Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: how to find original paint colors

My 1958 Packard Hawk's serial # is:
    58LS 1341 and am posting if anyone knows how to source original color. Total run only 588. Thanks....just new member today

Collin,
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM !!
    Is that the Serial # from the "A" pillar or the body tag from the firewall? You can find the original color on the build sheet, available from the Studebaker National Museum. Supply them with your Serial No. and some cash.

Dive into the history of your vehicle with a Studebaker production order. Learn more about your vehicle's original configuration so that your restoration projects proceeds in perfect order!

Matching the current paint would only be a matter of having your paint jobber scan a clean hidden surface, like the interior of the glove box door.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Collin Knight View Post
      My 1958 Packard Hawk's serial # is:
      58LS 1341 and am posting if anyone knows how to source original color. Total run only 588. Thanks....just new member today
      Did your car belong to Peter B from Langdon at one time? You got a nice piece if its the same car.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        Collin,
        WELCOME TO THE FORUM !!
        Is that the Serial # from the "A" pillar or the body tag from the firewall? You can find the original color on the build sheet, available from the Studebaker National Museum. Supply them with your Serial No. and some cash.

Dive into the history of your vehicle with a Studebaker production order. Learn more about your vehicle's original configuration so that your restoration projects proceeds in perfect order!

Welcome!

That does appear to be the Serial Number for a Packard Hawk (starts with 58LS-1001) (58% through the production run), not the Body Number (starts with 58L-K9).

Other than the build sheet from the SNM, check for the paint code label affixed to the exterior bottom of the glove box.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes Craig...it was from Peter in Langdon and he imported from an enthusiast museum collector in Ohio. I recently spent $5000 on the McCullough Supercharger and carburetion system plus current Alberta Vehicle Registration Inspection (Peter never registered) another $4000 for things like putting new tires on new tires just cause they crack with age (the old style tire)...still 100% stock with the best car radio I've ever heard. My friend thinks it is tubes in the Packard Hawk 58 model. Maybe someone out there knows, thanks again for people's help on the original paint colors... Collin

Comment

The 58 Packard Hawk radio is a hybrid, with tubes in the signal section and a transistor output. It is standard Delco engineering/design of the day.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I hope you find your color code.

Here is a link with an outstanding paint cross reference

Click Here ==> Paint Cross Reference

Comment

Hi Collin and welcome to this wonderful forum!
                I had ordered a production order copy from Richard Quinn for my 57 Packard. Found out it was painted Inca Cream a rare spring yellow that never made most paint chip sheets of the day.
                Went to my local auto part store, a mom and pop place, not a chain, that offered DuPont paints.
                They have a gizmo that they scanned the inside of my gas fill door to come up with a formula to match my car.
                Came out nearly dead on! I was quite pleased with the color match.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                X