Project Avanti Value??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Avanti Value??

30 years or so ago I sold a '63 R-2 Powershift Avanti to a friend. I bought it at a Chevrolet dealer and drove it 60 miles or so to my home then sold it to him. It was pretty shabby- broken driver's seat, bad dash, poor apparent collision repair to front fiberglas, noisy rear end. The headlight bezels had been stolen off it. But it ran well. Friend pulled the engine and had a machine shop run by his friend completely rebuild the engine. I didn't think that was necessary, but his car, his money. He installed a different rear end and that's about it. Hasn't been driven since it was driven in to his driveway all those years ago. Engine is OK, frame and hog troughs are fine. Transmission may be suspect now. He has a chance to sell it locally for cash and he asked my opinion as to price. Any thoughts as to what it's worth?
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

You have been around here long enough to know we need pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      You're right. I'm about 10 miles from the car, but should have a chance to see it this afternoon so I'll try to get some shots.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I'll take a stab at it with a guesstimate of $3000-$4000.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          By the time I got there the car was already sold, so, sorry, no pictures. I don't know the final amount.

Comment

Sounds like a new student has arrived to learn the subject "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti."
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
              Sounds like a new student has arrived to learn the subject "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti."
              Actually, he is the owner of a high dollar restoration shop. He decided that he wanted a R-2 4-speed, but just bought a pristine, very original, low miles R-1 4-speed that had been priced at $23,000 (doubt if he paid that much). I think he is seeing the project R-2 as a potential power train swap.

Comment

Working...
              X