Avanti A/C info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti A/C info

Just starting to look for an Avanti to purchase. I've been told that the passenger compartment gets hot if there is no air-conditioning. I've found a 63 R1 with no air. Can "factory" air be added and what would it involve besides the obvious compressor ,etc. Are the only vents in the interior the 2 that are above the console? Since this seems to be a well known issue, does anyone do a complete retro fit with "factory" air?

Hello,
    Yes a/c can be added. I guess look for someone wrecking an Avanti/ Avanti 2 for the parts you need. They do seem to pop up now and again, some one here might have one for you. There is also 1 vent hole on either side of the transmission hump in the kick panel. These are different to the standard kick panel as they are wider.
    pb

Comment

There's no reason it can't be done. There's no "a/c" spec radiator...about the only differences would be the spacers added to the front coil springs to account for the additional weight of the a/c system and the recommendation of tinted glass.

Obtaining all the parts is likely to be a headache. Finding a NOS evaporator is expensive if you can find one at all. Used evaporators are still fifty years old and who knows how good they are. New hoses can be made up.

Unless you're a purist and want to keep the car as Studebaker built it, talk to Mike Myer at Myer's Studebaker. He's worked out installing a Vintage Air unit that's integrated with the heating system. Unless you know what's correct for an Avanti it's barely noticeable and not obvious to most. He installed such a system in my '70 Avanti and it will freeze you out of the car. He used my existing GM R-4 compressor but you can specify a Sanden type unit which is smaller and more efficient than the original type.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
      X