Supercharger Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger Question

I am curious to know if Paxton Superchargers are still available? If I read the information about the Avanti R cars correctly, the R1 car was not supercharged, The R2 and R3 cars were supercharged and the R4 was not although the R3 and R4 had bigger motors 304.5 vs. 289.

Since I have a 64 Daytona with a 289 (with .0030 over-bore and a Ted Harbit R2 cam), could I still add a supercharger if I could find one? What might something like that cost?
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

On your model Studebaker, the original factory parts needed to mount a Paxton supercharger onto the engine are much harder to find than the supercharger itself. (I believe some of the items have been reproduced though) Paxton 'ball drive' superchargers are no longer made...but there are many used units still floating around...(many rebuilts too) Beware of a Paxton supercharger that feels like you're backing off on a ratchet wrench when the input shaft is turned....that 'feel' indicates the unit is 'burnt out'. Rebuild kits are available from 'Paradise Wheels', among others....a job probably best left to an expert.

Comment

David,

Obtaining a R2 Lark/Hawk waterpump manifold will be the hardest part where costs could range in the $450-600 range if you could find one and get someone to sell it to you, rebuilt Supercharger $1400, R2 Dampner $150, R1/R2 Fan $150, associated pulleys $350, Supercharger Idler Arm $150, Superecharger Bracket $150, R2 Lark Air Canister $250-600 (depending of condition), R2 Carburetor $450-1200, R2 Air horn $150, Chrome valve covers $300, R1/R1 oilpan c/w breather tube $300, Hoses and misc odds and ends $100

My numbers are just thrown out there for you to give you an idea, so could easily spend $4000 to get a supercharger set-up by peicemealing it together over a period of time.

Good luck.

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I think to make it work right, you would also need the 1557580 low compression truck heads, as used to build R2s from the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
          I think to make it work right, you would also need the 1557580 low compression truck heads, as used to build R2s from the factory.
          Maybe not....David's standard 289 engine would have less than an Avanti R2's 9-1 compression already...( dished pistons)...so I'd guess that the heads on the engine presently would be fine.

Comment

If you are just looking to supercharge it and not interested in originality, then a later gear drive blower like the Novi would be a better choice. They last much longer and can put out more boost. It would be about the same getting brackets made as trying to find originals .
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-032S.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1691652 a early unit don't look to bad more of them around

Comment

True, if you wanted an early type like the Golden Hawk mounts. Those are much easier to find. In fact I have a couple of them. SI reproduces the mount too. It would take a water manifold from 60(?) or earlier, with the four bolt thermostat.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Isn't the 4 bolt manifold thermostat housing a bit restricted on water flow?
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                    Isn't the 4 bolt manifold thermostat housing a bit restricted on water flow?
                    Never heard this question asked before......but I'd suspect that the '4 bolt' would flow coolant as good as the '2 bolt' does.

Comment

I have done this exact conversion to my '64 Daytona and have just now finished it. PM me if you want to call me and talk it over.
                      1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                      1951 Champion Business Coupe
                      1951 Commander Starlight
                      1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                      1953 Champion Starlight
                      1953 Commander Starliner
                      1953 2R5
                      1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                      1957 Silver Hawk
                      1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                      1959 Silver Hawk
                      1961 Hawk
                      1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                      1963 Daytona Convertible
                      1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                      1965 Cruiser
                      1970 Avanti

Comment

The supercharger in the above post on e-bay is an early supercharger, as is the air cleaner. going S/C isnt cheap for a 63-4, but well worth the effort. Can't beat the cool look.
                        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Check Paradise Wheels site. They rebuild/build Paxtons.
                          Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
                          ______

'51 Muntz Jet
                          '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
                          '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
                          '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
                          '56 Corvette SR replica

Comment

Working...
                          X