Hurst Shifter for Avanti questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurst Shifter for Avanti questions

I have read that the Hawk uses a Hurst 391-5403 shifter with a 373-4734 kit. And that this combination maybe used for an Avanti also. (though I have read that the 3-4 rod in the linkage kit may not be correct).

That being the case, which shift handle will exit through the stock area of the console correctly?

If I use a Hurst shift handle, then I would need to have a different boot or have a stock handle welded to the Hurst base to preserve the factory boot.

========================
    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
    Martinez, CA

Part #'s for the Hawk "Competition Plus" shifter are still listed on the Hurst site: http://www.hurst-shifters.com/ . They recommend shifter 391 7308, and installation kit 373 4734. That installation kit contains short shift rods to mount the shifter in the front mounting holes on the T-10 tailshaft housing.
    Hurst introduced a shifter specificly for Avanti's, in 1969. It's no longer available from Hurst. The whole package was #6898; which contained special shifter 6899, and installation kit 3157. That installation kit, (full # is 373 3157), contains long shift rods, and mounts the shifter in the rear holes on the tail shaft.
    Both installation kits are still available. They are also used on various Chevy's with the T-10 4spd. Summit has pictures of the kits on their site. The format for their part #'s is HUU-373xxxx for Hurst installation kits. They also sell individual rods and levers. Format is HUU-213xxxx. You can get the specific last four digits for each rod and lever from the Hurst site. See service parts. They are also stamped into the rods and levers.The rod Nate has a problem with is HUU-2132139, if it's the 3&4 rod for a forward mounted shifter. There is a picture of the rod at the Summit site. Last week, I bought the installation kit for rear mounting. The rods and levers in that one look right.
    I recently bought a used Avanti Hurst on EBay. I've taken it apart, to clean and grease it. I have pictures of the unique shift handle. It zig-zags to the rear and to the right; and has the # 6895 stamped into it. If someone will post them for me here, I can email them. I also can send the 1969 Hurst announcement of the Avanti kit.
    I found useful cut away and parts drawings of the "Competition Plus" 4spd shifter, and a four page explanation of how it works, at the US Patent Office Site. It's patent # 3,216,274.
    The Hurst Avanti shifter comes up through the existing hole in the console; but the hole has to be enlarged some for clearance. The small Hurst boots 114-8429 or 4580 fit neatly.
    An alternative to the special Avanti Hurst is available from Dave Thibeault. I understand it's a new "Competition Plus" with the stock Stude handle welded to it.
    Mike M.

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the information. I think that I also bid on the Avanti shifter that you won! (Sorry).

I spoke with the folks at Mr. Gasket. They told me that alot of those early shifters are exactly the same, except for the linkage/shift rods.

The stock 4-speed Avanti shifter mounts to the rear holes, so the 373-3157 kit is right for installation for the rear holes,as that is what is listed in the write-up that accompanied the original Hurst - that you have. The shifter itself can be a 391-5403, though I don't believe it is the one that came with the original kit. A 391-5403 with a 538-7236 stick is what makes a 391-7308.

I managed to download the flyer from somewhere and got the part number for the installation kit - but it didn't show detailed pictures like you have.

========================
      Martinez, CA

Comment

You really should order the Hurst Avanti shifter from T-Bow, the handle looks stock and comes up in the right place. Nice, custom work.

JDP/Maryland
        64 R2 GT cost to date
        $60,222.25
        63 GT Hawk
        63 Lark 2 door
        59 Scotsman
        54 Starlight
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

OK, I'll check with him.

========================
          Martinez, CA

Comment

A Hurst shift handle that comes straight up from the shifter assembly will be about 2 1/4" to the left, and 2 1/4" forward of the stock location. That's at the left edge of the flat area on top of the console. When you add room for movement, it will be necessary to cut away the side of the console.
            Here are pictures of the old, welded shifter handle Hurst made for the Avanti. It comes up where the stock one does.

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/c...iHurstLeft.jpg .

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/c...HurstFront.jpg .

Here's the flier that announced the shifter in 1969.

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/c...ent=8abb_1.jpg .

Mike M.

Comment

Have one in my Avanti........looks beautiful!

quote:Originally posted by JDP

You really should order the Hurst Avanti shifter from T-Bow, the handle looks stock and comes up in the right place. Nice, custom work.

JDP/Maryland
              64 R2 GT cost to date
              $60,222.25
              63 GT Hawk
              63 Lark 2 door
              59 Scotsman
              54 Starlight
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

Comment

I have been in contact with Dave. I will also have one soon.

========================
                Martinez, CA

Comment

After driving the car for some months, I found that I had to shorten the rods, shifting was just a pain in the arz......candidly, the car does not shift as well as the four speed brand X's I have had....GTO, Galaxie 500 XL, and Corvair Spider......but I have learned just how to 'massage the shifter and clutch'....and as it is a summer ride I live with it.......the factory shifter as new was a JOKE!

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

I have been in contact with Dave. I will also have one soon.

========================
                  Martinez, CA

Comment

Working...
                  X