Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 valve cover decals

Hey guys,

Can I pick your brain? Does anyone remember how shiney the silver was on the valve cover decals on a 283 thunderbolt V8? I know the SI decals are reflective and the only originals I've seen are a dull silver grey, but were also 35 years old. I'm having the correct ones made that don't have the 283 on them. Also, I'm having the air cleaner decal made that says "front" on it. If anyone needs them, let me know. Don't know a price yet.

Nate

They were reflective like chrome. And I think those air cleaner decals are already available. I bought some a few years ago.

Chris.

Comment

Chris,
      Where can you get them? SI doesn't have them right now.

Comment

I'd be interested in the breather decal if its the correct one for a V8 model. The sixes are available.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I am interested in the valve cover and the air cleaner decals enough for one car.

Thanks

Mark

Comment

The decals offer today are no match for the one's made back then.
            After super cleaning and sticking the decal on, it was peeling a few months later.
            My painter came up with the solution....Clear coat the valve cover, breather, filter, or whatever after sticking the decal on............Worked for me.

Comment

I got both the valve cover and air filter stickers from SI.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The early '65 valve cover stickers are different than the later ones, they didn't have engine size on them.
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by alaipairod View Post
                  The decals offer today are no match for the one's made back then.
                  After super cleaning and sticking the decal on, it was peeling a few months later.
                  My painter came up with the solution....Clear coat the valve cover, breather, filter, or whatever after sticking the decal on............Worked for me.
                  You are bang on. Quality today is so far behind that of the 60s. Our new SDC window clings fall in the poor quality level as well. I sprayed window cleaner on my inner windshield the other day and some ran down and under the cling. The result was the printed impression became permanently streaked. Anyone else run into this problem?

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                    You are bang on. Quality today is so far behind that of the 60s. Our new SDC window clings fall in the poor quality level as well. I sprayed window cleaner on my inner windshield the other day and some ran down and under the cling. The result was the printed impression became permanently streaked. Anyone else run into this problem? Stu Chapman
                    Let me see if I have this right-- you managed to get one to stick to a window...?

Impressive!!!

StudeDave '57
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                      Let me see if I have this right-- you managed to get one to stick to a window...?

Impressive!!!

StudeDave '57
                      Yes I did. Inside on windshield, lower left hand corner.

Stu Chapman

Comment

For continuing info on this important but OFF-Topic SDC Windshield Decal issue, Please see the New Post in: "Club and Forum Discussions" Column:

Last edited by StudeRich; 07-31-2014, 02:44 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I may have one or two left. I didn't realise SI had run out.

I also have the rocker cover decals and they seem to be of good quality. But there have been several batches of these over the years.

Comment

Yea, Ed said he isn't reproducing the air cleaner decals right now. As far as the valve cover decals, the only ones available say 283 on them and the early ones did not. I've had good luck with most of the current decals, but am having a hard time finding the correct reflective silver background the original decals were printed on.

Nate

Comment

In the past, we have cut the '283' part off the decal if using them on 1965 models.
                              Last edited by stude dude; 07-30-2014, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X