1965 Daytona Sport Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 1965 Daytona Sport Sedan

Last edited by Daytona Dick; 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM. Reason: removed email address

I do believe you have to lube the cable, even if it's new. I'd see if there is a lube cup for the speedo also.

Comment

I'd check the speedometer also. I had a similar issue that was caused by a gummed up speedometer requiring too much torque to spin. A new speedometer and cable core fixed my problem.

Comment

Yes, lub the cable core before inserting it in the outer sheath, even if the part you purchased is a complete cable (inner, removable core and outer protective sheath). If only purchasing the inner core and you have the outer sheath removed, try to wash the old gummy or caked lub out of the outer sheath. Then, lub the new core, and move it back and forth in the housing to work some new lub into the sheath. Check to make sure the outer sheath is not kinked or smashed somewhere along its length. Turn the speedometer by hand by turning the part where the cable attaches to make sure the speedometer and odometer are turning freely. ~ Dale

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawk View Post
          Yes, lub the cable core before inserting it in the outer sheath, even if the part you purchased is a complete cable (inner, removable core and outer protective sheath). If only purchasing the inner core and you have the outer sheath removed, try to wash the old gummy or caked lub out of the outer sheath. Then, lub the new core, and move it back and forth in the housing to work some new lub into the sheath. Check to make sure the outer sheath is not kinked or smashed somewhere along its length. Turn the speedometer by hand by turning the part where the cable attaches to make sure the speedometer and odometer are turning freely. ~ Dale
          The above is an answer that I agree with.
          Welcome to the SDC Forum!
          Your car is a Daytona Sports Sedan.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Many Thanks to blackhawk and studegary. I mentioned this to my young mechanic when he put the first complete cable in but he said it was a "sealed" unit and put it in without any extra lube. If one of you would care to elaborate a little, how should he go about taking it apart to lube the new one I have. Service manual was no help to us with this particular item.

Comment

Thanks for all the help and advice. I found a shop in Bloomington, MN that knew what was happening from my story. They specialize in vintage cards and instrument repair. I need to rebuild/replace my speedometer.

Comment

Dick-- If you climb under the dash and remove the speedo, take it over to your workbench and GENTLY pry back the tabs holding the case together. Remove the speedo mechanism from the case. There is, as I recall, a hole in the bushing that surrounds the cable input shaft. That is a lubrication hole. Try to get some penetrant in there. The best penetrant BY FAR is a mix of acetone and ATF, 50/50. Let it sit a bit, then try to free it up as follows: grab an old #2 Robertson screwdriver tip. You may have to carefully grind it a little, but you can make a speedo "driver" out of it. Chuck it into your electric drill, and use it to spin the speedo. After it frees up, then lube that hole with aerosol lithium grease (WD-40 brand makes some, so does Liquid Wrench brand). Make sure it's Lithium Grease, not penetrating oil. Work it in, using your home-made drill-driver. Reassemble and install. THIS is why you were breaking cables... Oh, and be sure to soak the wick inside that holds lubricant for an extended time.
                1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                1951 Champion Business Coupe
                1951 Commander Starlight
                1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                1953 Champion Starlight
                1953 Commander Starliner
                1953 2R5
                1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                1959 Silver Hawk
                1961 Hawk