PDA

View Full Version : Steering Steering Column Seal is not being reproduced, any suggestions?

Geigs
08-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Hi,
I'm in search of a steering column seal that attaches to the firewall and wraps around the steering column. I've called several vendors and have been told the part is not available. It's for a 56H sedan with power steering and Flight O Matic. The current seal is ripped and torn with a piece missing, so any options or alternatives suggested would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

RadioRoy
08-07-2014, 05:54 PM
The best thing is to patch yours. The power steering seal for 53-56 is an interesting beast. Maybe a patch could be fashioned from a floor shifter boot.

bezhawk
08-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Home Depot roof vent flashing works great

Paul Keller
08-07-2014, 07:41 PM
You might try after-market steering column suppliers (like Flaming River) for a seal that they use that could also be adapted to your special car. Also, Speedway has a few listed. (not being a '56 owner, I am not familiar w/ your specific need).
Paul TK

drrotor
08-08-2014, 03:10 AM
I made one for my '64 Dahtona out of a truck rubber mud flap. It was big, flat, and tough as nails. Had to saw it into shape with a sharp razor knife. Looked almost factory when finished, though...

Mrs K Corbin
08-08-2014, 07:37 AM
+1 mud flap

Mike Van Veghten
08-08-2014, 08:34 AM
You can't make one from a different car work ?
It wasn't that long ago that I bought two for my 54 wagons from SI.
The steering and trans. don't matter, it's just a squarish piece with a hole in the center.

Mike

LugNut
08-08-2014, 08:44 AM
If you go the "Mud Flap" route, NAPA has A good one in stock, that's what I used for the 1/4" body shims. Cuts good with a hack saw or sabre saw.

RadioRoy
08-08-2014, 04:57 PM
You can't make one from a different car work ?
It wasn't that long ago that I bought two for my 54 wagons from SI.
The steering and trans. don't matter, it's just a squarish piece with a hole in the center.

Mike
On cars equipped with Saginaw power steering, the boot is very large and deep and extends into the passenger compartment. The shifter arms come up through the floor into the passenger compartment. The boot is not at all like the relatively flat ones in standard steering equipped cars.

That's why I suggested modifying a floor shifter boot. Maybe a CV joint boot would work.

Geigs
08-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. So far, parts have been so easy to find; I can't believe there is not one seal out there somewhere. The part number is 306908. Before I attempt to fabricate one, I'm going to take Paul's advice and look outside of Studebaker vendors. If I have to fabricate one, I'll be sure to post a picture of it. No matter how bad it looks, I expect you all to pretend that I did a good job.

Geigs
08-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Hi all, what do you think of using something like this: http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/automotive-restoration/dynapad/
Seems pretty straight forward.

hausdok
08-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Steven,

Can you take a picture of the damaged seal with a couple of one-foot rulers alongside two sides to show the length and width of the seal and what it looks like?

hausdok
08-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Does anything here look promising?

http://www.oatey.com/products/flashings/roof-flashings

Bob Andrews
08-11-2014, 08:00 PM
As I mentioned in another thread yesterday, Jim Lawrence was making them for larks. I got some from him. I don't have his information with me, but he is a well-known interior guy. I would guess they all might be the same from 53 up.

Geigs
08-11-2014, 08:17 PM
I will contact Jim and take some pictures of the seal. Roof flashings and mud flaps. Fantastic! BTW, just updated my photo album to include the write up on this car from the 1989 issue of Turning Wheels, if anyone is interested.

Geigs
09-13-2014, 10:58 AM
37689Hi all, to close the loop, I went with Dynamat and tape. The seal was torn, not rotted, so most of it was retained. Thanks for all the feedback.

mmagic
09-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Didn't even consider buying one when SI book said $75. Instead cut a piece of 20 gauge steel, cut the hole, painted, inserted column, then screwed new plate to the fire wall. Sealed it up with Locktite PLS30 Roof Seal. When there is no flex between steering gear, body and column the only reason for rubber is to simplify alignment for factory assembly. Covered it with Dynamatt.

bhapner
09-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Just another approach. I used a truck inner tube . Cut a piece a bit larger than the opening, cut a hole for the column, slit the seal from the bottom up and over lapped it enough to staple it together. Probably could have glued it but didn't think of it at the time.
Worked good and sealed tightly against the column.