Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil filter in Chebby Baker (not 283 McKinnon?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil filter in Chebby Baker (not 283 McKinnon?)

Got around to thinking about changing oil in my '65 Cruiser and looked up filter in several popular stores and they all come up with Fram CH200PL or WIX 51143, both cartridge types which bolt onto right side of engine, accessible from top of engine. Since I did not see this cartridge container in that place, I looked under the car, and lo and behold, the spin-on cartridge was mounted on the left rear of the engine. It was a Fram, but rotated so I could not read the number. Which made me wonder: What kind of Chebby engine was in my Cruiser? And what is the proper number for the filter? It would be a lot more simple to know this before loosening and removing the filter, which always is somewhat messy. And what kind of oil would YOU use? (I know, this might lead to a lot more comments.) Photo attached. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

It has probably been converted to a spin on filter somewhere along the line. Or it may have a later block. All Studebaker installed 283 engines had the cartridge type filter on the drivers side. Only original looking thing I see on the engine is the exhaust manifolds.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

IIRC 68 was the first year across the board on SBC. Look at the front passenger side of the block just below the head. If it hasn't been decked there should be a set of numbers stamped on a pad there. NastyZ28.com or other websites will let you decode to yr and mfg location.

Comment

Fram and others used to sell an adapter to convert the cartridge style to a spin-on. It was not too unusual to buy a '65 - '66 V-8 that had already been changed, and I changed a couple over myself.

Comment

Here you go.....
          Get a Fram p/n# K98ADP (filter adapter kit) to upgrade from a cannister oil filter on a McKinnon V8 to convert to a spin on oil filter.
          Then.....
          Get a Fram PH373 "Long" spin on oil filter... (Holds extra oil)

Click image for larger version

Name:	K98ADP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1691643 Click image for larger version

Name:	PH373 Fram Oil Filter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1691644
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Here you go.....
            Get a Fram p/n# K98ADP (filter adapter kit) to upgrade from a cannister oil filter on a McKinnon V8 to convert to a spin on oil filter.
            Then.....
            Get a Fram PH373 "Long" spin on oil filter... (Holds extra oil)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36823[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]36824[/ATTACH]
            Thanks Jeff, good advice! My initial post was WRONG, I had looked at a photo from Google Images taken from UNDER the engine which made it look like the cassette filter was on the right, at least on the right side of a very dirty engine, assuming I was looking at the top of the engine. Come to think about it I have changed the spin-on filter in the past, probably last year, and it was a standard-size Fram filter, which I discovered when I crawled under the car just now.
            sigpic
            Jack, in Montana

Comment

Wix 51069 or napa 1069 for short filter
              Randy Wilkin
              1946 M5 Streetrod
              Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

On the Lt rear of the block there is a raised casting number next to the bell houshing. This number will also tell you if it's a 283,327,350 or what.

Comment

Moron filters

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
                  Wix 51069 or napa 1069 for short filter
                  Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                  On the Lt rear of the block there is a raised casting number next to the bell houshing. This number will also tell you if it's a 283,327,350 or what.
                  Thanks ebberybody, that saves me a bunch of looking up. I think Fram PH11 or PH10575 would also work. I have Pennzoil equivalent (PZ-18A) of a WIX 51372 as an added partial flow add-on on my Sky Hawk. Do any of you all know the taller WIX equivalent? I have been told WIX is a better filter than Fram, at least their "gold" series. While on the subject (photos of rusty engine), do you know where I could get a NOS or good used throtal link to replace the copper wire. Yes, I know the air filter can should be black, but at the time I was "taken" by the gold color from the Speedster.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by jnfweber; 08-06-2014, 02:21 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Jack, in Montana

Comment

Copper would not be my choice if I was going to jury rig linkage. Somebody was lucky the linkage didn't fail at a critical moment. The proper piece shouldn't be too had to find.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I refuse to use half of an Oil filter and it's Oil capacity, when a Whole one is available.

The GM 283 with spin-on conversion "should take" a Full Size NAPA Pro Select # 21069 or NAPA "Gold" (WIX) equivalent FIL 1069 for a '65 Chevelle 283.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wix is not a better filter than Fram.

Originally posted by jnfweber View Post
                        Thanks ebberybody, that saves me a bunch of looking up. I think Fram PH11 or PH10575 would also work. I have Pennzoil equivalent (PZ-18A) of a WIX 51372 as an added partial flow add-on on my Sky Hawk. Do any of you all know the taller WIX equivalent? I have been told WIX is a better filter than Fram, at least their "gold" series. While on the subject (photos of rusty engine), do you know where I could get a NOS or good used throtal link to replace the copper wire. Yes, I know the air filter can should be black, but at the time I was "taken" by the gold color from the Speedster.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          I refuse to use half of an Oil filter and it's Oil capacity, when a Whole one is available.

The GM 283 with spin-on conversion "should take" a Full Size NAPA Pro Select # 21069 or NAPA "Gold" (WIX) equivalent FIL 1069 for a '65 Chevelle 283.
                          Yeah, I agree. That is why I added the post. Thanks.
                          sigpic
                          Jack, in Montana

Comment

Let's be clear and accurate about this.
                            The three lengths of filters for a GM V8 engine are determined by the engine/vehicle manufacturer for that specific application.
                            It's not a cost cutting, or corner cutting decision.
                            It may well be a space, or packaging, decision.
                            And there may well be a filtration media difference between the three lengths of filters.
                            Meaning the filtration capabilities should all be equal between the three (or more) length of filters.
                            So, it the only difference is the oil capacity of the filter, then I would opt for the added capacity just to help with heat exchange, and with extending the service interval by slowing the contamination rate (due to more lubricant there to contaminate).

And... All of the filter manufacturers build good products.
                            Brand preference is almost always a marketing function, and rarely is it a performance function.
                            If a company (Fram Group) that builds 2.75 million filters a week made bad filters, they wouldn't be in business very long.
                            As a side note... Wix (parent company Affinia) is up for sale right now...so if you want to get into the filter biz.......

Originally Posted by StudeRich

Yeah, I agree. That is why I added the post. Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

the 51069 Wix is a short filter ,
                              Randy Wilkin
                              1946 M5 Streetrod
                              Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Working...
                              X