Fuel Sending Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel Sending Unit

Just changed the fuel sending unit in my 1960 Hawk. The old unit was leaking gas from the top center of the unit. Not the gasket. Installed the new unit. Started the car. It ran for about 4 minutes and it died. Now can't get it started. A little gas in the carb and it starts. It appears the fuel is not getting where it is supposed to. Any ideas or suggestions

Burke, Hawk60

The following happened to me. Had a new fuel pump installed, fuel filter, tune up. Car was doing as yours is, plus had sputtering when underway. Replaced the gas cap. All cars with carbs have vented gas caps. They just clog or wear out over time. Problem solved. Picked my new one up at Napa.

You also may want to put in Lucas Oil Safeguard, which is a enthanol stabilizing product to your gas tank.

Comment

You may have been sucking air through that tiny hole in the sender, so indeed a new gas cap might solve it. I just went round & round with the local O'Rileys who insisted that Studebaker did not have vented gas caps. I drove about a quarter mile down the road to Advance Auto Parts & they had two in stock.

Comment

It makes sense, you sealed the tank's only vent/air supply and now it is sealed because of a BAD or Wrong Cap.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What was the part number of that cap- from Advance Auto Parts?

Comment

I's a good thing I forgot to empty the trash can in the shop last week.
            It is a STANT 10640, made in Mexico.

Comment

Crosses to 34013 at Car Quest. This is a vented cap, correct for 57 Commander 259 V8?

Comment

Yes all Studebakers EXCEPT: the '62 to '66 Larks, Lark Types, & Avanti with external venting and '59-'66 Wagons (also Vented), use this Vented Type Cap.

The only exception I can think of is the Trucks that have an exposed Cap do not use the ugly Cap with "handles", they use the nice Stainless Steel smooth one, also vented.

The Stant 10640 crosses to NAPA:
                Part Number: BK 7031033
                Product Line: Balkamp

Where I live NAPA gets $5.49

Last edited by StudeRich; 07-24-2014, 12:12 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich.

Comment

Now that we are all "capped", let's drive those Studes!

Comment

Working...
                    X