53 At The Scrapyard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 At The Scrapyard!

I was at the scrapyard recycling some aluminum and my friend that works there tells my to look at what's going over the scales. The owner had always intended to "fix it up someday", but in retirement realized that would never happen. So off the the metal recycler he went. Not sure why he didn't try to sell it. Not to worry, this car did not get crushed. My friend who owned a 54 in the past will be saving this one.
    Attached Files

People must be getting pretty desperate for cash with the economy in the toilet. Now that Steel is up, it must be tempting to some. That is just despicable!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ya,but not to mention some people simply think "it's just an old Studebaker,and who the H - - - would want that junk"
      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      People must be getting pretty desperate for cash with the economy in the toilet. Now that Steel is up, it must be tempting to some. That is just despicable!
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

All scrappers should be mandated to publish locally, or however, any and all Studebakers that are to be scrapped 48 hours before that happens.
        That would at least cast a life line out to save the remaining Studebakers....................

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
          Ya,but not to mention some people simply think "it's just an old Studebaker,and who the H - - - would want that junk"
          But THIS one was somebody's future "Project"!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A metal recycler in my are faithfully puts ANY interesting or older cars that are dropped off out front of his place for at least two weeks before crushing. He's on a major road, and doing this gives some of these vehicles a 'second chance'. One of those interesting Chevrolet Corvair 'Stepside'(?) pickup trucks was saved by a Corvair collector because of this courtesy.

Comment

Right,but then again that's what some of them SAY just because it's an old car (maybe not because it's a Studebaker in particular) and then the truth comes out,just an old junk - I've met a few like that
              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              But THIS one was somebody's future "Project"!
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

To be fair, us motorheads are kind of a minority. To most folks, a car that looks like that '53 is just a pile of junk. They can't see the potential that we can. And Kash is King.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Good to hear it has been saved!!
                  That poor 53 had been advertised on Craigslist for quite some time, I spoke with the PO and discovered it is missing all of the "unobtanium" pieces and since I already have too many of them I had to pass.
                  Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

Thanks for "Saving Another Studebaker".Especially a 1953..

Comment

I am getting ready to haul a 1953 and 1954 hardtops to the junkyard.
                      The junkyard pays more than the Caso's. $500.00 cash for any of the four.
                      Oh save these precious cars
                      I am junking one 1977 and a 1978 Eldo because I spend more time with tire kickers
                      and cheap ass Cadillac owners.
                      No pictures ,trades or haggling, come and get them with cash in hand.
                      Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by MChance View Post
                        Good to hear it has been saved!!
                        That poor 53 had been advertised on Craigslist for quite some time, I spoke with the PO and discovered it is missing all of the "unobtanium" pieces and since I already have too many of them I had to pass.
                        So...what was the asking price on Craigslist?
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I am getting ready to haul a 1953 and 1954 hardtops to the junkyard.
                          The junkyard pays more than the Caso's. $500.00 cash for any of the four.
                          Oh save these precious cars
                          I am junking one 1977 and a 1978 Eldo because I spend more time with tire kickers
                          and cheap ass Cadillac owners.

Comment

Well, better condition cars have been destroyed even without a scrapper involved.
                            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Friday I went to a junk yard that had 6 Studebakers. All were picked over pretty good but still contained some jewels. I got 2 heater control valves that fit 59/60 Larks & all Champs along with a deck lid from a 64 Cruiser. The Cruiser was highly optioned at one time but was missing the a/c & all the disc brake hardware but the l/f rotor was still sitting on the ground. A 63 Lark 2 door Custom was sitting there too but I couldn't get near enough to see what it contained. The r/f fender was gone along with the dash. This place was like a time warp. Even a pair of Morris Minors were spotted.
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X