You can be lucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: You can be lucky

I have a '62 Lark 289 3 speed. Came with a roughly installed 27 rear axle with blown spider gears. I have obtained a dana 44 std rear axle but it was missing brakes and hubs.

Over some time I have cleaned it up and repainted it as well as the brake parts from the 27. There was even dried mud in the axle tubes. Spring bushes have been replaced. I found that the easiest way to press the rear top bushes into the chassis was to use a porta power. You have to be inventive when working by yourself.

I cleaned up the adjusting shims from the 27 ( 0.005, 0.010, 0.025 and 0.050" and had been fitted to both sides) today and fitted up the backplates etc. I did a rough measurment and fitted up the pack minus the 0.025. Set up the dial gauge and axle endplay measured out at 0.0035". Manual states 0.001-0.006. I had been dreading this job; but now can't understand why. Maybe just the great unknown for 1st time.

Ken

It's always less scary once you get into it. I am always amazed when I finally get over fretting and get down to it, how much more easily it goes than I had imagined.

Keep up the good work.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Exactly. Lack of knowledge breeds paranoia. I know a lot more about my car since I've just tore into it.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

It always comforts me to think of all the people I have known who managed engine swaps and various repairs with crude tools and no help. I know if they could do this stuff I certainly can. The hardest part is getting started.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
        X