Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some local coverage of the Avanti Airlift Tribute...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some local coverage of the Avanti Airlift Tribute...

When I opened my local newspaper this morning, there was a photograph of the June 28 airlift event! The story was about the Hagerstown Aviation Museum and they printed the photo of the Avantis with the C-82. There was no mention of the event in the story...just the photo. I don't know where they got the photo from as there it was uncredited. I do plan on writing a letter to the newspaper to explain the connection between the Avanti and the C-82...hopefully that will be printed.

For those interested in reading the article, here's the link http://fredericknewspost.md.newsmemory.com/?token=2627.. The story is on page E-1.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Still positive pub. Interesting you can access the entire paper on line. Our local fish wrapper wants you to pay as much as a subscription for the pleasure. Bob

Comment

Bruce, I think they got the picture from one of the museum volunteers. They should have at least credited you and me for the display setting and choreography!! Wait until you see the full coverage and photos in the next issue of Avanti magazine! Thanks for all your help, Bruce!
      Attached Files
      Lew Schucart
      Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

'Way cool, Bruce; thanks. Congrats on that whole effort coming off so well. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Several years ago I had a conversation with an Avanti owner who said he saw the first Avantis unloading from the large airplane in LA unveiling. He said it was beyond spectacular.
          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Great event and tribute, wish in could have been there. Your efforts Bruce should be applauded many times over.
            Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
            Fort Worth, TX

Comment

For those arriving late (like me), you have to go back to the 8/3 Edition, and then follow Gunslinger's instructions. Quite a nice picture and story. Great effort guys.

Again, hats off to the Frederick News-Post and their unbelievable web edition. My impression is that it's a well run newspaper that enjoys a great relationship with the community and hearty support from it's advertisers. Very few local papers allow such access without registering as a subscriber or giving a credit card number today.

Comment

The News-Post does charge for full access. If you're a subscriber to the print edition then the digital subscription is included. I'm old school...I like to sit at the breakfast table and read a newspaper. The digital version is great for when I might be traveling but I normally don't use it.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Nice job Bruce!!
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
                    For those arriving late (like me), you have to go back to the 8/3 Edition, and then follow Gunslinger's instructions. Quite a nice picture and story. Great effort guys.

Again, hats off to the Frederick News-Post and their unbelievable web edition. My impression is that it's a well run newspaper that enjoys a great relationship with the community and hearty support from it's advertisers. Very few local papers allow such access without registering as a subscriber or giving a credit card number today.
                    The Frederick News-Post has won a number of awards for both the quality of their newspaper and the responsiveness of their business/subscription/delivery operation, and they seem to be proving that a local newspaper can still make money, despite the city's proximity to DC and Baltimore and their media markets. A few years ago they built a huge new building to house the gigantic printing presses required to support both the newspaper and their commercial printing business.

PS: Thanks for posting Bruce.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
                      Several years ago I had a conversation with an Avanti owner who said he saw the first Avantis unloading from the large airplane in LA unveiling. He said it was beyond spectacular.
                      At the Avanti Airlift Tribute we had the son of the last Studebaker dealer in Martinsburg (WV) in attendance. He not only saw the Avanti that was unloaded at Hagerstown (MD) in the original airlift, he drove it.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

If anyone wants a hard copy of the actual newspaper article itself, PM me. I have an extra copy.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

I wish we could have been there, but the logistics in getting everything in AND getting to Dover on time, did not permit the side trip. I am looking forward to my AVANTI magazine coverage.

Comment

The newspaper is going to print a letter I submitted providing the backstory of the Avanti with the C-82. Don't know what day it will be printed but that's their decision. My letter was a bit longer than they prefer but longer letters are printed on weekends. I guess it depends on whether it gets edited.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                              The newspaper is going to print a letter I submitted providing the backstory of the Avanti with the C-82. Don't know what day it will be printed but that's their decision. My letter was a bit longer than they prefer but longer letters are printed on weekends. I guess it depends on whether it gets edited.
                              Bruce, did they ever print your letter?
                              My wife's cousin sent me an interesting video about another Fairchild cargo plane, one of a kind, but sort of similar to the C-82. I don't know if it was shown in the Fairchild Museum or not.
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X