduced and never will so get what you need now and enjoy the "hobby" that what is for us but not the case for the larger venders, it is called a business and it cost money (big money) to be in business large or small. my small used parts collection is coming to an end soon as I can no longer stand the high price of rent just so the parts will be here later for others, been there done that....Good subject and thanks Ed, Carl, Hermon,Dick, Chuck,Dave,Don, Will,Jim,Milt,Barry, Bo,Ted,Ted, and I know I am missing some here but thanks for your part in keeping this going.

Buzzard
08-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Ed has saved my a** on a bunch of parts for my '57 Clipper Wagon. I thought his prices were very reasonable considering the scarcity of the parts.
Bill

Gunslinger
08-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Amongst NOS parts that get priced according to market conditions...cost of storage, inventory taxes, taxes of all kinds...there also the cost of rebuilding parts for resale. The skills involved don't always come inexpensively plus the cost of tooling to rebuild automotive parts. Even if the rebuilding of items like brake boosters, alternators, starters, etc., are sent to shops that specialize in those repairs, they have to be paid their rate before parts can be re-inventoried the and pay an employee to do so. I doubt if the hourly rate of a specialty rebuilder is the same as in the 1960's.

There's also the costs of reproducing parts...the initial expense for the tooling cannot be cheap. The fuel costs alone of going to swap meets and charging no extra for the parts has to be a big expense plus the added cost of staying either in a local motel or a travel trailer or motorhome.

Considering the size of the market and costs of doing business (and staying profitable enough to stay in business), it's kind of amazing that many prices are as cheap as they are. You want to see how expensive it can get, check out some Mopar or Corvette catalog sites as well as others. And they have a much larger market to service and much larger runs of reproduction and rebuilt parts.

davette59
08-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Let's not just give a green light to all those other sellers out there that are not as honest as SI and happen to have a part that isn't available elsewhere. We still need to watch the Ebay sellers etc. and keep them honest. I recently priced a strap for my gas tank from a vendor that wanted $70 for a used one probably thinking that I couldn't get one elsewhere. Thought he had me over a barrel. I found a brand new one from one of our usual vendors and they charged me $22. They could have charged me more but were satisfied with an honest mark-up. Truthfully, I didn't know what they were going for and they could have just as easily charged me three times as much and I would have paid it. I find that all of the vendors that we deal with on a daily basis are extremely honest and are in it to make a reasonable profit not a get rich quick affair. I believe we all deal with the same six or so vendors and they are all consistently about the same price. I recently ordered a rubber seal/gasket set from SI and thought I was accidentally shorted some pieces. They sent me the items I called about at no charge. I later found that the body man had put them away and didn't remember having them. I sent the extras back to SI with and apology and insisted I pay for the shipping they had spent.
So, thank goodness for the great suppliers we deal with but there are still always some bad apples out there and we need to keep honest. I always start with the regulars first and 90% of the time they have what you need.
i NEVER buy anything without getting a price first. I got burned a few times and learned my lesson.
This thread should certainly convey to SI and our other top vendors how much we appreciate and need them.

Gunslinger
08-11-2014, 04:36 PM
The Studebaker universe is pretty small compared to some other marques. The number of vendors is somewhat small so a dishonest one tends not to stay in business for long...the word gets out quick. Mistakes get made by even the best, most honest vendors...it's best to give them a chance to make good before condemning them or telling everyone about it.

Deaf Mute
08-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Perhaps Ed gave Chris a raise.... thus the parts price increase.:lol:

8E45E
08-11-2014, 06:28 PM
The cost of goods might not change, but the lease on the building, utilities, and business taxes keep increasing, and all these increases have to be factored in.

Craig

Flashback
08-11-2014, 06:47 PM
If one has ever been in business for themselves, I think they can understand this cost increase. Also certain items are getting scarce (low inventory) and this demands more bucks. There has been a lot said and a lot said more than once. Just how much can we say on this.

stratovue
08-12-2014, 12:15 PM
First of all thanks to all who have made very positive comments about this business. I know that with prices going up all around us that it becomes a bit overwhelming. Actually our prices have gone up very little over the years. Let me assure you that I donít arbitrarily raise prices because they havenít gone up for a long time and I understand that keeping parts affordable will help to keep us in business. Prices usually go up when our cost goes up although, when I can, I absorb the increase until a new catalog is published. Our cost for the carpet sets has risen over the years and my choice was to discontinue carrying them or to raise the price. When I had the Avanti exhaust tips made many years ago I got a very good deal on them and was able to pass it along. When I recently had another batch made the deal wasnít so good and I had to pass the difference along.

Our new catalog is at the printer and will be mailed soon. Even with some price changes over 90% of our prices are unchanged and a few items have decreased in cost. Approximately 1,350 new items have been added to this catalog plus a new hardware section containing about 1,260 additional parts.

Ed Reynolds

Green53
08-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Well said Ed. I know what it takes to keep a business successful. Price adjustments are necessary.

Denny L

DEEPNHOCK
08-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Just how old is your SI catalog?:confused::whome:

I wish we had some fore warning of the price increase, we could have ordered while the cost was less. I guess what I don't understand is that many of these items are the same ones that were bought by SI years before and their cost on these items already in stock should not have increased that much. I do understand that overhead and cost of doing business goes up somewhat but not 30% or more. It's like the gas stations that buy gas at $3.00 a gallon and store it in these huge tanks and when the price goes up they sell it for the increased cost of $3.80 even though they paid a lot less.
I do, however, love SI and they have always treated me very well. I guess I'm just bitter about the greed of big business such as selling the same old product, using a much smaller container selling it for the same price, while putting the " new and improved" label on it.
Oh Well! Fun to just rant once in a while. I guess I'll probably get blasted for speaking my mind but that's OK.

jclary
08-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks for chiming in Ed. In its totality, the discussions and opinions, on this thread (in my opinion), reflect the current state of education (and understanding) of business of the public at large. It is not as simple as purchase price vs sell price. Failing to recognize and maintain margins is a sure path to bankruptcy. I just hope that if I live long enough to deplete my stash, you are still around. Keep up the good work and best wishes for your continued success.

Xcalibur
08-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Welcome to REALITY.

63t-cab
08-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Ok,but now put Yourself in Ed's shoes ;).

Just how old is your SI catalog?:confused::whome:

davette59
08-12-2014, 06:24 PM
My SI catalog is he latest edition! The new pricing is only reflected in the on-line store right now. I am anxiously awaiting the new catalog because it is supposed to include many new parts that were not available before. I wonder if the Avanti rear quarter window seals will ever become available? If you can find one you will be extremely lucky and will more than likely pay dearly for it. It seems there are some available for only one side (I think the right side) but the other isn't available at all. I was lucky to find a pair of 50 year old NOS and I think they were probably the last in the country.

Chris_Dresbach
08-12-2014, 07:03 PM
I'll back up Ed's statement that some prices actually did go down. Last week I was working in the showroom updating the prices.

As far as some prices rising, look at it this way and I think Ed and the rest of the SI staff will agree: for some of us that work at SI Studebakers are not only our hobby but also our livelihood. Ed and I both have cars, but we're also human and have to keep food on the table. If prices don't stay current we don't have jobs.

BobPalma
08-12-2014, 07:12 PM
As far as some prices rising, look at it this way and I think Ed and the rest of the SI staff will agree: for some of us that work at SI Studebakers are not only our hobby but also our livelihood. Ed and I both have cars, but we're also human and have to keep food on the table. If prices don't stay current we don't have jobs.

:eek: WHAT? :D BP

52 Ragtop
08-12-2014, 08:53 PM
We STILL need to thank Ed for saving the parts in South Bend 4 years ago! IF Ed had NOT stepped up, ALL of those parts would probably be new Kia's or Toyota's!
Ed also steps up and reproduces a lot of parts, and as a previous post stated, the tooling cost are not cheap! They are not! and it will take a lot of sales just to break even.
Just as an example, when I had the braided flex oil lines done, the small fitting to the gauge is one that I had to have made up. Minimum order was 500, which I had to pay for up front, I still have over half of them that are not used. But, I know that they will eventually get used up. Chances are, I will not have another 500 made.
That was my choice to do them, and I knew (know) that it will take some time to get to the break even point. that's ONE part, take into consideration that Ed does a LOT more than one part at a time.

Just some reality checks.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate Ed.

Jim