Harbit & Krem Choose Perfect Color Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbit & Krem Choose Perfect Color Combo

'Just noticed this item in The Hagerty Daily Blog. It is in the area where members volunteer their stories of why "Life is Better in a Classic," per the current Hagerty theme:

That color combination, described as perfect, is the very color combination Ted Harbit chose when ordering his new, 1957 Silver Hawk. It was a Power Kit 289 with overdrive and, really, a heavy duty clutch. 'Can't imagine why he'd want that.

Ted would later trade that Silver Hawk toward a slightly-used 1957 Golden Hawk 400, a real one we have documented, at Snider Auto Service, Studebaker dealer in Indianapolis.

George Krem bought Ted's Hawk as a used car off Snider's lot, but didn't know until years later that it was the same one Ted had ordered new and traded to Snider.

And the story ended when George traded the Silver Hawk back to Snider, toward his brand new, Bermuda Brown 1964 Studebaker Challenger 2-door, the car that would become known decades later as The Plain Brown Wrapper.

Small World. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That color combination, described as perfect, is the very color combination Ted Harbit chose when ordering his new, 1957 Silver Hawk. It was a Power Kit 289 with overdrive and, really, a heavy duty clutch. 'Can't imagine why he'd want that.
    Yep, CONFIRMED! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=insanity

Craig

Comment

Good link, Craig! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I re-read your post 46 in that linked thread. Is this Friday 50 years of ownership of the PBW by George Krem??

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          I re-read your post 46 in that linked thread. Is this Friday 50 years of ownership of the PBW by George Krem?? Craig
          Sort of, Craig.

In reality, see George's Post # 42 to that topic.

Dealers used to pull that stunt all the time, although they are liable to get busted today for doing so. BP

Comment

And the wheels (caps too ? ) look so cool with the body color on 'em ! I just love two-tone cars, our 56 Sky Hawk was a bit darker blue w/ white, one of our prettiest ever cars. Also, after looking again at Bob's pics in Craig's "Confirmed" thread reference, I can't tell if that car has the blue on the wheels. I have also seen some Hawks with the "pleated" section of the trunk the contrasting color, was this ever factory or just owner preference ?

Comment

My first Studebaker was a 1957 Silver Hawk. It was all wedgewood blue. I've never seen another one, but I also like this two tone with the blue.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                I can't tell if that car has the blue on the wheels. I have also seen some Hawks with the "pleated" section of the trunk the contrasting color, was this ever factory or just owner preference ?
                George will have to answer as to the wheel color, John. I'd almost bet either he or Ted changed them to black along the way.

The washboard portion of the deck lid on 1957-1961 Hawks was body color. Factory 2-toning of that area was not an option, although some people did it as owner preference. BP

Comment

Working...
                X