School Teachers & Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Teachers & Studebakers

Forum member Rod Ownesby just posted that he teaches at a 1,400-student high school. It brought to mind the fact that school teachers were among Studebaker's steadiest clientele.

Among the files extant in South Bend are years of new owner data cards, filled out by the dealer and sent to South Bend HQ for tabulation as to occupation of new Studebaker buyers, the Salesman's name, previous Studebaker ownership, etc; ordinary market research.

While doing other research, cousin George Krem and I looked up his card for the data submitted when he bought The Plain Brown Wrapper ['64 Challenger R3 clone, for any newbies] new in August 1964. Sure enough, his occupation was listed as school teacher...which he was, sort of, in that I don't think he had actually started teaching music full time as of the day he bought the car. Among other things, we saw our Uncle Jerry Palma's name listed as Salesman for the deal, which he was.

So how many folks on the Forum and/or in the Studebaker hobby do you know (perhaps yourself) whose primary occupation is school teacher? I'll kick it off with someone we all know: Ted Harbit's entire working life was spent in public school teaching and coaching. SDCer Ron Johnson of Rockford IL taught Auto Shop for years and was the prime mover behind SDC Brake Guru Jim Turner's gravitation toward Studebakers. I personally graduated from Purdue University (Hail Purdue!) in Industrial Arts Education and taught Auto Mechanics for the first four years of my working life.

Anyone else? It will be interesting to see the representation of the teaching profession, today, among Studebaker enthusiasts. Even if you don't personally teach school, perhaps you know someone who does and who is a Studebaker enthusiast. (Note: This is not the venue to vent your wrath about the oddball Englsh teacher who always drove a Studebaker Champion...if she wasn't an oddball, she would have driven a Chevy Six.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Not venting my wrath at all at my English teacher Robert (Daddy-O) Stager who taught me Junior English and drove a brand new Black over Monterey Red Power Hawk and parked it outside study hall. He inspired me to paint my '50 Land Cruiser to match it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Not venting my wrath at all at my English teacher Robert (Daddy-O) Stager who taught me Junior English and drove a brand new Black over Monterey Red Power Hawk and parked it outside study hall. He inspired me to paint my '50 Land Cruiser to match it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '60 Lark VI
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Well, you can count me among those who have made the choise to work with young people.

Wonder if it has anything to do with how much teachers made and how much Studebaker charged for new cars...

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
        [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
        [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/th7E7-11-20021.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

Well, you can count me among those who have made the choise to work with young people.

Wonder if it has anything to do with how much teachers made and how much Studebaker charged for new cars...

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
          [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
          [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/th7E7-11-20021.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

Great Topic Bob!
            I'll be the first to reply:
            I know of two- first, my Father- the reason for my Studebaker passion- Garry Davis- was a school teacher and driver educator for the majority of his career. He currently owns two restored Studes- 54 Commander Starliner and 54 3R5 Pickup- and has a 47 Commander Convertible waiting in the wings as a restoration project.
            Second- a member that many will know- Gene Searcy- while a Doctor of Veterinary medecine by trade, most of his career was spent as a Professor of Veterinary Pathology at the University of Saskatchewan. His current Studes are a 56 President Classic, 62 2 Ton truck, and a 50 Commander Starlight. His previously owned Stude list is quite a rap sheet!

Evan Davis
            Prairie Bulletin
            Saskatchewan Chapter
            Prince Albert, Sk
            Evan Davis
            Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Great Topic Bob!
              I'll be the first to reply:
              I know of two- first, my Father- the reason for my Studebaker passion- Garry Davis- was a school teacher and driver educator for the majority of his career. He currently owns two restored Studes- 54 Commander Starliner and 54 3R5 Pickup- and has a 47 Commander Convertible waiting in the wings as a restoration project.
              Second- a member that many will know- Gene Searcy- while a Doctor of Veterinary medecine by trade, most of his career was spent as a Professor of Veterinary Pathology at the University of Saskatchewan. His current Studes are a 56 President Classic, 62 2 Ton truck, and a 50 Commander Starlight. His previously owned Stude list is quite a rap sheet!

Evan Davis
              Prairie Bulletin
              Saskatchewan Chapter
              Prince Albert, Sk
              Evan Davis
              Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Well here's one. I spent 37 years "feeding at the public trough" as the tax payers like to say. I drove to my first teaching job in 1964, Jr. Hi math, in a 53 Commander K. I drove to my last job as a High School counselor in a 64 Champ. In the latter years I had a picture of a 53 K in my office and would ask kids what they thought it was. Most common guesses were Jaguar or T-Bird. I had one kid who knew it was a Stude.

Don Wilson
                53 Commander Hardtop
                64 Champ 1/2 ton
                Centralia, WA
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Well here's one. I spent 37 years "feeding at the public trough" as the tax payers like to say. I drove to my first teaching job in 1964, Jr. Hi math, in a 53 Commander K. I drove to my last job as a High School counselor in a 64 Champ. In the latter years I had a picture of a 53 K in my office and would ask kids what they thought it was. Most common guesses were Jaguar or T-Bird. I had one kid who knew it was a Stude.

Don Wilson
                  53 Commander Hardtop
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton
                  Centralia, WA
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Ah... I'm married to a teacher. She was schooled in the ways of Studebakering by me from the moment we met in '81. When recently I proposed we sell the Lark ragtop, she made it clear that that wouldn't be advisable.[}][:X]

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ah... I'm married to a teacher. She was schooled in the ways of Studebakering by me from the moment we met in '81. When recently I proposed we sell the Lark ragtop, she made it clear that that wouldn't be advisable.[}][:X]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My wife is currently teaching at the college level (Virginia Commonwealth University) and abhors anything Studebaker (especially when it is in, around or near our house).

Frank Drumheller (studelark) was a professional educator, though owned Model A's and Kaiser-Fraser products before he saw the light. As you may be aware, Leonard Shepherd's (lstude) mother was a teacher and regularly bought Studebakers.

Also, if I recall correctly, the father of the late Sam Miller was a professor at the University of Virginia and bought Studebakers up until 1966.

Comment

My wife is currently teaching at the college level (Virginia Commonwealth University) and abhors anything Studebaker (especially when it is in, around or near our house).

Frank Drumheller (studelark) was a professional educator, though owned Model A's and Kaiser-Fraser products before he saw the light. As you may be aware, Leonard Shepherd's (lstude) mother was a teacher and regularly bought Studebakers.

Also, if I recall correctly, the father of the late Sam Miller was a professor at the University of Virginia and bought Studebakers up until 1966.

Comment

22 years HS Math and Computer Science; 11 years college and university Computer Science. My wife taught 30 years.

No Studes while I taught, but 6 Corvairs including one rebuilt in the school shop.

Now retired and one Stude for summer fun

Mike

got my '59 Lark

Comment

22 years HS Math and Computer Science; 11 years college and university Computer Science. My wife taught 30 years.

No Studes while I taught, but 6 Corvairs including one rebuilt in the school shop.

Now retired and one Stude for summer fun

Mike

got my '59 Lark

Comment

Working...
                              X