Rust never sleeps in our neck of the woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust never sleeps in our neck of the woods

Although this isn't Stude related, I thought I'd relate an experience I just had. I found a extremely rare Canadian built Pontiac for sale, much like a similar (although not as rare) model my dad had when I was a kid. It's a '69 Pontiac 2+2. The 2+2 was Pontiac's version of the Impala SS and was built on the Impala chassis. They actually all had Chevrolet engines. Well, I found a 69 2+2 which is one of 10 built with a 427 and 4 speed trans. It is a one owner car with 31000 original miles. The owner is in his late 60's. The car hasn't moved in 8 years. Owner stated the car just needed paint. Asking price was 20 grand. Well, with finances in place I took the 90 minute drive to go see it. From the road, it didn't look bad:

Getting closer revealed a different story. The car sat in a humid garage with a dirt floor. Here is the undercarriage (Check out the mufflers!):

Engine compt:

Interior:

A rare car for sure, but not worth 20 grand! The interior was full of mold (looked like the deadly type!). Mileage was original and it still wore bias ply tires.. Just goes to show you what improper storage can do to a car up here! I thought you California/Arizona guys would get a kick out of this!
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

That looked like my '71 Sport Fury GT when I pulled it out of the ditch in Michigan. Of course, my Plymouth was only $375 and had a blown engine. It cost me $20K to restore.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

That looked like my '71 Sport Fury GT when I pulled it out of the ditch in Michigan. Of course, my Plymouth was only $375 and had a blown engine. It cost me $20K to restore.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Are you sure you didn't take that undercarriage shot from the Tulsa 1957 Plymouth Fury time capsule website? What did the seller have to say about the condition of the car vs. $20k asking price?

Studedude1961
        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Are you sure you didn't take that undercarriage shot from the Tulsa 1957 Plymouth Fury time capsule website? What did the seller have to say about the condition of the car vs. $20k asking price?

Studedude1961
          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Well, to his defence he wasn't in the best of health. He had a "local mechanic" come out and climb underneath and tell him the car was excellent! He said his knees were bad and he couldn't climb underneath to look for himself. He contacted the Canadian Pontiac Registry and based on his description, they told him the car was worth 20 grand. I broke it to him gently as I didn't want to offend him. I said MAYBE 10 grand due to the rarity. Who knows, someone with more time and money may buy it and it will show up at Barrett-Jackson! There are only two others known to exist and one is missing the engine and rotted from the beltline down. I don't know much about the other one.
            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Well, to his defence he wasn't in the best of health. He had a "local mechanic" come out and climb underneath and tell him the car was excellent! He said his knees were bad and he couldn't climb underneath to look for himself. He contacted the Canadian Pontiac Registry and based on his description, they told him the car was worth 20 grand. I broke it to him gently as I didn't want to offend him. I said MAYBE 10 grand due to the rarity. Who knows, someone with more time and money may buy it and it will show up at Barrett-Jackson! There are only two others known to exist and one is missing the engine and rotted from the beltline down. I don't know much about the other one.
              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Well, to his defence he wasn't in the best of health. He had a "local mechanic" come out and climb underneath and tell him the car was excellent! He said his knees were bad and he couldn't climb underneath to look for himself.
                From what I can see in the photos, that car still looks saveable to me! I definitely wouldn't pay 20 grand for it, but if I was in the market for one, I give it a good looking over. Did you actually get to poke at the frame with a screwdriver? Of just a look-see? I have seen worse!! A LOT worse!

Craig

Comment

Well, to his defence he wasn't in the best of health. He had a "local mechanic" come out and climb underneath and tell him the car was excellent! He said his knees were bad and he couldn't climb underneath to look for himself.
                  From what I can see in the photos, that car still looks saveable to me! I definitely wouldn't pay 20 grand for it, but if I was in the market for one, I give it a good looking over. Did you actually get to poke at the frame with a screwdriver? Of just a look-see? I have seen worse!! A LOT worse!

Craig

Comment

I guess I am a half full kinda guy. If there was only 10 built and two running the streets I think it is a bargin. I have learned when restoring a car the cost of the car is not the expense , it is the rest. If you are going to resell then this car stands a better chance then lets say a Camero of making money. If this car was close to home I would make a run at it as big block rare cars are the craze right now. As far as rust goes, it is all fixable. Saying all this I am a person who thinks all cars can be saved.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I guess I am a half full kinda guy. If there was only 10 built and two running the streets I think it is a bargin. I have learned when restoring a car the cost of the car is not the expense , it is the rest. If you are going to resell then this car stands a better chance then lets say a Camero of making money. If this car was close to home I would make a run at it as big block rare cars are the craze right now. As far as rust goes, it is all fixable. Saying all this I am a person who thinks all cars can be saved.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                      Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I didn't say it couldn't be saved, it's just a case of do I want to spend the money to do it. A car like this deserves a full frame off resto using correct parts. Concourse restoring a 69 Pontiac is not a cheap undertaking. NOS parts (other than those that are common to Impalas) are pretty much impossible to find. You'd want to find a solid low mileage standard '69 Pontiac for parts (which I missed out on by a day!) The market is tricky on these cars. They don't have the following of say a Camaro, Chevelle or Cuda. I spoke to a well versed Pontiac guy who is also an appraiser of old cars. He said the car is worth $10-15k in it's current condition.
                        Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

I didn't say it couldn't be saved, it's just a case of do I want to spend the money to do it. A car like this deserves a full frame off resto using correct parts. Concourse restoring a 69 Pontiac is not a cheap undertaking. NOS parts (other than those that are common to Impalas) are pretty much impossible to find. You'd want to find a solid low mileage standard '69 Pontiac for parts (which I missed out on by a day!) The market is tricky on these cars. They don't have the following of say a Camaro, Chevelle or Cuda. I spoke to a well versed Pontiac guy who is also an appraiser of old cars. He said the car is worth $10-15k in it's current condition.
                          Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

The market is tricky on these cars. They don't have the following of say a Camaro, Chevelle or Cuda.
                            Or an American Pontiac, even in Canada!! Grand Prix's, Bonnevilles, Catalinas and Star Chiefs are rather rare here in Canada, and seem to be more in demand than your Grande Parisiennes, (regular) Parisiennes, Laurentians, et al, at least here in Alberta, anyway.

Craig

Comment

The market is tricky on these cars. They don't have the following of say a Camaro, Chevelle or Cuda.
                              Or an American Pontiac, even in Canada!! Grand Prix's, Bonnevilles, Catalinas and Star Chiefs are rather rare here in Canada, and seem to be more in demand than your Grande Parisiennes, (regular) Parisiennes, Laurentians, et al, at least here in Alberta, anyway.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X