Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally coming out of hiding!

Hi Guys! Long time no see!

I've had a busy several months, and so while I've been lurking on the forums and reading threads, I really haven't taken the time to post anything of significance. Fortunately, we're getting back to the school year, and so the kids I work with are going back to school soon, leaving me with more time to devote to my passions.

So what have I been up to in the last few months? Here's a brief overview.

First I'll start with the non-Stude content, because I know how much we all enjoy that on the General Discussion forum . In January I decided to start living right, exercising and eating healthy foods. About 60 pounds into this journey I posted a bit in Stove Huggers about that. I'm very happy to say that I've stayed the course throughout the summer, and today I'm nearly 170 pounds lighter than I was when I started this journey in January! Because seeing is believing, here's a before and after shot I posted last month on my facebook page:

Click image for larger version

Name:	10498413_1457739804476844_5680836086834638585_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1744415

Okay, I lied a little. It is sort of Studebaker content, because losing this weight has allowed me to keep driving my car, and actually to drive it more often in fact. I still have about 90 pounds to go before I'm out of the "unhealthy" weight range, but I'll get there soon, I'm sure!

Onto actual Studebaker stuff. First off, we moved into a new home in November, complete with a two car garage. The same business that prevented me from posting here kept the garage from being much more than a storage are for months. But I really wanted to get it set up right, with a little Studebaker flair. I couldn't afford an authentic sign from a dealership, and I couldn't find many high resolution signs online, so I went back to my graphic design days and recreated the lazy S service sign:

Name:	AUTHORIZED STUDEBAKER SERVICE SIGN.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1744416

Not perfect, but considering I built it from scratch, not too terrible. (Note: If anyone has any high resolution versions of this or any other Studebaker signs, I'd love to get them, as I'd like to make a few more signs.)

I used the graphic above to make a nice 24" wide sign for my garage wall, as well as a smaller sign seen here:

Name:	dads garage.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1744417

Of course, while I was being creative, I put together a small tribute to my grandfather and his Studebaker, which were both equal partners in getting me excited about these beautiful orphans:

Name:	10511331_10203602759642310_6836219736740368931_n.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1744418

I put all of this together, combined it with some of my photography and my existing wall art, and I think I now have a fairly good looking garage in the making:

Name:	10344761_10203621720436318_4094058833004743559_n.jpg
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1744419 Click image for larger version

Name:	10343521_10203621720676324_1414220312896658454_n.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1744420

...At least once I sort out my workbench. Also, if you're wondering, the large lateral file cabinet houses my tech manuals, some odds and ends parts, and an almost complete collection of Turning Wheels.

Lastly, as proof that my silence here has not equated to being withdrawn from the Studebaker addiction, um, habit, I present the evidence: it's rubbing off on my son!

Name:	10570473_10203605383227898_1126657852921050008_n.jpg
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	1744421

While I was setting up the garage, he started silently grabbing tools and wandering outside. Eventually I followed him out there and found him "fixing" the Lark. He definitely has all the signs of a Stude addict in the making. He's recently caught on that you can't drive until you're 16. As a result, every time he rides with me now he makes a point of reminding me that when he is 16, he's going to drive my Studebaker. But that's not all. Tonight, for the very first time in his life, my son typed out a complete sentence on the computer. I had nothing to do with this: he asked my wife to help him, he wrote this, and she printed it off. Here it is:

Name:	10572101_10154423847710524_4595301093421424949_o.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1744422

Of course you can understand that, but just in case, it translated to "Luke drives a red and yellow Studebaker", which are the colors of the Studebaker he wants to own someday. Oh yes, and he still loves his Avanti bed I built him a while back, too!

All in all, it's been busy the last few months, but it's good to see a light at the end of the tunnel. There's still a few weeks before the kids all return to school, so I probably won't be back to my full force posting of several posts a day for a while. At the same time, I've missed you guys (and gals!), so I'm more than ready to dive back in as much as I can.

Talk to you all again soon!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Cute Boy, I am sure he is well on his way to becoming a serious Stude. NUT!

Congrats on improving your shape, that is an AMAZING change for the better!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Excellent work on the weight loss program Jim.

Comment

'Good to see you back, Jim, and congrats indeed on the WL program; great! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome back Jim!
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

CONGRADULATIONS !!!!!!! Amazing accomplishment. Welcome back. I have been slow here for a while myself. I am about to embark on a 40# weight loss program myself. I know it's tough.. Keep the young'un interested. I have a 4 year old Grandson and he loves the Studebaker. I love his company. Good luck .

Comment

Jim: Fantastic accomplishment on the weight loss. You put me to shame in my efforts making it obvious that I'm just not trying hard enough.
              Mighty lucky to have such a nice young man to help you with your Studebaker.
              Great job on the garage and signs as well. Keep up the good work and keep posting!
              Nick

Comment

Real neat stuff. Welcome back.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Like the white board in the garage. Great idea. Appreciate the inspiration.
                  1956 Studebaker President Classic

Member of the Studebaker Drivers Club

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

http://instagram.com/theorphanpresident/

www.saturdaythe14th.wordpress.com (Blog)

Comment

Welcome back to the Studebaker world Jim

Denny L

Comment

Well done, Watching the little guy grow up and being involved will make the effort all worthwhile. Bob

Comment

Great news! And welcome back. Look forward to seeing your future progress both health wise and with Studebakers for the youngster.

Pat
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I thought the first two pictures were of you and two of your sons.

Great work losing weight and thinking/being healthy. You will live much longer and love your family much longer.

Keep up the good work!
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Good to see you back. Keep posting.
                            sigpic
                            55 President Deluxe
                            64 Commander
                            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Absolutely amazing sticktoitiveness! With your weight loss initiatives, I am sure quality of life has improved drastically. Also, hopefully you have extended your Studebakering time on this planet by at least a couple of decades.

Congrats, and welcome back

Comment

Working...
                              X