1953 Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Fuel Tank

1953 Chevy fuel tank ($97 on ebay) compared to 1953 Studebaker Coupe. Also a fuel pickup from Tanks Inc. I put these pics on forum to show a replacement fuel tank that will work with minor tweaks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0868.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1744370Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0866.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1744371

Name:	DSCF0865.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1744372Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0864.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1744373

thanks for posting, as tanks are getting impossible to find and the new gas seems to like to rot them this will give us another option
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Alexander. Call Tanks Inc. and talk to them by phone. I sent them a e-mail a while back about them making a tank for the stude's and they said they would be more than happy to convert one of their tanks over to fit if I had a good tank for them to use as a base. Just haven't had the time to get to it yet.

Comment

I have an excellent tank from a 53 C.....offers?
        Bill Foy
        1000 Islands, Ontario
        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

That is not the story they told me this spring when I was up there. I had my '53coupe tank with me and we took photos and measurements of it with their tank #B1-A... that is an early '50's Buick tank. I suggested they could use that bottom stamping and just make a new top stamping. He apparently checked with his manufacturer (China?) and I got a call a month later telling me they couldn't do it. He said that there would be a $30,000 set-up fee to make a Stude tank.
          I posted a thread on this forum at that time seeing what kind of interest there would be.... 5 tanks were requested at that time... no where near enough.
          Consequently I purchased the B1-A tank and modified it to fit my car.

Comment

So. what was involved to make the B1-A tank work for you?
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I noticed a typo error in my original post it should READ 55 CHEVY - I haven't been around since I posted my thread but main reason I did was to show a useable substitute at low cost ($97 with free delivery , $20 for tank straps and $22 for fuel pickup) A side benefit is a little more room to run dual exhaust.
              Last edited by Alexander Feiman; 08-03-2014, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Billy View Post
                I have an excellent tank from a 53 C.....offers?
                sals54

Comment

For my 53 I used the Tanks Inc tank designed for the 49-52 Chevy. I tried the 53-54 tank and could not get the filler to work. The 49-52 tank is deeper than a Stude tank but it has not presented a problem. I fabricated a simple frame work out of 1 inch square tubing and flat strap so I could mount the tank in the manner Chevrolet did with straps under the tank as Chevy did. It has worked fine for 8 years and 30,000 miles. I used their in-tank fuel injection pump as well.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Here is my old tank & the modified B1-A tank from Tanksinc. As you can see, I was able to clear the frame with their original filler, so I just brazed a freeze plug into that opening., I drilled a new hole (DOUBLE CHECK LOCATION) and trimmed a piece off of the filler tube that comes with the tank & brazed it into place (TRIPLE CHECK THE ANGLE YOU WILL NEED) and then cut and brazed three mounting tabs to mount the tank to the Stude frame and trunk floor. I decided not to move the sender location & ended up drilling another 4" hole in the trunk floor. I also had to drill a hole into the tank for my pickup tube. (In retrospect I could have purchased the GM sender that has the pickup tube in it and saved drilling another hole and more brazing on the tank.) I connected a Schrader valve to the tank's pickup tube and pressurized it looking for leaks before mounting it in the car.

Name:	IMG_7286.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1691640Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7285.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1691641

Comment

Nice work. Looks like it'll fit just fine.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The tank fits fine & I had the '53 out for another drive this afternoon. In order to avoid the dreaded ethanol, I have to use BP Premium, so I put another 10 gallons in the tank and cruised a bit. A lot of "thumbs up" when I passed the local Farmers Market.

Comment

Working...
                        X