Spotted a lovely 61 champ truck today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted a lovely 61 champ truck today

I was walking the puppy an hour or so ago and spotted a nice tan champ pickup with the 53 style bed. I walked that way to have a look and the owner was out cleaning the bed liner. We conversed a while. He does not know a lot about Studes but it is a v8 with overdrive. Appears stock except for having lark turn signals. It has modern radial tires and possibly wider wheels.

I suggested he find this forum and join the Club.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

What do you mean by Lark turn signals?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The little grill things next to headlights and turn signals looked wrong on the champ.

Comment

I'm kinda scratching my head on this. Do you mean that the front face had the round signals in lieu of the little chrome grilles with the angular signal lenses? Otherwise, the '61 had the same front end as all the larks did. Oh waitaminit, the Cruiser that year had the dual headlamps! Hey... now that would look cool on a Champ... Click image for larger version

Name:	emo15.gif
Views:	3
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	1691521
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

About the ONLY difference in the front panels of Champ Trucks from '60 to '64 would be the Amber Parking Light Lenses on '63-'64's and the '60 Lark Air Inlet/Parking Light Housings on ALL '60 Champ's only.

The '61 to '64 uses '59 Lark Housings with horizontal "Bars" instead of the '60 Lark Grille Mesh.

Some 3/4 Ton Champs, mostly non-Pickups could have had Class A round fender top mounted Turn Signals ordered like those on Transtars. But still would have to have Lark Air Vent/Parking Lights as usual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	60ChampBlue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1691522 A 1960 Champ.
          Fender side Mouldings follow body line as do '62-'64's but have a concave dished in the center profile.
          The advertised as a " '61" could be a '60.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 07-28-2014, 09:17 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
            What do you mean by Lark turn signals?

More importantly, what kind of puppy? :-)
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
              More importantly, what kind of puppy? :-)
              Black cockapoo. one year old. fun.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                I'm kinda scratching my head on this. Do you mean that the front face had the round signals in lieu of the little chrome grilles with the angular signal lenses? Otherwise, the '61 had the same front end as all the larks did. Oh waitaminit, the Cruiser that year had the dual headlamps! Hey... now that would look cool on a Champ... [ATTACH=CONFIG]36593[/ATTACH]
                OK, the little grill below the turn signal light has vertical bars in addition to horizontal.

Comment

See Post #5, no mystery at all.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So this truck has the 60 grills? Maybe it is a 60 model instead of 61.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                      I'm kinda scratching my head on this. Otherwise, the '61 had the same front end as all the larks did. Oh waitaminit, the Cruiser that year had the dual headlamps! Hey... now that would look cool on a Champ... [ATTACH=CONFIG]36593[/ATTACH]
                      Ron, although the fenders would match up the front end panel had a different curve treatment on top so the early Lark hood would not match up there. also the 61 Lark had a different cowl so in order to put the 61 Lark front end panel on a Champ you would have to cut the 60 Lark hood in half to use the back portion & splice on the front half of a 61 Lark hood. Not saying it couldn't be done but ALOT of work, not a bolt on job for sure. And when it was all finished where are you going to put the air intake for the heater core, or the fresh air intake for the left side?
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Appropos of nothing, but I have always thought the "Lark design" of the Champ worked better on a truck than a car. Of course, I MAY be biased...

Nah.
                        Mike Davis
                        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          See Post #5, no mystery at all.
                          Great looking truck. I have never noticed that style turn signal/vent grill before. Mine just has the horizontal bars that seem to be most prevalent. Were the ones on your truck on certain years only? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0080.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1691533
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Well Warren, maybe it would be easier to cut a '62 two-door behind the door post and patch on the cab back from there. Been thinking of doing that anyway to get more leg room. The Champ cab is a touch cramped for my 6'2" frame. The main grille would fit... I think... Click image for larger version

Name:	emo28.gif
Views:	7
Size:	987 Bytes
ID:	1691534 Then again, if I cut it right behind the back window, it would give me space behind the seat for my jun... ah, tools n' stuff.
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                              Great looking truck. I have never noticed that style turn signal/vent grill before. Mine just has the horizontal bars that seem to be most prevalent. Were the ones on your truck on certain years only? [ATTACH=CONFIG]36612[/ATTACH]
                              This truck is the same color as the one I saw. My sighting had painted bumper though and white wheels.

Comment

Working...
                              X