PDA

View Full Version : Project A: Leaf Springs Removal and Arching



63Avanti
09-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Leaf Spring Arch measurements:
Ok, axle is pulled, blasted, primed and in the "Drive Line Services" shop for highway gearing.

Next item:
Leaf Springs (this is a '63 Avanti) looked low to me. But then again, how would I "know". I understand that Avanti used leaf springs from a Studebaker Truck for better control.

Questions:
1. What is the height of the top of the arch,top of the highest leaf(in inches) with the springs upside down on the ground?
2. Who do you recommend in North Central TX, or just TX, for spring re-arching? URL/Phone number please!
3. Where Can I get extra long springs for the do-itself approach?
4. bet I forgot something!

thanks!


Terry,
1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065 http://sterkel.org/avanti
1985 Kubota L2202 (Diesel)
2000 VW Jetta GLS

showbizkid
09-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Terry, I had the springs in my Grand Wag re-arched a few years ago. There should be a spring shop in your area; just check the yellow pages under "automotive services." There's usually one shop that's been around forever that can do this work without any problem.


[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

rockne10
09-26-2006, 08:21 PM
In central Pa that's Penn Public Truck & Equipment in Altoona. They have specs for many older cars and may be able to build new springs for less than you think, and they also re-arch and re-bush. Since I don't know where you're at, that may or may not help.:D

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

63Avanti
09-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I live in northern Texas, yee'haw!


quote:Originally posted by tsterkel

Leaf Spring Arch measurements:
Ok, axle is pulled, blasted, primed and in the "Drive Line Services" shop for highway gearing.

Next item:
Leaf Springs (this is a '63 Avanti) looked low to me. But then again, how would I "know". I understand that Avanti used leaf springs from a Studebaker Truck for better control.

Questions:
1. What is the height of the top of the arch,top of the highest leaf(in inches) with the springs upside down on the ground?
2. Who do you recommend for spring re-arching? URL/Phone number please!
3. Where Can I get extra long springs for the do-itself approach?
4. bet I forgot something!

thanks!


Terry,
1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065 http://sterkel.org/avanti
1985 Kubota L2202 (Diesel)
2000 VW Jetta GLS


Terry,
1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065 http://sterkel.org/avanti
1985 Kubota L2202 (Diesel)
2000 VW Jetta GLS

63Avanti
09-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Interesting, I have had little trouble with removing suspension nuts/bolts. Spray on the Kroil, turn, if it does not turn easy to medium-hard, spray again and wait a few hours.

This does not work with the Leaf Springs. While I can remove the nut, the bolt is frozen in the bushing, I think, even after one week.

Other than me getting out the Sawzall, what are my options.

Terry,
1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065 http://sterkel.org/avanti
1985 Kubota L2202 (Diesel)
2000 VW Jetta GLS

N8N
09-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Sawzall or cutoff wheel really is your best option. Just plan on buying new spring bushings. The problem is that the spring bushings are like really big shock bushings with metal sleeves; the metal sleeve has rusted to the bolt and you are not going to get it free if it's really rusted. This is not as horrible as it sounds; you probably should have bought new bushings anyway.

Like the front suspension bushings, don't tighten down the leaf spring bolts until the car is on the ground and "settled."

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Neal IN
09-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Do the bolts come out of the shackles or do you have to replace the whole shackle?
I have been looking for new shackles and have not found a source.

Neal

63Avanti
09-29-2006, 12:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Neal IN

Do the bolts come out of the shackles or do you have to replace the whole shackle?
I have been looking for new shackles and have not found a source.

Neal

my plan is to cut through the bushings, preserving the brackets/shackles

Terry,
1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065 http://sterkel.org/avanti
1985 Kubota L2202 (Diesel)
2000 VW Jetta GLS

64V-K7
09-30-2006, 08:17 AM
You will, most likely, have to sawz-all the bolts the release the springs. That's the easy part. Replacing the bushings, especially the one in the frame, will be the challenge. I've done a half dozen cars and none have been able to be removed, with the threaded rod/socket trick.
What I resorted to, was to destroy the rubber and punch out the center steel collar, then remove the balance of the rubber and carefully cut through the outer bushing shell with a hack saw blade.
You can install the bushing with the threaded rods, etc, in both the frame and spring loops. Use some anti-sieze, on the shell, for the next guy
Re-arching the springs isn't always a permanent fix, but on the light end of an Avanti, it may stay for a while. One alternative is to add a leaf or two, which will stiffen up the original pack and get the car back to the original height.
Be sure you note (on both sides) which holes, the front bushing was mounted in.

53k
10-18-2006, 09:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

You will, most likely, have to sawz-all the bolts the release the springs. That's the easy part. Replacing the bushings, especially the one in the frame, will be the challenge. I've done a half dozen cars and none have been able to be removed, with the threaded rod/socket trick.
What I resorted to, was to destroy the rubber and punch out the center steel collar, then remove the balance of the rubber and carefully cut through the outer bushing shell with a hack saw blade.
You can install the bushing with the threaded rods, etc, in both the frame and spring loops. Use some anti-sieze, on the shell, for the next guy....

I just went through all this yesterday and today. I followed Bob's good advice and sawed off the bushing bolts with a Sawz-All. I went through five bi-metal heavy metal-rated Sawz-All blades to make four cuts. I only did the lower rear bushings for now. I could see that they were really bad and I didn't want to go through removing the entire springs so I did this on the car. I didn't have any trouble getting the rubber off the out sleeve of the old bushings. I pushed out the rubber with my finger. Do these bushings look like they were shot?:):)
http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/worn%20out%20spring%20bushings.JPG
I installed the new bushings pretty easily with a pusher/puller made of a long bolt, nut and washers. I used a socket that lined up with the outer sleeve of the bushing on the pusher end and another socket on the nut and washer end to allow the "snout" of the bushing to go to its proper depth.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/bushing%20pusher-puller.JPG
I dread trying to get at the front bushing. With a "X" frame... And, it looks like the gas tank has to be dropped to get at the shackle to frame bushing in the back.[xx(]

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine