Hot August Nights spotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot August Nights spotting

Went down last night for a little roaming around. Saw a red 62 Lark convertible with a California Black on Yellow license plate and a red 62 GT R3 from Washington with a green and white plate. Also the local light blue 51 sedan.

2 cars that caught my attention so far, a black Hudson Hornet convertible driven here from Georgia. Very nice car. Also a sweet looking 57 El Camino. The shop combined a 57 4 door Bel Air and a 57 Nomad wagon. Very well done job. The owner liked my wagon and Larks, talked about his favorite Stude, a coral Lark convertible with a 289.

Leo

That is an event I would like to do some time. It sounds like loads of fun. And speaking of Hudson Hornets, a beautiful '52 showed up at our local Cruise-in this past Sunday. Those are great cars. It had the Twin H carbs and red air cleaners on a flat head engine. And I would hate to have to pay to re-chrome that baby. I'd have to mortgage the house.
    Did you get any pictures?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

You know, I don't remember thinking about the chrome on this one, certainly not compared to the 59-61 Chevy, Buick and Pontiacs. He had the interior redone with a red snakeskin and red leather trim. It was a subtle print and looked fun in the convertible.

Those twin H carbs and intake manifold were sweet looking. He had an inline fuel filter in addition to the little one in front of each carb. The little globe on them was maybe 1/2" or 3/4" big!
      I'll try to get some pics. Last night was just rolling and looking. I wasn't sure about the weather, and left the photo device at home.

Comment

Here ya go Eddie. Click image for larger version

Name:	Hudson carbs.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1691578Click image for larger version

Name:	Hudson engine.JPG
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1691579Click image for larger version

Name:	Hudson front (2).JPG
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1691580Click image for larger version

Name:	Hudson side.JPG
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1691581Click image for larger version

Name:	Hudson rear.JPG
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1691582
        And obligatory STP content for the thread...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Pack coupe.JPG
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1691583Click image for larger version

Name:	53.JPG
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1691584Click image for larger version

Name:	53 rear.JPG
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1691585

Comment

'Pretty cool Hornet convertible.

It is a 1951 model year Hornet because the Hornet Rocket on the front fender is behind the front wheel, rather than above it. On later Hornets, the rocket (1952 and 1953) and script (1954) is above the front wheel. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I never paid attention to the front fender, I did notice the trunk and the logo back there. It is a pretty car, but I still remember looking at the sedans when I was younger and thought they were a mean looking cool car. The way most feel about the 49 Mercs, I always thought the Hudson Sedans were even moreso. One of my moneyisnoobject cars.

Comment

Thanks, Leo. Great shots. I see that a '56 Golden Hawk is going across the block at Barrett-Jackson today. This is their second year at Hot August Nights, Reno.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Not sure why it took so long for these two entities to connect, but it seems to be a welcome shot in the arm. I do miss some of the earlier small town vibe of the previous years. I think I'll break down and register next year, at least to see what all it does for me.

Comment

Not sure why it took so long for these two entities to connect, but it seems to be a welcome shot in the arm. I do miss some of the earlier small town vibe of the previous years. I think I'll break down and register next year, at least to see what all it does for me.

Just remembered! I passed a maroon Packard Hawk parked last night. Didn't get to see the 57 Elky last night. There was a screaming cool hot rod 1st gen Riviera, turned into roadster seating with twin tubos exiting out a single exhaust nozzle created in the middle of the rear of the car. It looked better than how I described it.

Comment

Hmm, it looks like he removed the little 1/2 Inch deep Fuel Filters from the '51 Hudson before you took the Pic! Just a lot of rubber hose.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What is that nice looking yellow convertable Leo?
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                        What is that nice looking yellow convertable Leo?
                        I'll chime in here. Are you referring to the Packard "Special"? Wouldn't that be a nice car to cruise along the coast in!?
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Wow, that's not just a flat head in that Hornet. It looks like the flight deck on an aircraft carrier!

Mark L
                          Mark L

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                            I'll chime in here. Are you referring to the Packard "Special"? Wouldn't that be a nice car to cruise along the coast in!?
                            I didn't ask. I had my dogs with me and there were too many folks around it. I believe it's a 41 Packard Special. It was purty.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
                              Wow, that's not just a flat head in that Hornet. It looks like the flight deck on an aircraft carrier!

Mark L
                              No doubt! 305ci, he told me. The manifolds were gorgeous and huge. He couldn't tell me how big the pistons were.

Comment

Working...
                              X